All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-07-2009, 02:43 AM

londoner888 is on a distinguished road
Who keeps their N97 online for live widgets?

Just wondering how long you guys leave the phone online (for live widgets) for.

I tend not to leave it on, and only go online to get an instant update when I need it (kind of defeats the point of live widget) but I like to conserve the already poor battery life of the phone.

This brings me to my next question, is the depletion noticeable if you leave the phone online say for 8-9 hours? ie. work hours lol

Old 15-07-2009, 05:30 AM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
Hi, i never switch my phone off and have facebook/accuweather and newsbuzz running. It also gets "normal usage" i would say (as opposed to business usage) all day long with calls and texts and me checkiing e mails etc.

my battery lasts all day, and at bedtime i have 3 pips of battery energy left, so i charge it up every night

angie

Last edited by angiepea; 15-07-2009 at 05:32 AM.

Old 15-07-2009, 06:58 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
I was initially concerned about battery life but I'm pretty comfortable now.

I leave my widgets online - facebook, accuweather, my sites rss feed and have found it'll make it through the day without dying.

Although I've just started running Nokia Mobile Web Server sow e'll see what imapct that has...

I might even be starting to lose my N95 induced battery paranoia (i.e. getting edgy after 3 hours withiut charge).

Just think how much life we'll get from a battery a few firmware updates from now...

D

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 15-07-2009, 07:00 AM

Halon is on a distinguished road
I'm with angiepea on this. Same widgets running and tend to fiddle with the phone on and off for most of the day. It comes off charge at about 0630 until midnight - I usually have at least 4 battery bars left.
Nokia N97

6600 > 6630 > N70 > N80 > N95 > N95 8GB > N85 > N97

Old 15-07-2009, 09:21 AM

jamessmith01 is on a distinguished road
Silly question, but how do you keep the widgets online so they update automatically? I had an RSS feed on there but it only updated when I went into the browser, RSS feeds, then refreshed. I have 'connect to internet' set to 'when needed', not 'when available', would that affect it? Cheers.

Old 15-07-2009, 09:44 AM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
On the homescreen - options - content to online mode. In case you've turned it off..
Ads

Old 15-07-2009, 10:06 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
I used to have Accuweather and News Buzz on teh home screen as well as the email clinet, but set it to offline, and then only used periodically check them.

SInce then, I have taken off the widegets apart from email, and have noticed a marked improvement in battery life, and another very small - but important for me - change.

Previously, when I checked my email, there is 'new email' icon which appeared in the top right corner. WHen I read through all the email, the new email indicator was still there, the only was to get rid of that was to re-boot the phone.

However since not having widgets on the home screen, the new emailindicator now works as it should. It appears when I downlaod new unread emails, and disappears when I have read them all.

Not missing the widgets on the home screen really.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 15-07-2009, 10:32 AM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Online 24/7

Home screen live widgets: Facebook, Accuweather

Email is set for two accounts on half-hour checking.

Battery life...by the time I get home from work I need a little topping off occasionally (one or two ticks left).

So far I have never noticed Accuweather being "live"...it seems to need a frequent refresh to pick up the local weather and display the updates. Does anyone know what interval it is supposed to update on? There is nothing in the settings for this.

Old 15-07-2009, 07:56 PM

Anyoe know where I can get the facebook widget?

I also can't find the 'content to online mode' option anywhere... ?

Old 16-07-2009, 09:30 AM

Go to www.davecozens.com/n97 and click on facebook in the "Filter by Tag Cloud" section...

D

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

Old 17-07-2009, 09:22 AM

Thanks Dave.

I still can't get the 'content to online mode' option. Any ideas why it's not there, or how to get it? Cheers.

Old 17-07-2009, 09:34 AM

Options button, bottom left of homescreen sets it for all widgets on homescreen.

Old 17-07-2009, 09:56 AM

Yeah I thought so - I don't have that option any more since updating to v11 FW. Could it have anything to do with no being able to include the 'APE variant' file when flashing with JAF?

Old 18-07-2009, 12:23 PM

kevinx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
Online 24/7

Home screen live widgets: Facebook, Accuweather

Email is set for two accounts on half-hour checking.

Battery life...by the time I get home from work I need a little topping off occasionally (one or two ticks left).

So far I have never noticed Accuweather being "live"...it seems to need a frequent refresh to pick up the local weather and display the updates. Does anyone know what interval it is supposed to update on? There is nothing in the settings for this.
AccuWeather is NOT real time/live updated, YET :-)
Communicated with AccuWeather a couple of weeks ago, and that is in their think tank :-).

Whilst we're on the subject of updates.... :-)

Does anyone have their phone set to "roam" automatically between WiFi and GPRS (UMTS/3G), and does it do so??

I find that if I am connected to a hotspot (home/work) and then move away from the hotspot, my handset still tries to connect, several times, and informs me there is no WiFi connection found (dohhhh!!). I then have to MANUALLY alter settings to GPRS.
Conversly (is that spelt correct??!), if I am connected via GPRS (UMTS/3G), and I move INTO a hotspot, then I have to "force" the handset to connect to WiFi, as opposed to it automatically "roaming" to the WiFi connection.

Wonder if anyone can offer any advice/info?

Thanks

Private response welcome

kevinx_98 on Skype

Old 15-08-2009, 06:05 PM

scott.1 is on a distinguished road
I know this post is almost a month old but I just got my N97 yesterday and was wondering if the widgets update on wifi or are they always connecting using 3G because I have a lot connecting and I would rather let it use wifi than having a huge phone bill

Also I am having a problem with my wifi connection, if i don't leave a browser open then the wifi connection is dropped 30-40 seconds after connecting, with my old LG Renoir I could have the wifi connected all day and it would only disconnect when I walked far away enough from the house. Can the N97 be set up to stay connected all the time?