All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 24-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic the No. 1 contract phone in Europe?

Well, not quite, but it's a fair indication. According to the eagle-eyed Jay (who has thankfully scanned the appropriate table), the Europe-wide Carphone Warehouse has listed its top selling pay-monthly phones - the Nokia 5800 is number 1, with the Apple iPhone at 2 and the Tocco Ultra feature phone at 3. As Jay notes, it's really not surprising, given that the 5800 started free on £15 a month contracts, undercutting the iPhone by a factor of around two, while out-speccing it in many departments (the exceptions being screen tech and size of app store).

Read on in the full article.

Old 24-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Mr Mark

Doesn't surprise me...

For the money it's an awesome little phone plus, of course, it's not hobbled to O2. I have to say that I'm very happy with mine - I considered both the N97 and the iPhone 3GS but neither do anythign I particularly value better than the 5800.

And by 'value' I mean calling, texting, music playing and surfing.

Old 24-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Unregistered

In other news

It looks like a v31 firmware update is imminent.

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjp_GydydYM 57 seconds in

Old 24-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Yes, v31 firmware was the stable release inside Nokia a couple of weeks ago. I suspect it'll appear in public this week.

Old 24-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Unregistered

Nokia know what most people want, and it isn't what the average AAS forum poster wants!

As for V31. I'll won't bother with that until iPlayer downloads work with it.

Old 24-06-2009, 03:45 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
dont worry, i'll bet a million dollars v31 will NOT come out for us north americans. you know, that would just be CRAZY for nokia to release an already existing firmware to our 5800. insanity, i say! lunacy!!

Old 24-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Unregistered

from the video,
V31.0.015
Log,
Great new features!
Updated applications!
Performance improvements!

kinetic scrolling and 5530style homescreen???

Old 24-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Unregistered

Lmao, are you actually comparing a phone available on multiple carriers against a phone exclusive to one carrier and saying its fair?

The iPhone is second and that's against a much cheaper phone that's available on multiple carriers and that's a good thing? If I were Nokia I'd be embarrassed lol
Ads

Old 24-06-2009, 09:14 PM

jah is on a distinguished road
The iPhone has had nearly 3 years of massive free media hype and the unknown 5800 beats it! Now that is a feat evenb if the 5800 is cheaper.

Old 24-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Unregistered

oh really?

"Lmao, are you actually comparing a phone available on multiple carriers against a phone exclusive to one carrier and saying its fair?

The iPhone is second and that's against a much cheaper phone that's available on multiple carriers and that's a good thing? If I were Nokia I'd be embarrassed lol"

What phone do you mean? If you claim that iPhone is available on just one carrier, then that's not true. That might be the case in USA, but in Europe iPhone is available from multiple carriers. So the comparison is wery much fair. Sure eg. the Finnish-Swedish TeliaSonera is not the only one who offers iPhone in Europe. And even if it would be available from one carrier only, then so what? Customers can change carrier if they want.
Obviously customers just like Nokia 5800 XpressMusic more than iPhone. If some iPhone fanatics can't accept that then WHO CARES what they think?

Old 24-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah View Post
The iPhone has had nearly 3 years of massive free media hype and the unknown 5800 beats it! Now that is a feat evenb if the 5800 is cheaper.
Well that's not really any big surprise. 5800 XM has much more advanced features and lower price when compared to iPhone. iPhone is just overpriced when you think it's poor features.

Old 25-06-2009, 07:09 AM
The Alliterator

The 5800xm is one of a large range of phones supplied by Nokia with Symbian/S60. Wonder what the total Symbian count is.

Anyway, well done Nokia, you defied the know-it-all Nokia knockers yet again. When will they learn?

Old 25-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Mr Mark

"Lmao, are you actually comparing a phone available on multiple carriers against a phone exclusive to one carrier and saying its fair?"

Actually, that's exactly what he isn't doing - he's comparing sales from one distribution channel - CPW. If you think about it that makes the position even wose for the iPhone because:

1) The iPhone is only available from three outlets - O2, CPW and Apple.
2) The 5800 is available from virtually anywhere.
3) Despite being available in so many other places the 5800 still outsells the iPhone at CPW (I'd also point out the 5800 isn't available on Vodafone on CPW's website).

The implication is that the 5800 is doing a lot better overall than the iPhone 3G was in the UK. Of course this may change with the 3GS.

Old 25-06-2009, 11:22 AM

nparayo is on a distinguished road
I think the 5800 has taken on a better market the low cost one which most people are on. It's not about poor/rich. Me I only use about 200-300mins a Month. Then I am willing to spend about 10-15 a month on credit and 10 a month for a Phone. I Pay 20 a month for my N82 for 300mins and 100texts and (5 500MB) data a perfect package for me 25 total.

Im not going to Pay 35 a month for 600mins, 1000 texts?, data + even at this price extra for the phone. Im not going to use the minutes so to me im paying more just for the phone, this goes for especially the iPhone and all top range handsets, I just cant justify the cost.

I use the same argument for Windows VS Mac OS it may be better but im not going to fork over potentially double the cost for something better if something that still does the job for less albeit a few arguable problems. (even though i think Windows and Symbian are better im giving the benfit of the doubt)

Old 26-06-2009, 12:50 AM

rickysymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well that's not really any big surprise. 5800 XM has much more advanced features and lower price when compared to iPhone. iPhone is just overpriced when you think it's poor features.

Really? You think iPhones are just overpriced? Then, that would make me stick to Nokia more. Many of my friends are also raving about the beauty of Nokia's xpress muisc phones.