All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-08-2009, 08:56 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
I've done a small benchmark of DLNA with the only two phones I own that support it, namely the Samsung i8910 HD and the Nokia N82. The test consisted in copying a 358MB xvid video file from a Fedora 11 desktop running uShare. Here are the results:
i8910 HD: 14:15
N82: 21:27
Both phones were very slow at transferring the file. By comparison, copying the same file using scp to my laptop (also running Fedora) only took 2:42.
A couple of bugs came up with this test, which are probably worth mentioning:
- Initially, I intended to use MediaTomb, another DLNA server for Linux. With MT, the i8910 HD was able to browse the content normally, but not to copy files. Each copy resulted in the progress bar being stuck at 0% with no data being transferred. Copying using MT worked normally on the N82. Perhaps these incompatibilities are what's preventing the i8910 HD from being certified.
- On the N82, I wasn't able to monitor the progress of the data transfer. In any copy operation, the progress bar starts at about 65% and doesn't move for all the duration of the transfer.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:18 PM

surge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvirga View Post
I've done a small benchmark of DLNA with the only two phones I own that support it, namely the Samsung i8910 HD and the Nokia N82. The test consisted in copying a 358MB xvid video file from a Fedora 11 desktop running uShare. Here are the results:
i8910 HD: 14:15
N82: 21:27
Both phones were very slow at transferring the file. By comparison, copying the same file using scp to my laptop (also running Fedora) only took 2:42.
A couple of bugs came up with this test, which are probably worth mentioning:
- Initially, I intended to use MediaTomb, another DLNA server for Linux. With MT, the i8910 HD was able to browse the content normally, but not to copy files. Each copy resulted in the progress bar being stuck at 0% with no data being transferred. Copying using MT worked normally on the N82. Perhaps these incompatibilities are what's preventing the i8910 HD from being certified.
- On the N82, I wasn't able to monitor the progress of the data transfer. In any copy operation, the progress bar starts at about 65% and doesn't move for all the duration of the transfer.
Thanks for taking the time to test man, I appreciate it.

I think we need to bring samsung conclusive evidence that this feature does not work properly. I posted a thread on their mobile innovator forums, and one of their employees responded that he has only tested DLNA with the samsung WMG100 device (which I cannot find for sale ANYWHERE -- what a shocker) and it works fine without buffering.

However -- he has only tested streaming from the phone, and since the WMG100 only supports a maximum resolution of 480p -- this definitely make sense compared to Tenknom's results.

I do not have any other DLNA mobile devices to test out with orb or windows media player 11's built in DLNA server.

I suppose if the Omnia II has DLNA then I could have someone rip it and I could test it out on my HTC touch cruise..that's pretty much the only other option I have for a comparison.

Are the DLNA applications the same on both phones?

Old 12-08-2009, 06:07 AM

I suppose there are different interpretations of the results of my little benchmark, but the impressions that I got is that DLNA is slow, period. If there's something wrong with the implementation of the i8910 HD that took 14 mins. to copy a 358MB file, there's something wronger with the N82 that took 21 mins. to do the same thing.
Anyway, to test the server-side of the DLNA program in the i8910HD, this morning I downloaded XBMC, a cross-platform media center software that can stream different sources, including DLNA servers. Using this, I was able to play HD video, shot with the i8910 HD and streamed using the phone's DLNA program, both audio and video, both on Windows and on Linux. So my conclusions are:
1) a media center PC is a viable alternative to the limited, and probably expensive, Samsung WMG100 thingy
2) if you just want to stream to your PC, go ahead and download XBMC. It's free, it works, and it's available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Edit: OMG, it's so awesome! XBMC can be configured as a DLNA rendererer (Settings - Network - UPnP Settings - Autostart UPnP Client & Enable UPnP Renderer), allowing the i8910 HD to act as a remote control between the DLNA server and XBMC. Just set XBMC to be the default renderer in Settings (on the i8910), browse the DLNA server, and double-tap on a video. The video will start playing on XBMC, and the screen on i8910 will display a music player-like interface, allowing you to pause/play, ff and rewind.

Last edited by rvirga; 12-08-2009 at 07:17 AM.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:29 PM

surge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvirga View Post
I suppose there are different interpretations of the results of my little benchmark, but the impressions that I got is that DLNA is slow, period. If there's something wrong with the implementation of the i8910 HD that took 14 mins. to copy a 358MB file, there's something wronger with the N82 that took 21 mins. to do the same thing.
Anyway, to test the server-side of the DLNA program in the i8910HD, this morning I downloaded XBMC, a cross-platform media center software that can stream different sources, including DLNA servers. Using this, I was able to play HD video, shot with the i8910 HD and streamed using the phone's DLNA program, both audio and video, both on Windows and on Linux. So my conclusions are:
1) a media center PC is a viable alternative to the limited, and probably expensive, Samsung WMG100 thingy
2) if you just want to stream to your PC, go ahead and download XBMC. It's free, it works, and it's available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Edit: OMG, it's so awesome! XBMC can be configured as a DLNA rendererer (Settings - Network - UPnP Settings - Autostart UPnP Client & Enable UPnP Renderer), allowing the i8910 HD to act as a remote control between the DLNA server and XBMC. Just set XBMC to be the default renderer in Settings (on the i8910), browse the DLNA server, and double-tap on a video. The video will start playing on XBMC, and the screen on i8910 will display a music player-like interface, allowing you to pause/play, ff and rewind.
Good post. I will share your results with the i8910 forum and try it out for myself. Any stutters or buffers with XMBC?

Old 13-08-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge View Post
Good post. I will share your results with the i8910 forum and try it out for myself. Any stutters or buffers with XMBC?
I've played with it yesterday extensively, and there was no rebuffering nor stuttering. HD videos streamed at a measured 7-8Mbps from the phone to my laptop, which was enough to play them smoothly and without interruptions. I've also found out that the 'Play' entry in the menu actually does something - namely, plays the file - when a default renderer has been set in the Options menu.
The i8910 was not intended by Samsung to be used a DLNA player (although it would be extremely cool if it could), just a server and controlpoint. And, at least when used with XBMC as renderer, it works exactly as advertised.
Comparing the DLNA app on the N82 with the i8910 one, the i8910 lose the ability to play content (which on the N82 works mostly on music and photos, being the video player very picky in the video formats it supports), but gains a lot more options as a DLNA controlpoint (the N82 is only capable of play/pause, while on the i8910 you can also jump to any point of the video, and set up playlists of content to be shown sequentially).

Old 13-08-2009, 10:49 AM

rleader is on a distinguished road
rvirga: excellent progress

This is great information and exciting news: many thanks!
My Connect Home app remains broken, as I've discussed previously (even after another round of reflashing the italian firmware, hard rest, xxIG2 update, hard reset). No idea why I lost that app, it worked fine on my original xxIE2. Another weird i8910 experience for me. I'm going to have to find time to try out XMBC - does XMBC circumvent the need for the Connected Home app?
In all honesty, my i8910 is no longer my main handset - I've gone back to my older WinMo one, as I don't have enough confidence in the software yet.
Also, rvirga - I'm having the odd complete crash i.e. about once a week, at a random time. I think my handset has some hardware bugs (it was an early unit in the UK, late May) - so, when is the best time to go for a warranty to get the latest Orange firmware... mmm... may start another thread!

Old 13-08-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleader View Post
My Connect Home app remains broken, as I've discussed previously (even after another round of reflashing the italian firmware, hard rest, xxIG2 update, hard reset). No idea why I lost that app, it worked fine on my original xxIE2. Another weird i8910 experience for me. I'm going to have to find time to try out XMBC - does XMBC circumvent the need for the Connected Home app?
XBMC works as a DLNA renderer, and in that capacity it needs the Connected Home app. However, it should also capable of streaming from SMB/CIFS shares. Have you tried either SymNC or SymNAS from Telexy? They're not free, but have free trial versions, and they list the i8910 HD as a compatible device.
Also, in a few days a new Italian firmware update should come out; maybe that will bring your Connected Home app back...

Old 13-08-2009, 02:00 PM

thank for the prompt reply - more probs

rvirga - many thanks as ever. I'm going to look into XBMC anyway & will try your suggestions to avoid my broken Connected Home app tonight. I will await the next Italian firmware update & see what happens after that. Thanks; oh, I've also run into c:phone memory (low memory error messages; I think from a self-cancelled Route 66 install couple to QuickOffice 6 then failing to install - from latest, great, AAS podcast # 144 I believe Quickoffice 6 requires install to c: - well, it didn't give me any option to go for E:, and suddenly I found I went from 40mb free c: to 0mb !) and now I can't find anything I can easily delete. With Y-browser there just doesn't seem to be any old Route 66 or Quickoffice files you can get rid off (?). I'm going to reflash all over again to solve that, probably in the next hour or so. The straightaway try Quickoffice update install, and put back R66 onto e:. Then restore my latest backup.
Ads

Old 26-08-2009, 09:07 PM

Erumevasmeats is on a distinguished road
How to use DLNA

The read process call does not use the start/end time.

It uses something like processinginterval/number of intervals".

The HDA spec will explain the parameters in detail. The code uses the same names as described in the spec.

Old 30-08-2009, 12:14 PM

capitaine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleader View Post
Hi ruubs,
As far as I can see on the DLNA.org website, the i8910 is not even DLNA-certified! (no certificate!)

2) it is, in practice, not DLNA-certified AFAIK
http://www.dlna.org/retail/products/
click on search & try & find it... (PS good luck :-) )
just thought I'd let you know about this from another forum:

I emailed DLNA about the fact that the i8910 was not listed as a certified product on their website, and this was their reply:

Thank you for your comment. The GT-i8910 Omnia is a DLNA Certified device.
The information in our Search & Match database is updated on a rolling basis
by the manufactures, so check back periodically and newer devices will have
populated the list.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions,

Best regards,
DLNA Administration

Old 23-09-2009, 10:55 AM

thanks - but after 4 months it's still not on DLNA database

@capitaine : Hi - many thanks! Interesting stuff. I just checked the database again at DLNA. It is still not listed AFAIK. So, that means, although they can add other devices to their databases during the last 4 months (since I have been checking regularly e.g. every other week), they haven't added the i8910. mmm...
in practice (well, the first 5 weeks i.e. up until my DLNA has refused completely to work: @rvirga - I know, I probably need an exchange...) DLNA never did work 'properly' for me even when I could link it up to my PS3 (see other threads), and, in practice, I still say that for 99% of people it doesn't do any sort of a practical job. Of course, if anyone else is of a different opinion, and DLNA does work flawlessly for them as advertised - please comment, and/or suggest the cheapest ways of achieving this advertised function. :-)

Old 14-12-2009, 04:28 PM

Bradfordlad is on a distinguished road
I may have a solution for anybody wanting to stream via DLNA

Hi Guys

I like most of you on here have been struggling trying to get my phone (i8910)to stream video or anything to my laptop or elsewhere.

I have no idea at all how anybody as got this phone working with windows media player at all. ive tried everything but cannot get media player to see anything from the phone or play, and I cannot download or take anything from windows media player to my phone either. no idea why it doesnt work ??

Ive tried XMBC server and was surprised how easy that worked, I streamed the helicopter video from my phone to XMBC server on my laptop and it played great. but again look at the actual screen resolution of the file its way small. Any how it played great streaming to my phone using 54g wireless conections.

Ideally I wanted to stream from my mobile to my Xbox, but I dont think im clever enough to work that one out. ive tried media sharing on the xbox and laptop and can see files from xbox and laptop both ways. However when I goto my mobile I see the both my laptop and xbox as the players, but the settings do not hold for them so I cant stream to them for whatever reason I dont know.

Anyhow ive just seen what I think might be a possible solution to the problem we all seem to have and that is a blu ray player which is DLNA certified. The player in connection is an LG BD390 im wondering if this could be the answer to the problem, surely with this device I will be able to stream straight to the blu ray player. What do you guys think ??

Ive just spoken to LG to ask and they say it should work if the I8910 is DLNA certifified to DLNA Interoperability verison 1.5 or above, but like you how do we find that out ???

I might take the plunge and try it, if I can get my hands on one of this players for Xmas and find somewhere with one in stock!!

Old 22-04-2010, 10:44 AM

How is everyone getting along with DLNA? 11 months on... from UK launch

Hello there; *shock* it's almost 11 months since I decided on the i8910, and only now (without Samsung input) is this handset finally getting some unofficial, ex-warranty, software love (aka HyperX, big Kudos).
But, I'm someone who just wants to use their handset, not become a high-level software consultant... so, confessing to my ultimate laziness... can I just ask people out there how (are they at all?) they are using DLNA 'successfully', by which I mean, as advertised by Samsung i.e. 720p movies (especially those recorded on the handset, even if they are poor quality), streaming 'perfectly' to an HD-ready or above television direct from the handset?
I've seen a few YouTube movies on this, and I'm open to all solutions...
PS I STILL can't find the i8910 as being certified for DLNA officially
www.dlna.org/products

Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 PM

shug is on a distinguished road
I have bought a Samsung 7 series with the dongle and have also upgraded to an N router and this does play videos from the phone although it's not flawless - often the video will play a couple of secs then buffer then play the video properly. Quality is good though. Unfortunately videos recorded on the phone are just about the only ones the tv will play. Still worth the dongle though since it works great with a media server on the pc.