All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-10-2009, 06:57 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Phone Freezing after taking calls?

Anyone else had problem with the phone freezing after taking calls?

This had happened a couple of times during the last week, but what really brought it to a head was Thursday.

I have advertised my car for sale on a local internet site, so had quite a few phone calls. The problem is that after about every four calls, the phone just freezes.

When I get a call, the callers number comes up on screen, and the two slidey arrows – one to slide to the right to answer, and the other to slide to left to unlock. I slide right, answer the call, and have the conversation. However, when the caller hangs up, the screen on my phone just has not changed. It still shows the callers number and the two slidey arrows.

No button press on the phone will do anything, even if I leave if for a few mins. No choice but to re-boot. Had to do this four times in one day.

It amazes me that a phone – which is the primary function isn’t it? A talking device? – cannot handle a decent volume of calls in one day.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 11-10-2009, 07:07 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Well, I couldn't even answer a call yesterday, the right slider just didn't do anything at all

Old 11-10-2009, 07:29 AM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
I have noticed that when my phone is locked and i receive a call so that i have to do the slidey thing ... which i have only just got the hang of .... when the call is finished the phone is still in it's "locked" mode, so to clear the screen properly you will have to unlock the phone via the side key, it should then clear the call screen and take you back to your home page.

hope this works for you

Old 11-10-2009, 07:57 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Maybe I should have tried to unlock to the phone too - will try that next time it happens

Old 11-10-2009, 09:20 AM

But why is so 'complicated' just to answer a call?

Surely when a call comes in, it's a simple one button key press to answer, and then another key press to end?

I don't want to have to deal with a mini panic when I get a call... 'Oh no, what button do I press, then which action is it to ensure the phone doesn't lock up on me afterwards.'

I just want a phone that makes it easy to deal with errrm....phone calls. Simple.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 11-10-2009, 09:34 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
Surely when a call comes in, it's a simple one button key press to answer, and then another key press to end?
You mean like the green and red call buttons?

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 11-10-2009, 09:41 AM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post

yeah that's easy peasy when your phone isn't locked - however when it is then you get that blooming slidey thing (unlock/answer) which isn't so friendly - i've even changed my call settings to "answer with any key" and i still get slidey when the phone is locked !! ggrrrrr

Old 11-10-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post

Exactly.

And if they don't do the simple things like answer a call, and end a call, then why are they even there in the first place? If they don't work, they shouldn't be there! No point having them there to serve secondary functions.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 12-10-2009, 11:17 AM

bijt is on a distinguished road
I've had the answer slidey thing crash my phone a few times. Really annoying especially when it's an important call and you have to wait till your phone restarts! grrrr!
Ads

Old 17-10-2009, 02:40 AM

ROBSKI is on a distinguished road
Well I learnt something today... I was reading this thread because my phone would some times play silly buggers when I went to answer a call. The phone would ring and I would try and unlock the phone with the slider on the left then press the green phone to answer. Most of the time this worked for me others it would'nt. So I just rang my mobile and "actually" looked at the screen properly, what do you know you actualy use the screen to unlock the phone...Derrrr!

Thanks for helping me out in a round about way...

Robski

Old 17-10-2009, 08:01 AM

Well, I even resorted to removing the memory card, just in case there was an application / file on there that was somehow corrupting the phone call handling system, but to no avail.

Happened again yesterday, answered a call, slid to the right " Answer" , took the call, the call ended, and the phone just froze. The screen still displaying the caller's number and the two options underneath " Answer' and " Unlock".

And " in the coming weeks" there will be a FW upgrade, which will cure it? I'm not holding my breath - I'd rather be holding another phone....
RM-530
E72-1