All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Q3 global phone marketshare figures out

As expected, the global phone market has continued to contract, year on year, in the current economic climate, according to BusinessWire and Strategy Analytics, whose data table is reproduced below, though Q3 did show a shorter term rise. There's no breakdown in smartphone numbers as yet, though these are due any day now. Highlight stats from this data are that Nokia's overall market share is down a smidgen, while Samsung's is on the rise. It's still worth noting that Nokia out sold the next three manufacturers in the table though, combined.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 30-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Unregistered

Suck on that Nokia knockers.

Old 31-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Unregistered

"Apple, in case you were wondering, are lumped under 'Others' and shipped 7.5 million phones.."

Still my company stopped developing for S60 a year ago because our iPhone apps generates about 30 times more profit. Our Symbian/S60 apps were (and still) successful but considering the money we are making from the App Store... well that is a different dimension.
The same was true in the good old UIQ days. S60 phones outsold UIQ devices significantly but the sales of the UIQ apps were much-much higher (not just our sales, check Handango yardstick). Marketshare doesn't matter, demography is. UIQ phone owners were willing (and had the money) to buy stuff for their phones. And maybe they knew that their UIQ phones were able to run 3rd party stuff because SE propagated this feature since day 1. And, of course, P800 was great, fast and innovative.
I'm sorry to say this but it's almost certain that we will never develop for Symbian again despite the zillions of Symbian devices out there and we are not the only company...

Old 31-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Unregistered

^
If you can show us your apps so that we may know what we are missing using a Nokia phone then maybe we will get a realization that Symbian is doomed

Old 31-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Unregistered

Unregistered's mobile app development company above are seeing the world completely differently from what I am seeing. The massive Symbian market is unignorable.

I think that he must be developing for the cloud cuckoo market.

30x more profitable is just BS.

Old 31-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think that he must be developing for the cloud cuckoo market.
Or his applications just aren't very good.

Or he is making it up. Those figures are just confounding people who didn't expect them, fact is Nokia outsell the next three combined. Nokia own everybody else.

Old 31-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Unregistered

Look, I'm not complaining here, our Symbian apps were very profitable. One of them was #1 in it's on category on Handango for years, and occasionally we got into the top10 best selling apps on Nokia Softwaremarket. But those glory days has gone. A few years ago Blackberry apps started to outsell (all devices) Symbian apps on Handango (Handango was almost a monopoly then) and now the sales are... well not that significant. You can check Handango yardsticks if you don't believe me. Or just travel back in time 5 years and compare the then quite vivid Symbian software ecosystem to today's still water. It seems like Symbian developers are not raking in money... However, I can't tell anything about OVI store because we didn't bother converting our once quite profitable Nokia Softwaremarket account.

"fact is Nokia outsell the next three combined. Nokia own everybody else. "

Doesn't matter. This is why I bought up the UIQ example in my first post. OK, you can argue that you don't care about 3rd party developers, but a platform without apps is a dead platform.

Old 31-10-2009, 10:43 PM

RollerSMB is on a distinguished road
So..

@Unregistered (the developer )

What app did your company develop? Just curious, if you are getting 30x more hits using the apple store, perhaps putting your app on the ovi store might make for more hits?

Old 31-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Unregistered

Maybe you are right but *in my opinion* it doesn't worth because the process is not very easy/fast/cheap. We are too busy porting our stuff to Android

One more thing: I do hope I'm wrong with this Nokia/Symbian thing because despite the cold climate and darkness (and the fact that Finlandia vodka is the most expensive in Finland... ) I kind of like Finland and Finnish people. I love to be there. And Nokia is very important for their economy.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

"fact is Nokia outsell the next three combined. Nokia own everybody else. "

Doesn't matter. This is why I bought up the UIQ example in my first post. OK, you can argue that you don't care about 3rd party developers, but a platform without apps is a dead platform.
It does matter to me, because I sell far more apps on Symbian than anything else. You can't ignore that many million potential customers unless you are a very short sighted business man.

You marketing must be broken. I wouldn't just stick stuff through Handango and hope, because Handango don't market themselves well and they want too big a slice of the pie for doing f*** all. There are far better methods, you have to think beyond Europe. I'm not going to give too much else away though.

I am also porting to Android,I expect to do OK out of this for the next 12 months. There is absolutely no point wasting time with iPhone apps though, they are saturated. It's like trying to sell pebbles on the beach.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Unregistered

PS: Handango has never been a monopoly.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

"I wouldn't just stick stuff through Handango and hope, because Handango don't market themselves well"

Our apps are/were available on Handango, Softwaremarket, Motricity/Mobile2Day, and our own PayPal web shop. And as I mentioned previously, they did quite well. But lately, the numbers told me that it doesn't worth to bother about OVI Store. Maybe I'm wrong here but I can afford it because our BlackBerry and especially our iPhone app sales are skyrocketing.
I agree that the 'noise' on the App Store is getting higher and higher and Apple is a control freak and well, we don't trust Apple, quite often they screw up their partners etc. this is why we are busy porting our apps to Android.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Interesting how none of these 'developers' will tell us who they are, and what apps they developed.
However I do agree with many of their points, the mass market really doesn't know what Symbian is, nokia's symbian devices are seen as phones not as smartphones. Symbian needs to be promoted as Android is. When you buy an Android device you know it is Android.
How many Symbian geeks will still be using the platform in a year, many long time users have switched to other platforms, many more I expect will jump ship to maemo when the N900 comes out.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 01-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Unregistered

I think AAS' comments are either being facile or are pure bravado. All ships rise in a growing market. There is business case study after business case study of market incumbents that sat around an watched their market share slowly get eaten by new entrants. The trend of shrinking market share (especially at the high end) is fairly apparent.

Nokia won the first phone war convincingly. However its a new battle and Nokia appears too unfocused to win this time.

Lark

Old 01-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratkat View Post
How many Symbian geeks will still be using the platform in a year, many long time users have switched to other platforms, many more I expect will jump ship to maemo when the N900 comes out.
I doubt anyone much cares what the geeks do. The geeks are a micro-fraction of the Symbian market.

The N900 isn't going to be a massive seller. It's a chunky bulky object that will have a battery life of a few nanoseconds and this will count against it when normal humans compare it to devices like the Pre.