All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 21-09-2009, 10:46 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Samsung does need to sort out some of the applications on the i8910 though.

Google maps. The newer versions just don't work. They'll crash out after 2-3 mins. Older versions (3.0.0.12) are OK though.

Opera Mini. Version 4 freezes after a few minutes use. Version 5, although much easier on the eye and a nicer app all round, also slows down to a crawl after a few minutes. (though there is apparently a fix for this). Apparently a Java issue?

Nokia Messaging. I know, i know, it's not supposed to be on the Samsung and the three times i've tried it's royally F'ed my phone (even though others have claimed success). But Samsung needs to make a version of their own, or port Nokia's version over. I REALLY miss it.

Old 21-09-2009, 12:14 PM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
If you want to test out the gaming, the best I've found so far is Prince of Persia HD from Gameloft. I guess it's Java but I must confess I found it quite stunning.

Or am I just easy to please

Old 21-09-2009, 12:23 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Screen Talk

IMO the screen / sunshine issue could be solved by a clamshell like the E90 . Outer screen Transflective . Inner screen AMOLED .

Regards jApi NL

Old 21-09-2009, 03:58 PM

RenkliArif is on a distinguished road
Is Turkish included in the firmware? And support for different language inputs?

Old 21-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
My i8910 came with a fully working 2 year licensed route 66 that walked circles around nokia maps on my n95. It dissappeared at sometime during my rom reflashing. Gps lock times are fantastic on this device btw.
As for 3d games. There is quake 1,2 and 3. The last one looks fantastic at 640x360 resolution running on maximum details with pretty decent frame rates. Of course, none of them are playable since samsung didn't bother making bluetooth keyboard drivers. Hacking your device will allow you to install nokias driver which works great.

Old 21-09-2009, 05:25 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKJeeper View Post
Google maps. The newer versions just don't work. They'll crash out after 2-3 mins. Older versions (3.0.0.12) are OK though.
What Samsung should really do is to roll out periodic firmware upgrades in other countries like they currently do here in Italy. The vast majority of i8910 owners (or, at least, those who post in forums) are flashing firmware designed for other countries, sometimes even cooked fw, screwing up their phones in the process. I've seen reported the craziest bugs by people who regularly flash their fw, none of which is present on my phone.
For the record, my i8910:
- doesn't lose photos (j.bruha)
- runs the Connected Home app fine (rleader)
- is capable of running Google Maps 3.2.1 for hours without crash (UKJeeper)
I believe the firmware flashing process is not as harmless as a lot of people seem to think. Even if your phone seems to start up OK after flashing some leaked fw you found, it may develop a lot of subtle issues that we Italian owners don't have.
Samsung is responsible for creating this situation. I don't think it would be much trouble to localize II1 for countries other than Italy, test it, and push it through the legal firmware update channel in those countries.

Last edited by rvirga; 21-09-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Old 21-09-2009, 05:38 PM

hargs48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejoma View Post
If you want to test out the gaming, the best I've found so far is Prince of Persia HD from Gameloft. I guess it's Java but I must confess I found it quite stunning.

Or am I just easy to please
Actually the "HD" in the title indicates its an S60 (sis) game.
Will work on all recent S60 phones. It may look relatively great but will not use the additional power of the high end GPU of the Omnia HD though...
Ads

Old 21-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Unregistered

Install Quake 3 Arena on your i8910 and you'll see just how powerful OMAP 3 and PowerVR SGX are.

Your puny N97 could only dream of running Quake 3.

Old 21-09-2009, 06:07 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Install Quake 3 Arena on your i8910 and you'll see just how powerful OMAP 3 and PowerVR SGX are.

How do you play it on Omnia?

Old 21-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

LOL! Hope you enjoy playing your kids games.

Old 21-09-2009, 10:35 PM

capitaine is on a distinguished road
it does NOT support FLV files!! where u get that from..!?

i've loaded a couple of .flv's (albeit off YouTube) and none have played on the phone!

Old 21-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Srebbul

Question small QWERTY keyboard

Just a quick comment: the small QWERTY keyboard is not available on my phone. I flashed it to the latest Italian II1 firmware, and there are three options for input: full screen querty, alphanumeric and handwriting.

Is there any way to enable the portrait querty keyboard? I would like to give it a try (like in Opera 5 beta), but it does appear that it is not available (which is also what I have been reading elsewhere). Did you actually have the small querty keyboard available for your testing?

Old 22-09-2009, 03:02 AM
Corpsed

@ capitaine

@ capitaine: My i8910 plays .flv files just fine that I've loaded onto the device. I wonder if it not working has to do with how YouTube converts its videos? Whatever the reason, they should work for you.

Old 22-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Corpsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srebbul View Post
Just a quick comment: the small QWERTY keyboard is not available on my phone. I flashed it to the latest Italian II1 firmware, and there are three options for input: full screen querty, alphanumeric and handwriting.

Is there any way to enable the portrait querty keyboard? I would like to give it a try (like in Opera 5 beta), but it does appear that it is not available (which is also what I have been reading elsewhere). Did you actually have the small querty keyboard available for your testing?
No, there is no portrait QWERTY, except for some shoddy third party app that attempts to emulate its own portrait qwerty. I forget the name and judging from the screenshots of it i saw, it's nothing to be jealous about, unfortunately. I, too, wish there was a good portrait qwerty option available. The phone is certainly wide enough for it to be comfortable to type on. I hate landscape qwerty on touch phones.

Old 22-09-2009, 04:58 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
IMO the screen / sunshine issue could be solved by a clamshell like the E90 . Outer screen Transflective . Inner screen AMOLED .

Regards jApi NL
What if you open up the screen in sunshine to work on something?