All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 23-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
And so it begins... The SIM-free Samsung i8910 HD arrives in the UK

After months of delay, the 'Ambassador' programme for the Samsung i8910 HD (used to be called the Omnia HD) has kicked off, with the production devices now delivered to contacts across the world. This means that SIM-free, unlocked phones are now in English reviewer hands for the first time. See below for some first impressions and, most importantly, sample HD video footage from the i8910 HD's camera.

Read on in the full article.

Old 23-07-2009, 02:50 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
Steve, have they re-enabled the pre-focus in video mode?

Old 23-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Unregistered

That's an Italian one. People in the UK have been importing those for donkey's years!

Old 23-07-2009, 03:13 PM

junchao8 is on a distinguished road
That's a nice change.

It's so silly how a network are allowed to get exclusive on such handset, cos when they do, they charge extortionate prices.
I like the phone, but if Samsung really intended to actually sell them in mass, the price should be alot more affordable.

Orange currently offers this free, only to charge 40 per month on 24 month contract, making the cost of ownership rocket towards a thousand quid; by contrast an iPhone 3Gs on contract looks like a bargain. I was told by Orange stuff today that the handset itself costs over 700, seriously?!? this is a good phone with exceptional hardware, but the software and prices are far from reasonable.

Last edited by junchao8; 23-07-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Old 23-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Daugbjerg

FM Trasmitter

Is the FM Transmitter enabled?

Old 23-07-2009, 03:37 PM

rleader is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 12 month contract option, only online at Orange UK

as I write (to counter previous post):
at Orange UK, choose the i8910, new customer, as pay monthly, then ask to 'Find a Plan' and you will see that there is a show 12 month contracts option in brackets after the 18/24 default options. Then, scroll down, and the handset is FREE with Dolphin 45 or Racoon 45 options. Online, the Total Cost of Ownership is thus 12x 42.09 = 505.08 gbp (3.99 delivery)
These tariffs may not suit your usage, E&OE. There are probably better deals somewhere... I don't work for Orange, but no-one seems to be picking up that Orange, online only, still seem to offer these 12 month contracts!!! Perhaps this is of interest to UK consumers...
NB Orange also do free 8mbps/10Gb capped for new customers, so if you are on another ISP, you might consider jumping and saving more (I did 2 months ago and have had no problems at all, so far so good).
Cheers!
of course, I am not endorsing the AWFUL firmware shipped with the Orange handsets to date... I debranded 2 weeks ago (again, warranty implication BEWARE) and have had no problems and also IG2 updated from Italy (Samsung official) - see the vibrant AAS i8910 forum for more details...

Old 23-07-2009, 03:38 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
I think Unregistered is right. That power adapter doesn't look British to me...
Well, if it's the Italian one, you got lucky. Currently the Italian i8910 has the best firmware support. As you have seen, there's already an update available, and another is coming sometime in the next few weeks.
Quote:
I was told by Orange stuff today that the handset itself costs over 700, seriously?!?
Here in Italy, it sells for around 475 (incl. 20% VAT). For comparison, the unbranded N97 is 600, and the 16GB iPhone 3gs is 630. My advice to you would be to find an Italian online store which delivers to the UK. I believe there are several.

Old 23-07-2009, 03:42 PM

mCrem is on a distinguished road
does anyone know where I can find a tv out cable for my hd? my italian unit came without it..
Ads

Old 23-07-2009, 03:47 PM
nonyhaha

audio quality

too bad the audio quality is still very poor. the same 8kbzp amr. in this case, the n86 still is a better choice. a very very bad thing to do to a phone that can record video in hd format.

Old 23-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Unregistered

Use a Nokia one - the one from my N95 works with my i8910.

When's Steve going to edit this article? It's clear that this isn't the first time an IMPORTED i8910 has landed in the hands of an English reviewer in the UK.

Old 23-07-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Use a Nokia one - the one from my N95 works with my i8910.
the last nokia I had was a 6630 xD

Quote:
too bad the audio quality is still very poor. the same 8kbzp amr. in this case, the n86 still is a better choice. a very very bad thing to do to a phone that can record video in hd format.
are you serious? with the update it's 96kbps AAC which sounds very good!

Old 23-07-2009, 03:49 PM

rleader is on a distinguished road
Cool comment on Steve's .mp4 file above

Hi - just thought I'd mention for anyone downloading the above .mp4 - Steve has, as he mentions, encoded with the xxIF7 firmware, which uses a low quality AMR audio codec. The xxIG2 update (if you debrand, or Orange UK provide for this now (I don't know)) encodes using an AAC audio codec at 720p, which makes life a little bit easier. I found to quickly play the above file with Video & Audio, use Quicktime!

Old 23-07-2009, 03:50 PM
nonyhaha

audio codec

on my ccomputer,windows seven, windows media player withk-lite codec pack and also on vlc, there is no audio output =))
samsung is really throwing their phone to the garbage. ) very very stupid thing to do. use a non-standard audio codec. a really non-standard.

Old 23-07-2009, 03:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4j4FgGXLLo

here's a video I took on the new ig2 firmware at 5 am

and some more:
http://samsungi8910omnia.com/hd-720p...d-ig2-daytime/

edit, again the audio works fine on any program with the new firmware!!!

Last edited by mCrem; 23-07-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Old 23-07-2009, 03:58 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
mCrem, mine also came w/o the video cable. However, the Nokia video cable (I had a couple of them, from previous phones) works fine.