All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-09-2009, 08:15 PM

boothy is on a distinguished road
Keymapper - making Mobipocket reader more usable on N97

Hi

I am an avid ebook reader and equally dissapointed as everyone else that there does not seem to be any further development of mobipocket for 5th edition phones.But after reading a post on mobipocket forum I have downloaded the following brilliant bit of freeware :http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/symbian...rtual-key.html

Basically its a simple key mapper - I have mapped both my end and start call keys (green and red) to move pages up and down and mapped camera key (shutter key) to map left soft key to bring back up menu to close from full screen mode.You can include or exclude set apps so mapping does not muck up anything else - works a treat on N97 - makes reading in portrait mode much easier and more confortable.The software is unsigned but there is a link for symbian signing website on post below on link page.I had no problems signing or installing - will run in background. I am sure the keymapper has been around for a while but its a smashing little app it was built for 3rd edition but so far I had no problems.Making using mobipocket reader as good as it was on the N95.

Boothy

Last edited by boothy; 21-09-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Ads

Old 21-09-2009, 03:27 PM

John Harrop is on a distinguished road
Have successfuly got program signed and was wondering if you could explain how to configure the program for use on N97 (Mobipocket)

Old 21-09-2009, 05:43 PM

Hi John

You need to do 2 operations:
a.Map the keys
b.Include\exclude relevant programs for mapping.

a.Map keys

1.First open device so qwerty keyboard is available in landscape mode - start program and select `add`in`options menu.
On screen you should have original key, mapped key - press `options` again > `special key` and press `no`(this is the end call key).The mapped key should now be highlighted press the down button (or return button if prefer - they both move page down in mobi reader)on joystick.
Press `done` on side menu(right soft menu button)and go to options > add to repeat process - rather than select special keys press green call button and and this time press up on joystick for mapped key.
Press add again - this time pressing camera (shutter)key on side of device - in mapped section go to `special keys` and select `left soft key` and press done.

You should now have the following on the main page.

1.{camera}=>{LSK}
2.{no}=>{down}
3.{yes}=>{up}

2.Save mapped keys

Press options again - select `save as` and select 1 of custom profiles.

B.Include program

1.At the top of the screen to the right of settings title is an arrow - press this and it will take you to the include\exclude screen - by default it is on exclude - therefore go to `options` and `change mode` to include (the title will change at top of page) - go back to `options` and press `add from installed` and select mobipocket reader from list.It should now appear on page.

C.Run program in background

1.Press arrow at top of page to get back to settings page - press `options` and press `run in background` or alternatively just press `back` on settings page - if you press `exit` the program will close and not run in background.The program is only 40 k and therefore should not effect running of device unless you have very little memory left.

D.Run Mobipocket reader

If you now run mobi reader the end call key (red) should move page down and call key (green) should move page up.I now read permeantly in portrait mode (I find it easier on the move)and press shutter key (you have to press quite hard similar to camera activation)to bring up option menu and exit program\go to library etc.

Hope this helps - how is sunny Congleton?- its about to rain here in Stockton Heath !

Cheers

Boothy

Last edited by boothy; 21-09-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Old 22-09-2009, 09:26 AM

John Harrop is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your help and its raining in Congleton
Cheers

Old 22-09-2009, 08:04 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Struggling to get this program signed....

Downloaded FreeSigner (check).
Applied for Cert & Key (check).
Got Cert & Key and put on N97 (check).
Run FreeSigner -> settings and point Cert & Key to personal cert & key (check).
Download Virtual Key (rar) - (check)
Unrar Virtual Key (check)
RUn Freesigner -> Add -> (virtualkey) -> Go!

and I get an error--Freesigner.log file says

"E:\download\VirtualKey.sis
Unknown key type"

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Old 22-09-2009, 11:26 PM

Hi rdcinhou

Go to link above - Half way down posts on download link page there is a link to symbian signed website - I used that and had a signed copy returned - it worked ok this way.

Boothy