All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-07-2009, 02:48 PM

Biggzy is on a distinguished road
Format/hard reset now includes n97 *Fixed Images*

Its always a good idea to do a format once every few month or even when you first get your new s60 device.

theres 2 ways to do a hard format to the device memory:

1). once the device is powered on and at the home screen type *#7370# and then enter your security code (default is 12345) and then your device will restart and reset.

2-a). to hard reset when the device is off hold down the green call key, the number 3 key and the *+ key then continue to hold the keys and now hold the power key, hold all 4 keys untill the devicce boots upp and asks for the country etc.
Diagram

*NOTE if you own a nokia 5800 XM then the second option is:

2-b). hold the green and red call keys, the camera capture key and then the power key, hold them untill the device boots up and asks for country etc.
5800XM Diagram

*NOTE if you own a nokia n97 then the second option is:

2-c). Hold the left shift key, the spacebar and the back key then the power key, *hold them until the device asks for the country etc.
N97 Diagram

If your device fails to boot up or gives a contact the retailer message then a hard format on boot will usualy sort the problem.

WARNING doing a hard reset will DELETE all user data on the device memory, including contacs, calendar entries and any apps etc you have installed to C: drive, your mass memory/memory card will remain unafected so any data will still be there, however you may have to reinstall some apps even if they are installed to mass mem/mem card.

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

Last edited by Biggzy; 05-10-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Old 22-07-2009, 11:07 AM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
I assume that you've tried this "three-fingered-salute" on your N97 already to ensure that it works?

Old 22-07-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
I assume that you've tried this "three-fingered-salute" on your N97 already to ensure that it works?
yes mate tried and tested.

Old 22-07-2009, 07:37 PM

theblob is on a distinguished road
I want a way to completely wipe the phone ie including the mass memory etc so it is totally clean in my mind that is what a hard reset should do so why not with the n97?

Old 22-07-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblob View Post
I want a way to completely wipe the phone ie including the mass memory etc so it is totally clean in my mind that is what a hard reset should do so why not with the n97?
a hard reset on nokia s60 devices donly resets the device memory c:/ drive, you have to format mass mem/mem card from file manager

Old 23-07-2009, 07:23 PM

theblob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
a hard reset on nokia s60 devices donly resets the device memory c:/ drive, you have to format mass mem/mem card from file manager
Ok thanks for that tip i knew you could format it there but i personally would rather have a hard reset that formats everything, but thats just me i can live with it how it is.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:50 PM

thor2001 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

I think, it would be better if the *#7370# or Shift+Space+Backspace formats the whole mobile device.

So I just did a S+S+BS,*#7370# and had to manually format the internal mass memory through the filemanager on my N97 to completely wipe it...thats really lame.

Regards

Quote:

Old 06-08-2009, 12:43 AM

Sam_man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor2001 View Post
I think, it would be better if the *#7370# or Shift+Space+Backspace formats the whole mobile device.

So I just did a S+S+BS,*#7370# and had to manually format the internal mass memory through the filemanager on my N97 to completely wipe it...thats really lame.

Regards
not really, what if your phone fails to boot and you got to hard reset, would it be ideal to lose all your photos, music, videos etc?

maybe they should provide another hard reset type to wipe everything, but thats up to nokia/symbian.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:48 AM

thor2001 is on a distinguished road
Hardreset should do it, or why do you think it's called reset?
With the HR, all Symbian devices delete the whole memory, but not the N97.

It's like windows, if you store your photos, music, video on C:\ you won't get very far.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_man View Post
not really, what if your phone fails to boot and you got to hard reset, would it be ideal to lose all your photos, music, videos etc?

maybe they should provide another hard reset type to wipe everything, but thats up to nokia/symbian.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor2001 View Post
Hardreset should do it, or why do you think it's called reset?
With the HR, all Symbian devices delete the whole memory, but not the N97.

It's like windows, if you store your photos, music, video on C:\ you won't get very far.

Regards
I store everything on C: in Windows and don't have a problem

Since 1989, I have never needed to reformat a PC within days of buying it and rather embarrassingly, I need to reboot my N97 more often than my main work PC running Vista!

Old 18-09-2009, 11:56 AM

martindokki is on a distinguished road
My E drive claims the memory is in use, but is undetectable through pc suite. So I called Nokia care which advised a hard reset.

Still my 30 GB mass memory is undetectable and "in use". I cannot even open it through filemanager to reformat.

Anyone else an idea for reformatting ?

Solutions? before i chuck this phone and get meself an HTC or Iphone...

Ads

Old 05-10-2009, 01:08 PM

Fixed the n97 image thad suddenly just went invisible lol, thanx to angiepea for pointing it out to me

Old 05-10-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martindokki View Post
My E drive claims the memory is in use, but is undetectable through pc suite. So I called Nokia care which advised a hard reset.

Still my 30 GB mass memory is undetectable and "in use". I cannot even open it through filemanager to reformat.

Anyone else an idea for reformatting ?

Solutions? before i chuck this phone and get meself an HTC or Iphone...

not sure what you have installed on your device but goto app manager in settings and remove all apps, reboot the device and try again.

Old 25-12-2009, 02:10 AM

chotzeny is on a distinguished road
N85 ChkDsk

Hi
friend of mine has N85 and it had similer issue,
we connected it to a winXP pc as external storage (USB)
and run CHKDSK from the command prompt
it fixed the space issue and allowed to delete log files that got to big

Old 27-12-2009, 06:14 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Its always a good idea to do a format once every few month or even when you first get your new s60 device.
Thanks for the exellent information and pics for hard reset on various models

HOWEVER, I have to dispute your first sentence. There is NO NEED to hard reset or format an N-Series device UNLESS you are already experiencing problems.