All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-08-2009, 10:13 PM

princemarvin is on a distinguished road
Question Using NSS to flash N97 RM-505 firmware, which files to use?

Hi all,
I would appreciate your help with my case:
I have N97 RM-505 (Code: 0576410) running firmware v11.0.021 & I am willing to change its code to (0575743) with the objectives of changing the language pack to include Arabic.
I've read many of the useful posts on this forum, & most of the time I got to do the following:
1. Use NSS, JAF, or Phoenix to change product code
2. Then, use NSU to install/reinstall the firmware

Well, although many have advised me that this is a very simple procedure & risk free, I am thinking of using NSS not only to change product code but also to flash the specific firmware of the new product code to my phone. This can be done using the flash button on NSS. For me, this method will reduce time of using NSU & downloading the firmware knowing that NSU sometimes hangs.

I've downloaded the firmware of the specific product code using Navifirm easily. However, my question is which files to use under the flash menu on NSS: MCU, PPM, CP, ADSP, APE V, & APE U?

I've attached here the screen shots on both NSS & the files I downloaded from Navifirm.

I've also read many posts of using JAF v1.98.64 to flash the firmware, but unfortunately, JAF is not working on my PC & not discovering my N97. I tried many ways, but I came up with the conclusion to use NSS v1.0.38.15, since is working perfectly with my PC & N97. So my only chance is to use NSS to flash the firmware or use, as directed before, NSU to reinstall the firmware...

Any help regarding the files to be used on NSS to flash the firmware on my N97?

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp NSS - Flash.bmp (327.1 KB, 5357 views)
File Type: bmp Navifirm RM-505 0575743 Files.bmp (288.0 KB, 3685 views)

Old 14-08-2009, 01:00 PM

theblob is on a distinguished road
Just in case you have ovi suite or nokia pc suite installed i found that when trying to use jaf i first had to right click ovi icon or nokia pc suite icon thats near the clock bottom right of the screen and exit it.
Only after making sure that none of those were running would jaf find and connect to my phone.

Old 16-08-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblob View Post
Just in case you have ovi suite or nokia pc suite installed i found that when trying to use jaf i first had to right click ovi icon or nokia pc suite icon thats near the clock bottom right of the screen and exit it.
Only after making sure that none of those were running would jaf find and connect to my phone.
I agree with you, I have to close Ovi suite or PC suite for JAF to work & access my phone.. But I found NSS easier to use & more stable using Vista & N97...

Therefore, I still expect more replies from this forum..
I'd really love to know which files to use on NSS to flash the firmware..

Old 18-08-2009, 11:41 AM

To update you with what happened with me, I changed the product code using NSS & updated the firmware to v12 using NSU.. Everything went fine & the firmware is more stable & faster...
But PLEASE can anyone still help me with NSS, which files to use???
Come on, I believe there are so many smart people in this forum who can really help me...
Thanks for everything you may help me with...
Waiting your replies...
Ads

Old 06-02-2010, 05:55 PM

Hal-IBM is on a distinguished road
For those of you who want to change the firmware language, or debrand/unbrand your Nokia device, I know a pretty great guide for that. I have followed the steps on my N97 and it worked like a charm:

How to Change the Product Code on a Nokia N97

The procedure should work on other devices as well.

Cheers