All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-10-2009, 04:57 PM

PHP6 is on a distinguished road
Video Player for Nokia N97 S60 v5

Hello,

I have already search the forum for any video player for N97. I found UC Player but v2.1.0.3 cannot be installed (some fatal error during installation). Later I searched the google and v2.1.2.5. Since it was for S60 v3 while in N97 there is S60 v5, after installation the software executes but hangs the phone, so the only way to stop it was to turn off the mobile.

1) Could anyone suggest any good Video Player (I am ready even to pay for it) for playing video files: wmv, avi, mpeg, xdiv, divx

2) Could anyone tell me which video codecs that mobile supports by default?

Case someone needs that UC Player v2.1.2.5 you can download it here: Download UC Player v2.1.2.5 from rapidshare.com (please drop me a message if you will make it work on N97)

Thank you in advance

p.s. what I cannot understand is: I have payed more than 600 USD for that device, it seems that it has good CPU, enough space but what the f@ck! why Nokia did not add most wide spread video codecs like wmv, avi, divx, xdiv and mpeg?

Last edited by PHP6; 28-10-2009 at 06:13 PM.

Old 28-10-2009, 05:21 PM

Here is what I have found so far: SmartMovie

Home page: Home page of SmartMovie
Free download: Download SmartMovie from rapidshare.com

It successfully plays xdiv (mpeg-4) video file but playback was with slight jumps (that could be because of hard level compression). So in general it is not a solution...

Last edited by PHP6; 28-10-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Old 28-10-2009, 06:39 PM

Ok, the best solution seems to be video convertion to mp4. The best free software for that seems to be Any Video Converter. Here is step by step how to convert video for your mobile:
  1. Drug and drop the video (any including wmv) to the middle of the program window or use menu 'File > Add video files...'
  2. On the right top corner select 'Mobile Phone MPEG-4...'
  3. On the right bottom corner you will see lots of options, you do not need to change anything except: 'Video Size: 640x360', 'Video Bitrate: 521' or '1024' depend on you, 'Video Framerate: 20' (15 is not enough but 25 is too much).
  4. Go to 'Edit > Options' menu and open 'Video' tab
  5. Select 'Fit to height' box so the max height for the movie will be 360 and the width will be automatically calculated BUT if you prefer to stretch video in your phone than better to select 'Fit to width' option.
  6. Last step is to click 'Encode' button on the top left.
If you will have any difficulties just drop me a message

p.s. I strongly suggest not to use bitrate higher than 1024, even that one is hard to play in high motion. so the best should be something between 512 and 777.

Last edited by PHP6; 28-10-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Ads