All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 24-07-2009, 04:48 AM
Unregistered

Question

>The C disk (internal flash memory) is only 40MB total,

How well does the device get by with this? N97 is strongly criticized for having only 70 MB of internal flash memory (e.g. http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/...er-fiasco.html).
Ads

Old 24-07-2009, 04:52 AM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Steve, I have a question, which in its concise form can be formulated as:
0) Will there be now a QHD version (and maybe a HD one) of the Phones Show, alongside the traditional QVGA/VGA version?

The above question can be expanded into several subquestions:
1) Is this phone obtained through the 'Ambassador' program yours to keep, or do you have to return it to Samsung later on?
2) Are you satisfied enough with the quality of the i8910 to use it for the Phones Show?
3) Does your video editing software have an easy-to-use 'Pan & Scan' feature to allow you to shoot at 16:9 and then obtain a 4:3 cropped video?
4) Could a QHD RSS feed be added without incurring in additional web hosting fees?

As you probably have noticed, the number of phones with 16:9 screens in the market is increasing rapidly, creating a demand for widescreen video. As an example of this trend, the MSNBC podcasts that I watch have all transitioned this year from QVGA to QWVGA.

Old 24-07-2009, 07:50 AM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvirga View Post
As you probably have noticed, the number of phones with 16:9 screens in the market is increasing rapidly, creating a demand for widescreen video. As an example of this trend, the MSNBC podcasts that I watch have all transitioned this year from QVGA to QWVGA.
Oh yes . I would like to see The Phones Show in 16:9 too. Also, you should use XviD Simple Profile Level 3 instead of AVC for 640x480(or 360). That way it will be playable on almost all devices.

Old 24-07-2009, 08:01 AM
NZtechfreak

Comments from an i8910 owner, who also has a trial N97 at present...

First off, this is the most stable S60 phone I've ever owned at first release. I currently have a trial N97, and I've owned N95, N95 8GB, and an N82 previously and used an N81 a fair amount.

The latest firmware has AAC video encoding as others have mentioned, not AMR.

Samsung has delivered several firmware updates for this phone already, so I think they are proving they can deliver some follow-through (new firmware is on the way too, confirmed via the official Italy Facebook blog, who accurately gave information on the most recent firmwares release).

Sure it has two video players, but I like that, since the Samsung one actually supports subtitles. Incidentally there is no finer movie player in the mobile biz right now, because it (A) plays stuff perfectly without any need for down-sampling or transcoding. and (B) has the best screen available on any mobile (until Samsung release their WVGA AMOLED screens on other OS environs soon). It literally mocks every Nokia handset in this respect.

Regarding web site loading speeds, the fact that the N86 might load pages faster is negated by the fact that scrolling around a web page in QVGA more than negates a few seconds speed advantage in loading here and there.

...its all a little moot anyway, since the S60 browser is awful compared to whats on offer in most other OS environs (Opera Mobile 9.7 on a WVGA WinMo phone like the Xperia, my previous handset, is a simply joyous experience). Since there is no good 3rd party support for S60v5 at present you really have to accept that you are compromising on the browser front when you buy any S60 phone, and if you're going to compromise then you may as well get superior hardware - which the i8910 has in spades.

Old 24-07-2009, 08:05 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I am starting to respect this phone a lot... Must try to get my hands on one.

Old 24-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
>The C disk (internal flash memory) is only 40MB total, How well does the device get by with this?
Well, it's not ideal, obviously, although to a certain extent you get round it by just installing all apps to the 'Mass memory'. Wish there was another 128MB of flash here though, wouldn't have cost Samsung more than a few dollars per unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvirga View Post
1) Is this phone obtained through the 'Ambassador' program yours to keep, or do you have to return it to Samsung later on?
2) Are you satisfied enough with the quality of the i8910 to use it for the Phones Show?
3) Does your video editing software have an easy-to-use 'Pan & Scan' feature to allow you to shoot at 16:9 and then obtain a 4:3 cropped video?
I believe all Ambassador phones are to be retained after the 'programme' - it's part of the deal etc. 8-)
Yes, I was very impressed by video quality of the i8910 HD. It's certainly good enough for use in The Phones Show. There's no easy way to produce both QVGA and 16:9 HD renders though. Dare I risk leaving those out who want to watch on the phone itself? I guess I could produce a QVGA feed with black bars top and bottom? Comments welcome, I haven't decided what to do yet!

Old 24-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post
First off, this is the most stable S60 phone I've ever owned at first release. I currently have a trial N97, and I've owned N95, N95 8GB, and an N82 previously and used an N81 a fair amount.
So no Eseries in there then, which explains your statement 8-)

Quote:
supports subtitles. Incidentally there is no finer movie player in the mobile biz right now, because it (A) plays stuff perfectly without any need for down-sampling or transcoding. and (B) has the best screen available on any mobile
Fair enough, I'm not going to argue! 8-)

Quote:
Since there is no good 3rd party support for S60v5 at present you really have to accept that you are compromising on the browser front when you buy any S60 phone, and if you're going to compromise then you may as well get superior hardware - which the i8910 has in spades.
Fair point, though there are actually some very good 5th Edition-designed apps - thankfully most of them work fine on the i8910 HD. Biggest downside for me is to lose Internet Radio - anyone know of a slick alternative?

Old 24-07-2009, 08:16 AM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
I guess I could produce a QVGA feed with black bars top and bottom? Comments welcome, I haven't decided what to do yet!
You shouldn't add black bars because it's would still be 4:3 . I don't know which software are you using for editing but if you do 16:9 ratio, the program should put appropriate flag in the header when exporting to MP4. Real player, or any other player for that mattter, should add letterboxing on playback automatically if nesseccary. Just like it is on DVD. If not, you can always adjust size in the real player manually.
And think about switching to mpeg4 sp for vga version. It will be playable on almost all devices.

Last edited by krisq; 24-07-2009 at 08:22 AM.

Old 24-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
. Biggest downside for me is to lose Internet Radio - anyone know of a slick alternative?
...Not available on ANY S60 V5 handset at the moment. Not even Nokia's ones!

Old 24-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Gajas

Question 720p TV out?

Does the bundled TV out accessory support 720p TV display output? I've read elsewhere that it is not possible unless you are using the DLNA dongle.

Old 24-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Steve,

You need to re-write a lot of this article when using the IG2 firmware - as I posted in both the articles I wrote (one using IF4 and the second announcing IG2); Samsung have fixed a LOT, if not ALL, the bugs you mention.

I have been using this phone for over 2 months now and have it on the Italian IG2 firmware you've now got - and it's just as stable as my 5800 on V21 firmware and much, much better than a friend's N97!

The i8910 (actually STILL branded as the Omnia HD on Italian firmware) is the BEST S60 V5 phone currently available. Bar NONE!

(oh, and Steve - Download IS available in iPlayer, but the phone isn't capable of receiving the certificate from the Beeb yet - this is an iPlayer bug, not a lack of DRM on the phone)

Old 24-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Oh, and Samsung Italy have announced they're working on ANOTHER update... should be out in a couple of weeks.

This one "improves phone speed and multitasking"

Old 24-07-2009, 09:52 AM
NZtechfreak

M tides

Quote:
So no Eseries in there then, which explains your statement 8-)
You may be right, I've been tempted by the E-Series, but never quite got there yet...

Quote:
Fair point, though there are actually some very good 5th Edition-designed apps - thankfully most of them work fine on the i8910 HD. Biggest downside for me is to lose Internet Radio - anyone know of a slick alternative?
I quite agree, I was only making that comment in reference to the browser... I really hope the Opera Mobile dev blog was telling the truth in their recent hint that an updated S60 version of Opera Mobile is coming soon...

Software support is not too bad at all otherwise, if you hack your handset its even better. I'm currently enjoying Sportstracker and photobrowser on my handset, and others report that Nokia Messaging works fine, as do a few other Nokia apps. If you browse in Firefox its even possible to download the installation files from Ovi Store by using an extension that reports you are browsing from an N97, and then you can remove the .dm container from the file with a hexeditor and install them on your i8910...

Old 24-07-2009, 09:55 AM
NZtechfreak

I also miss internet radio - alternative anybody?

(and don't say you can listen to them in Real Player either, I know that but want something more user friendly!)

Old 24-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Unregistered

Steve, Can you say what the wifi encryption protcols are?
Thanks