All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-06-2009, 11:28 AM

BradAll is on a distinguished road
Angry Very Short Battery Life... help?!?

Hi, i recently got the samsung i8910 and i love it. I have no complaints about it at all except for the crazily short battery life.

I took it off charge when it was fully charged just before i went to bed last night. I checked and made sure that there was no running programs and all active connections had been disabled.

When i got up this morning i only had 1 bar left.

How come the battery is draining so quickly when not being used and it is locked??

I have already dissabled video sharing and i have changed my packet data to "when needed" but i still have the same issue.

Can someone please help??

Thanks

Old 03-06-2009, 01:32 PM

BigCal is on a distinguished road
Same here, switched everything off, wifi, bluetooth, video sharing etc.
Turned the Wlan power down from 100ma to 10ma.

I had the phone on charge last night and I unplugged it at 8.15am
I have not used the phone at all, no calls, messages, no video playback nada nothing at all, at 2.30pm its down to 2 bars !!! (it has been on stand by so no screensaver)

I have had it for a week now and the battery has been cycled 6 or 7 times.

I love the phone but as it stands I have to conclude that there is something seriously wrong here. God knows what it will be like when I swap over and start using it full time.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:14 PM

How did u turn down the wlan power?
I have been searching the phone for a bit now and found nothing haha
Thanks
Ads

Old 05-06-2009, 12:56 PM

settings - connectivity - wireless lan - options - settings - options - advanced settings

I let my phone run completely down and then charged while switched off, might be too early to say but its now 2pm and its still on full charge, not used it much but much better than previously when it was draining while doing nothing.

Fingers crossed

Old 05-06-2009, 02:22 PM

Thank you very much for your help

I let mine run down then gave it a good charge and it seems to be a lot better now.
I left it on overnight with the keylock on and nothing else runing and it barly lost any power at all
Well if all is working now then i guess it just a great phone with absolutly nothing wrong with it haha brilliant.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:03 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Battery Life

Hi guys ! There's a lot to say about battery life ...
Two things are important :
1 . After a full charge in the beginning , use it down completedly ...
2. Keep it on the Charger , while the Pnone is completely switched off for several hours . Overnight for instance !
Repeat this (1 + 2) once in a while .

Regards jApi NL

Old 09-06-2009, 03:41 PM

rleader is on a distinguished road
I, too, have had none of these problems. The battery life for me (5 full discharges then 5 full charges) is nothing short of amazing for the sue I am getting out of a device with such a large screen. Please see my reply to the posting
battery life?
started up by the user:
abadassbiker

Good luck!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:37 PM

sciroccokid is on a distinguished road
I think the batteries are lagging behind the hardware at this point?

Old 13-06-2009, 09:38 AM

shug is on a distinguished road
It's worth checking that the accuweather widget isn't polling the gps constantly if it's set to my location.

Old 13-06-2009, 11:29 AM

IMHO I would really stress doing several e.g. 5 full discharges (where the phone refuses to switch on) then 5 full charges, on the battery. But, it's best to do this on a completely new, fresh, battery - I have no idea what happens if you do this on even a semi-used Li-Ion.

I proved this to myself on several WM5/6/6.1 handsets over the last few years. e.g. I have a third-party 3000 mAh battery on a WM5 handset that still lasts me a week, with moderate use, and over a month on standby (I don't use it much now), and it is now 2 years old.

I know, patience is a difficult virtue, but I now do the above battery charge 'cycling' with every bit of new kit I buy. It makes a huge difference (it's probably not well advertised as batteries are obviously a big source of income for manufacturers!) and helps the planet too i guess blah blah

Then apply all the known tweaks (see elsewhere: packet data/video sharing ones) and ensuring WiFi and GPS apps are fully closed via the S60 'open apps' dialog and forcing them to quit after use.

With quite regular use in 3G (4h), dipping into camera (30 min), GPS (1h) etc, plus my recent testing on this new handset, I am just about getting to end of day 2 before charging is forced on me.

Old 13-06-2009, 09:04 PM

abadassbiker is on a distinguished road
terrible battery life

after owning silver n95 then onto black n95 with a half decent battery life i then got this i8910 as an upgrade as been out of contract waiting for nearly a year for a phone that i would replace my n95 8g for.

Going on the reports of you need to flatten the battery 1st properly for it hold a decent charge, i would say that if your one those people that 1st say took delivery of their new phone in the day charged it up fully put their sim in used it a little like flicked through its menus set the time etc took a pic and odd video then noticed it was down a bar already, but you then decided to plug your phone into your pc to load your backed up contact details? If so the phone was now charging via the usb surely not helping this matter.

I have it acknowledged from high up at Orange that there is a problem with the battery life on this phone and after receiving my second new i8910 its no different from the 1st one.

So they are sending me new replacement battery and i am going to put it to the test full charge then full flatten with no usb charging use and test the battery life from then on.

Going on another post on this site there has been some long mp4 playbacks with these batteries and they are doing 8 hours plus.

His post stated that the battery indicator is non linear i had noticed that too, and i am wondering if there is any battery indicator software that works in more detail and is correct?

One thing i had noticed was the packet data hanging on all the time and was needing manual reset in Admin settings.
So i de-branded it last night wow!
packet data is used only when needed now and i never need to play with settings to turn it off.

Problem now is Orange maps where fully functional before on my Panther 1200 price plan now don't work.

Got route 66 but it wants money to navigate.

Garmin Xt is working but eek bit nasty compared to TomTom Copilot and Ndrive .

Old 15-06-2009, 11:45 PM

Quist09 is on a distinguished road
Ok, so my battery sucks as well. Still, after depleting and recharging, it now seems a little better.

I've got to have pushmail and UMTS on all the time, so I'm power challenged. I'd be interested if anyone finds a version of Mfe that will work on the phone as I've heard that it's easier on battery drain than Roadsync, but as yet it's one of the many Nokia-only apps.

Also, with other phones, there has been speculation that backing up, reformating and restoring the microSD might help. I may try that as a last ditch effort down the line as I use a 16GB card in mine on top of the built in 16GB.

Last, but not least. I've been unable to stop the three, always-on apps from running in the background. Anyone have any suggestions there?

Old 16-06-2009, 11:07 AM

I have had this phone for a couple of weeks now and the battery life is much much much better.

As already said in this and many similar threads, let the battery go right down, run a loop of music etc to drain it totally, switch it on and drain any last drop of power, then switch it off and do a full mains charge (not USB). Once you have done this 2 or 3 times the battery life increases dramatically.

I have 3G on, Wifi searching off, Bluetooth off.

As for the 3 apps that are running, these are your 3 screens available by swiping your finger across the screen, I think they call it the 3D menu or something. They are always there and thats fine if you really want to lose them you could switch to a basic theme, but whats the point? why buy a fancy phone then switch everything off

Old 16-06-2009, 12:21 PM

Oh no!

Respect to BradAll - had my i8910 for two weeks now & two nights ago I had this problem for the first time!!!

Woke up, instead of to the alarm, but to the low battery beep. As per my other posts, I've carefully conditioned my battery, done the tweaks like BradAll and I checked I had no running background apps + had 6 bars left. The only thing I did differently was set the alarm. I did not soft reset the handset, but I did use GPS/Wifi heavily during the previous day.

So, thinking it might be something to do with the Alarm app, I repeated the above, but ensured I soft reset the handset before bed. This time, no problems at all, and I still had full battery bars + an alarm this morning.

I can only conclude that the GPS or WiFi can set off a rogue background process, which is not obvious to the end-user!

Anyone else comment on this weird battery drain possibility?
I've only had it once in 2 weeks, but imagine if you really needed the handset in the morning! You can't wait 2-4h for a charge, eh? Really thinking aobut getting a second battery, to keep charged as a backup.

Now to try & find a 'task manager' type app for Symbian, which *fingers crossed* I can actually install, without all this certificate nonsense. (I'm new to Symbian with the i8910, y'see)

Old 16-06-2009, 04:58 PM

abadassbiker is on a distinguished road
new battery test

Hi took delivery of a new battery yesterday put it on charge it was ready by 6:40 pm pulled it off charge and used the phone for a whole day texts calls odd bit of web work etc, and guess what its just lost its top bar on the battery indicator. so 24 hours and 1 bit of battery used up.

seems that if your one of those like me that took delivery of the phone in the day charged it up then later added you .sis and . jar apps then added your contact details while you doing this your charging a slightly used battery causing it bad memory effect.

I would say try this if you can.