All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-10-2009, 08:30 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
i wouldnt say no 3G = fail, i dont use 3G, i have my n97 set to 2G mode, alot of people i know only use 2G as they have wifi.
Some will want 3G and thus will rule out this little gem.
Well said.

I've tended to keep 3G switched off on my N95 and N85, helps battery life a little, and if I've got some podcasts to download, I'll do that at home on the considerably faster WiFi connection.

So comments of no 3g=fail, is in itself a fail.

Old 19-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
>>There is one question that bugs me: does this phone finally support wlans with eap/ttls/pap?

Suspect it's the same as 5800, but as I've no idea what your acronyms mean... 8-)

>>puzzled by what I saw. With the new homescreen it was not possible also to have your next calendar events that most people know from and love about

Yes, this is puzzling. Looks like an early firmware glitch. Suspect it'll come in the first firmware update.

>>Not sure what you mean by the 'controversial' stylus silo. Better to have a stylus silo than having the stylus dangling around like the Omnia i900.

Better not to have one at all and to not have that space 'wasted'.

>>Having used one, the camera is not bad but no 3G is a problem. No evidence that maps is available even as a download.

Yes, this surprised me. Even with cell tower positioning, Maps would be very useful.

>>Nowdays it seems AAS is just a cheerleader for every POS that comes out of Finland.

You've conveniently been screening out all the many critical articles and reviews we've done then?

>>basic 2009 functionality is beyond me. Oh and... I couldn't care less about phones for the 'emerging markets'.

But I bet the BILLIONS of people IN the emerging markets care VERY much. As do people with far less income than you.

>>Why AAS would waste an article and bandwidth on a commenting system that lacks basic antitrolling functionality is beyond me.

ROFL. I've been bugging Rafe about clamping down for ages 8-)

Steve

Old 19-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Unregistered

It's amazing how selfish and insular some people are. Do those that suggest the lack of 3G is a 'Fail' not realise how lucky they are to be in a country that actually has a widely available 3G network(s) ????

If you happen to live in a country that doesn't have 3G, why would you want to pay for a feature that is not usable?

Those that say no 3G is Fail = idiot.

Old 19-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Well said.

I've tended to keep 3G switched off on my N95 and N85, helps battery life a little, and if I've got some podcasts to download, I'll do that at home on the considerably faster WiFi connection.

This is a good idea, I tend to use WiFi for most things as free wireless is almost everywhere for me. I will turn off 3G and see how much difference it makes to battery. I already get 2 days.

Old 19-10-2009, 10:05 AM

nwhitfield is on a distinguished road
No 3G will be a boon for those in areas with patchy, where otherwise a phone would constantly be switching modes, and running the battery down even more.

As others have pointed out, many developing areas simply don't have 3G either - and I remain amazed by people who decide that if a device doesn't suit them, then it must be rubbish; why shouldn't people who have only 2G networks get their hands on 5th edition? There's no rule of nature that says if you've only got 2G available, you can't have a smartphone.

At the suggested street pricing, there's another interesting option for devices such as this - VoIP. I'll shortly be moving all my phones over to VoIP, and since this has WiFi, as long as it will run the latest Nokia SIP settings software, then it's an ideal 'convergence' device for me. You'll pay a similar price for a DECT VoIP phone, which probably won't even have a full colour screen, let alone touch, won't sync as easily with a PC, and certainly can't be used outside of the house.

That makes devices like this very attractive in ways that perhaps wouldn't at first appear obvious.

Old 19-10-2009, 04:10 PM

psiegumfeldt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post

>>puzzled by what I saw. With the new homescreen it was not possible also to have your next calendar events that most people know from and love about

Yes, this is puzzling. Looks like an early firmware glitch. Suspect it'll come in the first firmware update.
Is it not at bit wierd that the error is there both on the X6 and the 5530? Perhaps Nokia meant for it to be like this? Allthough I sure hope not.

I also hope the application shortcut strip gets scrollable as well. I wonder why it is not already.

Old 19-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
With regards to why this article - well as others have pointed out this is a very relevant device for emerging market (or for anyone who is interested in a cheaper handset)... we try and cover as much possible, not just the high end stuff.

With regards to comments - how would people feel about a switch to something like Disqus? I'm trialing this on All About Maemo - www.allaboutmaemo.com - the main down side is it loses the forum integration. Probably best to let me know outside of this comment thread - email rafe a t allaboutsymbian.com or via any other means.

Old 19-10-2009, 07:46 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
I am suprised that in your review you did not comment on the contact notes. How it is not possible to read more than six lines of text; even though the amount of text that can be added is (I think) only limited by the phones memory.

Old 20-10-2009, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
I am suprised that in your review you did not comment on the contact notes. How it is not possible to read more than six lines of text; even though the amount of text that can be added is (I think) only limited by the phones memory.
Err... not sure what you mean. I've just edited a 20 line note. But I agree it's silly the way the contact view only shows one line with "..." at the end. Gah,

Old 20-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Lutin

Map

Guys,
Ovi maps is available for the 5530. I have it installed on my handset and it uses cell tower triangulation to find my position. Get the lastest OVI suite to get maps.

I can confirm that you can't have the upcoming calendar appointments on the homescreen and I can confirm that yes, this is annoying. Actually, that's not quite true - you CAN have the appointments on the homescreen, but then you have to do without the contacts bar at the top. It looks like nokia made this decision on purpose due to the amount of screen room, but I DEFINITELY think that there is room for both contacts and calendar.

The 3g isn't as big an issue for me as I thought. The best browser IMO is currently opera beta 5, which is very fast, even over 2g.

Finally, this phone is fantastic value for money.

Old 20-10-2009, 10:21 AM
heathrowair

I have this phone for a month and fell then broke it when I was riding a cab. I haven't tried so much about it. :( http://heathrowairambulance.com

Old 20-10-2009, 12:28 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
speakers

I was disappointed to find that what look like speakers on the left and right of the front, aren't speakers at all.

Why do the people who design these things think it's best to project the sound in the opposite direction (or to the side)? I challenge you to find a stereo system that does this.

Old 20-10-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Err... not sure what you mean. I've just edited a 20 line note. But I agree it's silly the way the contact view only shows one line with "..." at the end. Gah,
Sorry maybe my fault, not explaining correctly. You have a 20 line note (in notes attached to a contact; not the general notes). Bring up the contact, scroll down past phone numbers, address, etc. to notes. you can only read six lines of the 20 line note. So how do we read the rest of the note?

Old 20-10-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiegumfeldt View Post
Is it not at bit wierd that the error is there both on the X6 and the 5530? Perhaps Nokia meant for it to be like this? Allthough I sure hope not.

I also hope the application shortcut strip gets scrollable as well. I wonder why it is not already.
You can have all you calendar events on the home screen. But if you choose that option then the scrollable contacts are removed and replaced with the shortcut applications.

Old 21-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
Sorry maybe my fault, not explaining correctly. You have a 20 line note (in notes attached to a contact; not the general notes). Bring up the contact, scroll down past phone numbers, address, etc. to notes. you can only read six lines of the 20 line note. So how do we read the rest of the note?
Still not sure we're talking about the same thing. On all my S60 phones, you just get to see one line of a note and have to 'Edit' it to see the full text... 8-(

Or maybe you've got different line endings within the note? Wierd.