All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-06-2009, 04:49 PM

zeacon is on a distinguished road
N86 Please help!

Dear all,

major problem:

I've just bought the new N86 3 days ago, its amazing and great, but today I faced a really frustrating problem. The problem is with the FM Transmitter, whenever I try to activate it I get a message saying "Feature is not supported", now I read about the FM Transmitter allowance in my country and it is allowed (I am in Kuwait, and from http://www.nokia.com/fmtransmitter shows the status of Kuwait as YES allowed). Please help.

minor problem:

This problem is not major its just nice to be able to use, its regarding the turning control. I've enabled the turning control for both silencing an incoming call and for snoozing the alarm, but I don't seem to be able to use. I tried flipping the phone down and in every direction but I just can't get it to work.

Please note that I've installed the Nokia Software Updater and it identified my phone and gave me a messge saying that my software is up-to-date.

Thanks everyone

Old 21-06-2009, 12:17 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer I had this problem with my N85

I purchased it from HongKong where FM was not allowed .. I had to change product code and flash the firmware to the euro1 code.

However - there probably will not be firmware available for the N86 just yet. I would wait until it is. Check there is a code that supports your desired writing / display language as well (I'm assuming you'd like Arabic support?) ..

so the answer is all good things come to those who wait.

Old 21-06-2009, 08:23 AM

Solved!

Hello Seki,

Thanks alot for your reply. I really was eager to see anyone reply to my message, I had posted a similar post at Nokia's official forum but no one replied.

I would like to thank you for guiding me to where the problem lies. I had read about similar problems with N85s and N78s about being imported from countries that do not allow FM transmitters, and the only way to solve this is by changing the country code registered in the device's model number using some flashing software.

Yesterday I was desperate and had downloaded a software recommended by many other forums. And was just about to flash my N86 then I decided to try out something mentioned in other posts about hard restore of factory defaults (pressing and holding 3 buttons when starting the phone) and there it solved the FM transmitter error message (was saying "Feature not supported"). But when I tried to use the OVI suit to restore back my contacts, messages, configuration.....etc. There the error message started appearing again and my transmitter stopped working.

So I hard restored again, but this time I did not import back everything just the contacts and messages and dumped the configuration and other stuff. Till today the transmitter is working and I hope it continues working.

Anyway, I would like to thank you Seki for being the only one to reply to me.

Old 21-06-2009, 09:55 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Glad you got it working!

Can you link or paste the other information you used to solve the problem ..

That will be useful to others who have similar problems in the future!

Old 21-06-2009, 10:15 AM

Hard reset procedure.

To those who face similar problems, try this first before you try other dangerous solutions like debranding your device. But be careful, this "Hard Reset" will erase all your personal information (contacts, calender events, notes, configuration, .....etc) but not stored data on memory cards. So I advise to create a backup of everything using OVI PC Suit.

The procedure for the hard reset is:

1) Make sure phone is fully charged and switch it off.

2) Press simultaneously the green "call" button, '*' and '3', and keep them down.

3) With those 3 keys down, switch the phone on.

4) Only release the 3 keys when the phone shows signs of life such as the Nokia logo or the language selection screen.

Before you restore you backup back to the device, test if your problem got solved, because restoring the configuration might bring back the problem.

Old 24-06-2009, 04:52 AM

Help!! Another problem.

Hi Seki,

Please help me! My N86 is not turning ON, the battery was very weak then it turned off, I've tried recharging it but the small led is on but nothing on the screen (used to show that its charging on the screen when its turned off).

And when I try pressing the power button it just vibrates then nothing actually starts. I've tried removing the battery and reinserting it but same thing no recharging indicator and not turning ON.

Please let me know if you've faced anything like this or if you know how to solve it.

I am using the USB cable to recharge is this why its not recharging and not turning ON?

Last edited by zeacon; 24-06-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Ads

Old 25-06-2009, 07:34 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Reset

@ zeacon : there is stil power on your phone , since it's vibrating at the start-up . Is the LED light only on at charging or also when off the charger ? The first probably means it is charging . When you want to make it work again you have to do a proper Reset again - keep the charger on the Phone , just in case battery is too low . In this thread you can read more about Resetting :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=81021
Otherwise : visit your Nokia Service Point .

Regards jApi NL

Old 04-07-2009, 03:16 PM

IJM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeacon View Post
Dear all,

major problem:

I've just bought the new N86 3 days ago, its amazing and great, but today I faced a really frustrating problem. The problem is with the FM Transmitter, whenever I try to activate it I get a message saying "Feature is not supported", now I read about the FM Transmitter allowance in my country and it is allowed (I am in Kuwait, and from http://www.nokia.com/fmtransmitter shows the status of Kuwait as YES allowed). Please help.

minor problem:

This problem is not major its just nice to be able to use, its regarding the turning control. I've enabled the turning control for both silencing an incoming call and for snoozing the alarm, but I don't seem to be able to use. I tried flipping the phone down and in every direction but I just can't get it to work.

Please note that I've installed the Nokia Software Updater and it identified my phone and gave me a messge saying that my software is up-to-date.

Thanks everyone

Please note, you DO NOT need to hard format your phone. This is a 30 second fix.

Some people on v10 on the N86 have been having problems with the FM transmitter not working, even if their country allows this.

I suffered this problem when buying mine from Nokia UK and shipped to the UK.

To allow the FM transmitter to work do the following:

Menu - Tools - Settings - General - Personalisation - Standby Mode - Standby Theme - > Choose Horizontal.

Turn the phone off.

Turn it back on again.

FM transmitter works, you can now change the standby theme back to your preferred choice.

Crazy bug.

Thanks IJM @ Nokia Users.

Old 27-08-2009, 01:41 PM

djneils98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJM View Post
To allow the FM transmitter to work do the following:

Menu - Tools - Settings - General - Personalisation - Standby Mode - Standby Theme - > Choose Horizontal.

Turn the phone off.

Turn it back on again.

FM transmitter works, you can now change the standby theme back to your preferred choice.

Crazy bug.

Thanks IJM @ Nokia Users.
this fix does not work for me - does anyone have any other ideas??

Old 27-10-2009, 07:47 PM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
My N86 bricked whilst the pc crashed during an update to V2

Old 28-10-2009, 10:52 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile PC Crash and Update

To bad riverboat . I cannot give a straight answer to this issue . Crashing PC while updating , probably means the new firmware didn't install properly . So a hard reset doesn't work either , since the firmware is not completed . Two advices come to mind . Try to update again , or visit a Nokia Service Point and explain what happened , so they can do a new Firmware update .

Regards jApi NL

Old 28-12-2009, 01:00 PM

guanidene is on a distinguished road
Smile Soln. to FM Transmitter

well , even i had the same problem of FM transmitter saying feature not supported suddenly (although i have been using this from 2 months).
I restored my factory settings and the bug got fixed.
reply if this works for u.