All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 30-07-2009, 04:37 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
I did have 22MB's before the upgrade so I'm thinking the original version is lurking on the C: drive somewhere. Anyone know where I can locate it, had a good look through using Y-Browser, nothing stands out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
Yes I install everything I can on Mass Memory, only a few Java apps I have automatically go to C: I deleted the N-Gage app as it's rubbish, and have 3.1 maps on there. Not sure what else is cluttering things up.
I have all apps installed to mass memory, and haven't bothered with ngage or maps 3, I have 53mb free on c at the mo. Gonna wait and see if they add maps 3 to firmware update.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 30-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post
This makes me very sad. Why is everyone in the Symbian world wanting to use phone memory only all of a sudden? What is the point of 32Gb of flash drive if you can only install half the apps to the phone's (extremely) precious memory.
The necessity to install to the C: drive is a technical limitation when upgrading ROM applications (you'll note the same behaviour on some Nokia applications too - e.g. Nokia Maps). So this isn't Quickoffice's (or any other developer's) desire to fill up your C: drive.

Incidentally there wont be two copies on C:, so you wont be able to find anything to delete. As I allude to above the original copy is on the ROM drive (Z. The Quickoffice install is quite big (not surprising when you think about what it is doing).. I think the sis file is 4 MB ish - the install size is generally around 50% again (varies a lot though from app to app).

Unfortunate, but hopefully this is something that Nokia / Symbian Foundation can fix for future platform releases. Also, hopefully, a firmware update will help as the most recent versions of the C: hungry applications (N-Gage, Maps, Quickoffice etc.) should end up on the ROM drive.

Rafe

Old 30-07-2009, 04:38 PM

dougalzene is on a distinguished road
warning cannot directly open google docs exported xls

I bought QO Premier 6 (latest 6.195) for the discounted price* and am generally happy with the product but for this one reason:
Any spreadsheet exported from google docs as XLS will not open in QO Premier. The same file opened and resaved in either MS Office or OpenOffice will be fine however not directly. To be fair it's Google's export however I thought I was buying a package that could open any XLS, DOC or PPT MS could. I have raised a support request.

*note: the "1-day" half price promo seems to have been active for ages - its countdown timer makes out it's like ooh wow must act quickly but in truth you can visit 2 weeks later and it's countdown time again! might need to clear cookies or ip.

Old 30-07-2009, 04:43 PM
yitwave

Thanks.. but no thanks

After installing this, my C:\ fell from 30 mb (w/ ngage, ovi maps3, messaging) to 18mb.

I uninstall it, but i can't access quick office, it doesn't leave me with my previous version.. what should i do?

Can i just downgrade back and will it delete the downloaded file?

Old 30-07-2009, 04:53 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
The necessity to install to the C: drive is a technical limitation when upgrading ROM applications (you'll note the same behaviour on some Nokia applications too - e.g. Nokia Maps). So this isn't Quickoffice's (or any other developer's) desire to fill up your C: drive.

Incidentally there wont be two copies on C:, so you wont be able to find anything to delete. As I allude to above the original copy is on the ROM drive (Z. The Quickoffice install is quite big (not surprising when you think about what it is doing).. I think the sis file is 4 MB ish - the install size is generally around 50% again (varies a lot though from app to app).

Unfortunate, but hopefully this is something that Nokia / Symbian Foundation can fix for future platform releases. Also, hopefully, a firmware update will help as the most recent versions of the C: hungry applications (N-Gage, Maps, Quickoffice etc.) should end up on the ROM drive.

Rafe
Thanks for the explanation. That makes some sense (the face the original pre-installed version is in ROM). I was wondering about C: as the SEVEN email app also refuses to allow you to store messages anywhere other than C: - this may
be a result of problems with apps where data was stored on a removable memory card, which was subsequently removed and they have not updated their thinking (or their code) for the devices with built in solid state drives.

I got good support from Quickoffice and now have it installed. My free RAM (not C: space) is around 44Mb with SEVEN running and Quickoffice installed so I am fairly happy. Will give it a try over the next week.

Old 30-07-2009, 04:59 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yitwave View Post
After installing this, my C:\ fell from 30 mb (w/ ngage, ovi maps3, messaging) to 18mb.

I uninstall it, but i can't access quick office, it doesn't leave me with my previous version.. what should i do?

Can i just downgrade back and will it delete the downloaded file?
The only way you can go back to the old version is to format you phone using *#7370# and not restoring a backup, you will lose all your data so sync first.

Although as Rafe says the original version is on rom z drive, there are a number of files that are written in the private and sys drives on c, deleting them gains about 1 mb back, but you need to hack your phone and it is not something I would recommend.

It you have previously upgraded from version 4 to version 5 and then 6, you will actually have two copies on c, as well as the one on z, as version 6 doesn't overwrite 5 even if you installed it as an upgrade.
In this case hacking and deleting files will give you back about 5mb, but it is much safer in this case to format and upgrade direct from 4 to 6

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 30-07-2009, 05:15 PM

JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
I started with 51mb on my N86, and now have 32 after this and ovi 1.1. I think I'll stick to firmware updates from now on, other wise i'm going to run out of space

Old 30-07-2009, 05:29 PM

dougalzene is on a distinguished road
Clean is good

I have 74mb free after installing QO 6 on my recently hard reset N82. Also on C I have most of my apps installed including Ovi maps. In fact everything but my dictionaries which are on a 8gb card along with country maps, music etc.

About a month ago I did a hard reset along with latest firmware reinstall. Everything is running very smoothly and much better than the accumulation over several firmware and app upgrades.

Old 30-07-2009, 06:20 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Free upgrade for Samsung i8910 HD users as well (read-only version).
It's probably free for all those Symbian handsets that came with the previous version preinstalled by the manufacturer.

Last edited by rvirga; 30-07-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Ads

Old 30-07-2009, 07:21 PM

mcpezza is on a distinguished road
Just purchased the upgrade for 9.00 something!! Now have 8.69Mb left on my C drive!

Old 30-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Phil Spencer

Thanks for the interest and questions

All,

Great to see the enthusiasm around these updates, thanks for the interest. Just a few quick points:

1) Rafe already replied about the ‘install to C’ issue. Unfortunately there’s not a great deal we can do about this due to system installer complexities and limitations, sorry.

2) I see some people are reporting issues with Quickmanager catalog updates. We have seen some regional issues we hope are now fixed with some connections but in the main we think a lot of these are just down to understandably high demand. Our apologies if anyone experiences this, but please try again later or tomorrow and hopefully it will work. If you’re using WiFi then as some posters note please do ensure there’s a SIM in your phone and that your phone is on too, even if you’re not using its data connection.

3) A very important point, but PLEASE can I urge you all to use our official http://support.quickoffice.com/ site if you have problems with downloads or purchases? I see someone has posted a link to a SIS file for direct download. We’re happy for people to get direct download links via our support service but it’s CRUCIAL people get the right SIS file. As a little background for you, we now unfortunately have to maintain over 20 SIS files for this release due to different S60 versions, different license offers and different ‘types’ of SIS for different devices due to the way the Symbian Installer works. It is very important for your own sake and proper usage on your phone that we can direct you to the right one.

(An example: the SIS linked to earlier is for S60 5.0 devices which have Quickoffice in ROM only. If you try to install it on other devices/setups it will cause problems – if not immediately, when you come to try and get future updates installed. So it’s imperative we try to help you with the right link for your specific phone).

We’re very willing to support customers with questions or problems directly and if you file a request on our site we’ll be able to do so most effectively.

Thanks,

Phil

Old 31-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Yitwave

c: issue continued

please allow for this upgrade to be downgraded for the time being as a catalogue item in quickoffice update utility, this will greatly assist with the adoption and ease of use for memory strapped devices like the N97 and allows for greater user flexibility, we certainly will appreciate nd come back when our memory issues are resolved

Old 31-07-2009, 07:22 AM

max4974 is on a distinguished road
Talking download worked like a charm

guess i was lucky...i had no problems with the download to my E63 which I did yesterday evening. i downloaded over the slower EDGE network. Hung up once. Tried again, downloaded and installed successfully.
post that i got 69MB free on the C Drive.
yeah...it replaces the older version, so there is nothing to delete.

Old 31-07-2009, 08:44 AM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
re: upgrading firmware versions

I find it difficult to believe it's not possible to install a basic launcher app on C: that launches the real app on E:, thereby minimizing disk usage on C:.

Rafe?

Old 31-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I think you can probably get round in once (using your suggestion or a couple of other tricks), but then you get a similar problem the next time you update - each time you could be adding a potential branch to ways it may have to update (in otherwords multiple secnarios)... such that it would become unmanageable... (and, in some cases, there would be no easy way to check what installation / upgrade path the user had followed).