All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-03-2003, 10:08 AM

P800 UK Orange questions

Hi there,

Just read thru last few pages and i still have a few questions !

Im going to get a P800 on Orange (UK) Does any1 have any comments on phone4u (not high street phones 4 u ) They have p800 for 135 on 30 pm tarrif - is this a good deal ?

Also im on NTL and would like to surf the net in my house on the p800, i have read a few posts using adsl but would this work over ntl if i get a usb BT dongle ? would i have to install any software on pc or p800 ?

Finally what is the diff between orange talk plan and your plan ?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-03-2003, 10:39 AM

ephebe is on a distinguished road
It's a good deal if you are happy to pay it. There are other places that may be cheeper, and other places that are more expensive. You have to balance the amount you want to pay upfront for the handset against the amount you are happy to pay on a monthly basis.

ADSL/Cable/Dial-up doesn't make a difference. If you get a bluetooth dongle, you'll have to install software drivers on your PC. Have a read through this forum (and the 7650 forum) for the problems that people have had with dongles, and the software that comes with them. Its worth the hassle in the end.

You dont need to install anything on your P800 to get bluetooth working. You might want to install the Opera browser, since that works through bluetooth (or the sync stations USB connection) without any fiddling.

Orange recently re-branded all of their talk plans to "Your Plan", so an orange talk plan is now "Your Plan".

Hope this helps

Andy.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:51 AM

Shimmyhill is on a distinguished road
Hi there, i was poster (just registered)

As i can get one third of line rental it makes sense to goto the 200 contract as phone is not a bad price then !

Is there a list of BT dongles that are known to work as i need to buy one, i may as well get one that works !!

Thanks for your help,

Andy

Old 07-03-2003, 11:41 AM

ephebe is on a distinguished road
BT Dongles: I don't know if there's a list anywhere. A good rule of thumb though, is to buy the cheapest one you can get. Most of the cheap USB BT dongles use the CSR (Cambrige Silicon Radio) chipset, so if you find that you don't get on with the drivers that are supplied with the thing, you can download a different set from another manufacturer and use those.

I have a Wavelinker USB dongle from www.dabs.com Dabs quick link code 24ZVWS 26 inc vat
It comes with the XTND Connect Blue Manager software, which I didn't like, and didnt work with my 7650. I downloaded the Tecom (Widcomm) drivers (there are links for them, if you search) and everything works very well with my P800.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Andy

Old 07-03-2003, 09:09 PM

Shimmyhill is on a distinguished road
Thanks,

Im getting my p800 on Monday

Ill also get that BT dongle from dabs.

Thanks for the help.
Ads