All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 25-07-2009, 12:13 AM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcypher View Post
My friend, the global trend for widescreen has been underway for many, many years now. Movies have ALWAYS been widescreen, DVDs advanced the widescreen format and HD (broadcast, Blu-Ray, etc) is the icing in the cake. Cell phones are just starting to catch up within the last few years.

Widescreen is and has always has been the screen ratio of choice, if you were up on your latest phone specs, the majority of mid to high-end phones released in the past few years have widescreen displays.

Just a little fyi my friend.

Madcypher
It's really only on recent windows mobile and s60 5th edition we're seeing widescreens really, perhaps some feature phones and I'm not sure about the blackberry Storm. The majority of WinMo devices, Iphone, android, Palm Pre(webOS) are all 4:3. So really, the percentage of smart phones with widescreen is still very low.
But don't get me wrong, I'm all for widescreen. My tv and both my laptops are widescreen. And movies should always be widescreen.
But on the phones show? I'd wager alot of people watch in on their phones, and steve doesn't seem to have problems fitting both himself and the phones he's holding on a 4:3 video.
I won't complain or mind it if he goes widescreen. I just don't see it being worth the hassle.

Old 25-07-2009, 12:15 AM

capitaine is on a distinguished road
for the most part, you've listed annoyances and irritations, with a few bugs. This does not add up to stability issues, so don't write such crass overblown statements. If you loathe the browser to this extent, then move on and get your iPhone. I'm sick of your continuous whining and moaning.

Old 25-07-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitaine View Post
for the most part, you've listed annoyances and irritations, with a few bugs. This does not add up to stability issues, so don't write such crass overblown statements. If you loathe the browser to this extent, then move on and get your iPhone. I'm sick of your continuous whining and moaning.
If you don't want to hear other people opinions and experiences then you are the one who should move on.

I've owned the phone for a month now more or less and while I don't have the exact number of times I've had to remove the battery I can tell it's more than it should be.

And yes, I do focus alot on the browser. Because it is very important to me.

If you want other more "serious" problems there is the Java implementation. It's very slow and for some reason java apps doesn't get enough memory. So Opera mini for example functions very poorly after a short while and also crashes alot.
Sometimes it will just start getting smoking hot in my pocket and drain the battery in a matter of hours. It's litterally died on me before I got home from work(8 hours). And I can't seem to make sense of it either. My n95 will also die quickly under heavy usage. But at least it doesn't use alot of battery when not used.
DLNA is almost worthless. It can't seem to find videos I share on my home computer, there isn't enough bandwidth to play the "HD" videos I've recorded on my PS3 without have stuttering. When I use it to stream episodes of 24 for example from my phone to my ps3 it works fine for about half the episode, then it disconnects itself from the network and I have to start over.
The Asphalt game included clearly does not use the 3D accelerator.

On a brighter note it runs quake 2 and 3 like a champ. Clearly proving there really is power under it's beautifull hood. But again samsung manages to screw me over again by not providing a bluetooth keyboard driver. I managed to hack the phone and install nokias driver, which worked fine, but this is not good enough.

Samsungs phone suite completely crashed on my windows 7 machine. When I try to install a newer version it says that it can't because It's already installed. When I try to uninstall the old one it just tries to reinstall itself but failing because, again, It's already installed.

The ambient light sensor is placed so that when I use the phone in landscape my thumb will cover it and the screen constantly turns dark and bright.(Hmm. that was actually a hardware issue :P)

I actually have another hardware issue. They were as stupid as apple were with the first iphone. The 3,5mm jack is recessed into the phone. So the cable from my stereo wouldn't fit. Very bad.

There. Lots of serious, non browser related issues.

Old 25-07-2009, 02:02 AM

JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
Good response Tenkom, and you seem to be quite fair with your views. I'm considering an i8910 in the future as an optional upgrade to touchscreen from my N86, but I'm wondering if I should hold off for another future Samsung (they seem to be making some quality devices nowadays)

Old 25-07-2009, 02:19 AM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkom View Post
It's really only on recent windows mobile and s60 5th edition we're seeing widescreens really, perhaps some feature phones and I'm not sure about the blackberry Storm. The majority of WinMo devices, Iphone, android, Palm Pre(webOS) are all 4:3.
That's some major misinformation. The iPhone, Palm Pre, and Android are 3:2 (480x320, to be precise), which, while not 16:9, it's wider than 4:3 (1.50 vs. 1.33). Most LGs touchscreen (too many to mention) including the low-cost Cookie, and the Samsung i900 Omnia, are 400x280; again, while not 16:9, still wider than 4:3. The SE Xperia X1, HTC Touch HD, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Touch Diamond 2, Samsung Omnia II, Samsung Omnia Pro, are both WinMo and WVGA (hence 16:9). The Samsung Jet, Samsung Pixon12, and LG Arena are also WVGA, albeit not WinMo devices.

Last edited by rvirga; 25-07-2009 at 02:35 AM.

Old 25-07-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvirga View Post
That's some major misinformation. The iPhone, Palm Pre, and Android are 3:2 (480x320, to be precise), which, while not 16:9, it's wider than 4:3 (1.50 vs. 1.33). Most LGs touchscreen (too many to mention) including the low-cost Cookie, and the Samsung i900 Omnia, are 400x280; again, while not 16:9, still wider than 4:3. The SE Xperia X1, HTC Touch HD, HTC Touch Pro II, HTC Touch Diamond 2, Samsung Omnia II, Samsung Omnia Pro, are both WinMo and WVGA (hence 16:9). The Samsung Jet, Samsung Pixon12, and LG Arena are also WVGA, albeit not WinMo devices.
I stand corrected.
My ipod touch still had black bars on widescreen videos tho. But I guess it would have black bars at the sides(albeit smaller ones) at the sides if playing true 4:3 content.

I really didn't do my math on that one. :/
Many of the phones you mention aren't even out yet tho.

Old 25-07-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyN View Post
Good response Tenkom, and you seem to be quite fair with your views. I'm considering an i8910 in the future as an optional upgrade to touchscreen from my N86, but I'm wondering if I should hold off for another future Samsung (they seem to be making some quality devices nowadays)
Seeing as the only advantage is touch screen, bigger screen and 720p video recording I'd recommend you wait. If not you can always buy mine
It's an unlocked 16GB with italian firmware, looks almost new.

Maybe if you wait a few months samsung will have turned it into a really sweet device. The hardware is there. Just needs some software love.

Old 25-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Umm..... 'review'??? This was an unshamed set of very initial impressions. When we do a 'review', you'll know it because it'll be thousands of words long and (probably) in 3 or 4 parts. Give me a break, I'd only had the phone for a few HOURS!!!
Exactly my point. There's people you know who have had the phone for MONTHS, so why not check some of your negative "findings" with them first???

The N86 didn't get this treatment...

Old 25-07-2009, 07:45 PM

Jules_N93 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyN View Post
If you're waiting anyway, we'll have to see what's available by then. But for now, the I8910 is really unparalleled for media. The screen is just incredible. And it's such a difference that you can play random xvids out of the box. I'm amazed that Samsung doesn't choose to market it this way.

And the audio quality is fantastic - when you tweak the volume using the debug menu and you use some decent earphones. Btw I have no problems with the jack being recessed, it's only slightly so and the space around it is quite sufficient.

Old 25-07-2009, 07:58 PM

I've attached an image to show the problem. It will probably not be a problem with 90% of all headsets. But it's still silly. And it did cause a problem for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25072009016.jpg (361.2 KB, 15 views)

Old 25-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuclark View Post
Exactly my point. There's people you know who have had the phone for MONTHS, so why not check some of your negative "findings" with them first???
Would you like to come to my house and WATCH me demonstrate the repeatable bugs in IG2 firmware? I do think the i8910 HD could be a GREAT device - it's just not stable enough yet. Web browsers should not crash on a whim, for a start...

Old 25-07-2009, 09:50 PM

mCrem is on a distinguished road
Apart from the crappy java stack and the browser ( which I have spend hours on end surfing on without it crashing) You still haven't mentioned what other bugs there are, I personally haven't found any, and everything works as it should, most of it 10x better than a 5800 or an n97

Old 25-07-2009, 11:56 PM

v1rtu4l is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I've owned the phone for a month now more or less and while I don't have the exact number of times I've had to remove the battery I can tell it's more than it should be.
why do many other people state that they do not even get one crash since they updated to IG2 ? perhaps you just remember the crashes from the earlier firmware or do not even have the latest one (yes, i read you THOUGHT you had the latest one, but didn't seem to be sure)

Quote:
If you want other more "serious" problems there is the Java implementation.
that is actually funny. you do know that this phone runs symbian, don't you ?
then why the hell do you insist on using java applications ? it's like moaning about windows xp not running your dos applications properly.

java is only implemented as a plus, an addon not for the usual day to day use. yes, nokia does have a better implementation, but nontheless. if you buy a symbian phone use symbian applications. java-applications are slow and do need more ressources as necessary as trade-off for being multiplattform enabled.

blame opera for not updating their browser on symbian and not samsung for not running an application on their phone that was never thought to be running there. would opera have liked symbian users to use their java version, why did they even develop a symbian opera ? lets face it. opera just wants to earn money and since every symbian phone comes with a pre-installed browser no mobile phone manufacturer will give money to opera to develop one for their phones to have a good browser. in the end opera does not give a fuck about phones they do not earn a penny with and THAT is why you can not use opera on your i8910 hd and not because Samsung are the bad guys that like to make you mad.

the old symbian 8.65 opera does run pretty well on symbian and since i am not a spoilt iphone kid i do not see how the new opera is anything better. kinetic scrolling ? you got to be kiddin me... this is really just the result of marketing, i did not even notice opera mini on my pocketpc had it, before i read from it and honestly no it is not some magic that makes life so much easy. people did use browsers without kinetic scrolling for ages, i do not see the problem.

Quote:
Sometimes it will just start getting smoking hot in my pocket and drain the battery in a matter of hours. It's litterally died on me before I got home from work(8 hours). And I can't seem to make sense of it either. My n95 will also die quickly under heavy usage. But at least it doesn't use alot of battery when not used.
symbian phones do afford some time to get to know them. if you had just taken your time and just one day searching for solutions for your problem than you would not have to write such stuff. there are two probable reasons for that symptoms and both causes can be rectified pretty simple. i wont spoil you the joy of finding out by yourself via google or bing.

search engines are your friend.

Quote:
Samsungs phone suite completely crashed on my windows 7 machine. When I try to install a newer version it says that it can't because It's already installed. When I try to uninstall the old one it just tries to reinstall itself but failing because, again, It's already installed.
yeah, i totally agree that Samsung should have tested their software on an operating system that is not even STABLE/RELEASED and declared as "release candidate" for obvious reasons. you do not even want me to get started about people downloading illegal operating systems (in this case not even released ones) and then blame anybody but yourself for you using warez or unstable software that are not thought to be used in production enviroments.

the new samsung studio does work well on vista now (the older version did not) so it does support even the latest windows operating system that is used on workstation/enduser computers today.

Quote:
The ambient light sensor is placed so that when I use the phone in landscape my thumb will cover it and the screen constantly turns dark and bright.(Hmm. that was actually a hardware issue :P)
i do not want to insult you, man but there is a wise saying and it goes something like this:

"you can create an idiot safe device and the human race will bear an even greater idiot that will have problems with it"

again i am not trying to insult you, all i want to say is, that you can not create a device where everything is built so that you can not find something to moan about.

Quote:
I actually have another hardware issue. They were as stupid as apple were with the first iphone. The 3,5mm jack is recessed into the phone. So the cable from my stereo wouldn't fit. Very bad.
you not supposed to stick a transformers penis in there, but ear speakers

Old 26-07-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu4l View Post
why do many other people state that they do not even get one crash since they updated to IG2 ? perhaps you just remember the crashes from the earlier firmware or do not even have the latest one (yes, i read you THOUGHT you had the latest one, but didn't seem to be sure)

that is actually funny. you do know that this phone runs symbian, don't you ?
then why the hell do you insist on using java applications ? it's like moaning about windows xp not running your dos applications properly.

java is only implemented as a plus, an addon not for the usual day to day use. yes, nokia does have a better implementation, but nontheless. if you buy a symbian phone use symbian applications. java-applications are slow and do need more ressources as necessary as trade-off for being multiplattform enabled.

blame opera for not updating their browser on symbian and not samsung for not running an application on their phone that was never thought to be running there. would opera have liked symbian users to use their java version, why did they even develop a symbian opera ? lets face it. opera just wants to earn money and since every symbian phone comes with a pre-installed browser no mobile phone manufacturer will give money to opera to develop one for their phones to have a good browser. in the end opera does not give a fuck about phones they do not earn a penny with and THAT is why you can not use opera on your i8910 hd and not because Samsung are the bad guys that like to make you mad.

the old symbian 8.65 opera does run pretty well on symbian and since i am not a spoilt iphone kid i do not see how the new opera is anything better. kinetic scrolling ? you got to be kiddin me... this is really just the result of marketing, i did not even notice opera mini on my pocketpc had it, before i read from it and honestly no it is not some magic that makes life so much easy. people did use browsers without kinetic scrolling for ages, i do not see the problem.

symbian phones do afford some time to get to know them. if you had just taken your time and just one day searching for solutions for your problem than you would not have to write such stuff. there are two probable reasons for that symptoms and both causes can be rectified pretty simple. i wont spoil you the joy of finding out by yourself via google or bing.

search engines are your friend.

yeah, i totally agree that Samsung should have tested their software on an operating system that is not even STABLE/RELEASED and declared as "release candidate" for obvious reasons. you do not even want me to get started about people downloading illegal operating systems (in this case not even released ones) and then blame anybody but yourself for you using warez or unstable software that are not thought to be used in production enviroments.

the new samsung studio does work well on vista now (the older version did not) so it does support even the latest windows operating system that is used on workstation/enduser computers today.

i do not want to insult you, man but there is a wise saying and it goes something like this:

"you can create an idiot safe device and the human race will bear an even greater idiot that will have problems with it"

again i am not trying to insult you, all i want to say is, that you can not create a device where everything is built so that you can not find something to moan about.

you not supposed to stick a transformers penis in there, but ear speakers
Opera MINI is "thought" to be running on any phone with java support. It has worked fine on all my recent phones, nokia e65, SE P1i, Nokia n95 8GB, Touch diamond and touch hd. If it doesn't work properly on the samsung than that is samsungs fault. Go read on my-symbian.com forum. Alot of people are complaining about the Java issue. If you don't care about java then that's fine. But please get your head out of your ass and try to understand that some people do.

I like how you say you don't wanna insult me followed by calling me an idiot. When I hold the phone in landscape with both hands, which is the most comfortable way of holding it. Because the sensor is placed at the lower left corner of my phone my thumb will cover it. I could hold it with one hand. But that get's somewhat uncomfortable after a while. Plus I tend to use both thumbs when typing. If the sensor was placed at the the uper left corner it would be fine. This is a minor concern, and it's quite possible that they placed it there because it would have been difficult to do otherwise.
But your argument that it's impossible to make a perfect phone so we should quit moaning is RIDICULOUS. It's always possible to make things better. And people moaning about problems is a way for samsung to make it better next time.

Oh, and speaking of "The google". try googling windows 7. The release canditate is available for download from MICROSOFT. Completely legal. And don't make excuses for samsung. Nokia pc suite works fine on windows 7. As does most other software. Alot of people are downloading windows 7.

I've used symbian since the p800 and none of the other phones required me to use google to fix the battery so it lasts a full day.
And FYI, I did google it. And tried the things I found. E.G. turn off video sharing, set packet data to "when needed"(which seems to be the default setting on the firmware I have now). Perhaps you have found other methods that work better. But since me dissing your phone seems to have triggered some kind of nerd rage you'll probably keep it to yourself.

Why does people feel the need to get personal with me? I'm reporting what I have found with MY phone. If your phones are more stable than just say so. But it seems at least steve's phone shares my problems.

EDIT: Oh, and if had bothered to check my previous post than you would see that you don't need a transformer penis to run into trouble.

Old 26-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Heh, don't worry about v1rtu4l's ramblings - he can't even spell his own login name without resorting to silly numbers... And he keeps resorting to insults. And..... well, dismissing Java outright had me in stitches 8-)

Chill, everybody, Samsung will get there in the end. But they're not 'there' yet by some way.