All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-07-2009, 11:06 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
Camera lens cover is scratching the lens!

Has anyone else noticed scratches on the plastic that goes over their lens, which appear to be caused by the lens cover? When I got my N97 there were no scratches...

At the moment there are three parallel and fairly deep scratches in the plastic that goes over the lens, I think I am lucky in that my scratches are just above and below the area that covers the lens, so they are not visible on photos, however, I'm sure there was only one scratch last week and now there are 3 so maybe the cover is creating more scratches as I use it.

I can smell a recall of N97s coming on!

BTW, does anyone else have a problem taking a picture using the flash when holding the phone landscape orientation? Mine seems to end up with a light section (about one sixth of the image) on the left.. Problem does not occur if phone is portrait or flash is not used...

Old 13-07-2009, 11:10 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
Mine does it too. It's the scratch catching the light and flaring over the photo. I can't take photos with the flash indoors anymore!

:(

It's the only thing about my n97 that I'm finding disappointing.

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 13-07-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecozens View Post
Mine does it too. It's the scratch catching the light and flaring over the photo. I can't take photos with the flash indoors anymore!

:(

It's the only thing about my n97 that I'm finding disappointing.
This is a huge and shocking design flaw and they will need to redesign the camera cover and offer a free update to all N97 users, as the phone is damaging itself!

Your theory about the scratches causing the 'light area' when using the flash makes sense, when the phone is landscape the scratches will be vertical and the light could be distorted. I guess this means that I haven't been as lucky as I thought and the image without the flash is also being affected, but it's just harder to notice.

Old 13-07-2009, 11:30 AM

dorisall is on a distinguished road
I guess this mostly due to the way we open the slide cover which is by putting your finger on the middle part an sliding it down while putting pressure on it.

I suggest using your finger nail to push it down from the top instead of applying pressure.

This is a design flaw and i think the n86 will have the same problem because there isn't any part of the slide mechanism that facilitates its movement.
Ericsson T19 -> Nokia 3330 -> Nokia 8310 -> Nokia 6310 -> Samsung T100 -> Nokia 7210 -> Nokia 7650 -> Nokia 3650 -> Nokia 7250 -> Nokia 6600 -> imate pocket pc -> Sony Ericsson P900 -> Nokia 9290 -> Nokia 9500 -> Motorola V600 -> Motorola Razr -> Nokia 7280 -> Nokia N90 -> Nokia N93 -> Blackberry Pearl -> Nokia 95(NOW) -> Nokia E90 -> Motorola Razr2 V8 -> Nokia N71 -> Imate PDA2K (Still have it) ->Nokia N95 8GB -> Nokia E71-1 -> Samsung T919 -> Nokia N96 -> T-Mobile G1 + Nokia N96 -> Nokia N97

Old 13-07-2009, 11:31 AM

My main scratch is between the led and the lense, so although the scratch doesn't show on pics the light hitting it makes indoor shots with flash impossible!

Anybody else getting this issue? Check you lenses!

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

Old 13-07-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorisall View Post
I guess this mostly due to the way we open the slide cover which is by putting your finger on the middle part an sliding it down while putting pressure on it.

I suggest using your finger nail to push it down from the top instead of applying pressure.

This is a design flaw and i think the n86 will have the same problem because there isn't any part of the slide mechanism that facilitates its movement.
Since there are no detailed instructions about opening the lens cover (with a warning about not using your finger in the centre of it), I would say this is a design problem and not a problem with how it's being used. On top of this problem, the cover itself is too easy to open when you are removing the phone from a pocket.

There is no way putting light pressure anywhere on a lens cover should scratch the lens underneath. The purpose of the cover is to protect the lens, as it stands my N97 lens would be in better condition if it had no cover at all!

This kind of obvious flaw does make me worry about how the opening mechanism for the keyboard will hold up.

Old 13-07-2009, 11:43 AM

See http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...read.id=147821 for another discussion of issue...

Also: -
http://www.n97geeks.com/It-s-Broke/1...ens-Cover.html
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ight=scratches

Last edited by davecozens; 13-07-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Old 13-07-2009, 11:44 AM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
Just checked mine, i have scratch lines where the lens cover slides up and down also.

Luckily (so far, anyway) the lines don't go directly over the camera centre.

Old 13-07-2009, 11:59 AM

dorisall is on a distinguished road
Just for knowing, are your devices Finnish or Chinese ? Mine is black Chinese and I don't have any scratches, but then again I didn't use the camera that often.
Ericsson T19 -> Nokia 3330 -> Nokia 8310 -> Nokia 6310 -> Samsung T100 -> Nokia 7210 -> Nokia 7650 -> Nokia 3650 -> Nokia 7250 -> Nokia 6600 -> imate pocket pc -> Sony Ericsson P900 -> Nokia 9290 -> Nokia 9500 -> Motorola V600 -> Motorola Razr -> Nokia 7280 -> Nokia N90 -> Nokia N93 -> Blackberry Pearl -> Nokia 95(NOW) -> Nokia E90 -> Motorola Razr2 V8 -> Nokia N71 -> Imate PDA2K (Still have it) ->Nokia N95 8GB -> Nokia E71-1 -> Samsung T919 -> Nokia N96 -> T-Mobile G1 + Nokia N96 -> Nokia N97

Old 13-07-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkiii View Post
Just checked mine, i have scratch lines where the lens cover slides up and down also.

Luckily (so far, anyway) the lines don't go directly over the camera centre.
That doesn't help. My worst scratch is away from the lens and the reflected light from the scratch ruins pics with flash... Click link for BIG detailed photo

http://www.davecozens.com/n97/scratch.htm

Ads

Old 13-07-2009, 12:18 PM

Hmm... previous post got moderated for images inline.

See photos of my scratches at http://www.davecozens.com/n97/scratch.htm

My worst scratch is in the middle of lens and led and the flare from it is nasty. It's not just scratches on the lens area itself!

Old 13-07-2009, 12:30 PM

Gerco is on a distinguished road
Yup, I already noticed the scratches after opening and closing the lens cover only a couple of times... I will follow this thread to see if any news comes up on this issue...

Old 13-07-2009, 12:30 PM

scott. is on a distinguished road
after reading this thread i had alook at my phone and low and behold i have a scratch that goes right down the lens so i have organised play to come and collect it for a refund

Last edited by scott.; 13-07-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Old 13-07-2009, 01:12 PM

Yolmol is on a distinguished road
Mine has been in a CP-323 Nokia Case since I first bought it so dust/debris should be very limited - I've got scratches on the lense, only minor but I find this ridiculous considering I have only used the camera on two occassions.

Old 13-07-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolmol View Post
Mine has been in a CP-323 Nokia Case since I first bought it so dust/debris should be very limited - I've got scratches on the lense, only minor but I find this ridiculous considering I have only used the camera on two occassions.
I noticed my first scratch after using the camera once, within 10 mins of unboxing, so it's nothing to do with 'trapped dirt' and everything to do with a design/manufacturing fault.