All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Ovi Store Games

Old 30-05-2009, 01:42 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Ovi Store app available to download from Ovi Store mobile website

Ovi Store can be accessed from almost any Nokia phone by just going to store.ovi.com on the phone's web browser, but certain phones also have an Ovi Store application available which lets you use Ovi Store much more easily. Some people have managed to find the Ovi Store application available through the Download! icon, but it now appears that you can also download the app directly from the store.ovi.com website. See the screens below for details.

Read on in the full article.

Old 30-05-2009, 03:51 AM

fbloise is on a distinguished road
only for FP2 and S60 V5

I tried to download this from a N95-3 (nam) a 6120 classic and no go.

Only the FP2 phones (N85-3 tested) and 5800xm shows that little link.
The I was exceptic and sent the "sms to a friend" from my n85 to a 6120 and when I went from the 6120 a message said that link expired.

Old 30-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Fbloise, I have a 5800 and didn't see that link until yesterday, which is why I posted the story about it. I also still don't have any Ovi Store app in my Download! section, so this link was the only way I could get the app. Whatever patterns we try to spot in the app's distribution will probably change very quickly as the app is made available to more models through more channels.

It seems that the approach Nokia's taking with the Ovi Store app is to add a few new countries and a few new models at a time, possibly to make it easier to deal with any bugs that come up.

Really this is still very much a public beta in all but name, which may be why they haven't advertised the launch much yet. They'll probably wait until the app is in a lot more phones and distribution channels before promoting the store properly.

Old 30-05-2009, 03:46 PM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
I still cannot get the Mobile Ovi Store client on any of my devices, except one with a UK sim card in it. My N95-2, and N82, both with DNA sims in cannot find OVI in "Download!", or find a download link for the app when visiting either store.ovi.com or store.ovi.mobi

Most odd.

Old 30-05-2009, 07:10 PM

Blaxx is on a distinguished road
I was able to install the app on my E71 without any issue so it's not only for FP2 devices.

Old 30-05-2009, 07:18 PM

jagga is on a distinguished road
Confirmed about E71-2 installation as well a few days ago. Like Blaxx I myself am also located in Canada.

Note: Nokia has a better arrangment with our carrier here than with AT&T in the USA. Partnership with NGage & Nokia Maps already announced back in October 2008, prior Rogers Wireless sold the N95-4 since April 2008. So there is a good chance that Rogers will allow the Ovi store on S60 phones in the future with operator billing since competition will hurt Rogers immensely.

Old 31-05-2009, 02:25 AM
Administrator

I've just managed to install and use Ovi Store on an unlocked N95 (a European N95-1) with no SIM card in it through wi-fi, by going to store.ovi.com and selecting the download link at the bottom of the front page, so the app is definitely compatible with FP1 now.

I really don't think there are any clear patterns about availability, the only way to find out if it's available for a particular phone in a particular country is to just try visiting store.ovi.com and see if there's an app installation link there (and then checking to see it works).

Nokia's plan would obviously be to make the Ovi Store app available to as many people as possible, so they're probably making the app download links go live as soon as it's working with a particular model. That would mean an ever-changing situation as more devices are cleared to get the app, which would explain why there's no obvious pattern to availability.

Old 31-05-2009, 10:46 AM

Zuber is on a distinguished road
Just installed from "Download" onthe 5800 (UK Red). Took 2 attempts.

Looks quite nice to me. Not as super smooth etc. as iPhone, but who cares...

Main thing for me is for them to add content. Especially lots of free stuff. And make a clear distinction between what is really free, what is just trialware etc.

Not played with it too much yet, but a more comprehensive filtering (catagories) would be good.

Also, I don't mind if a light version of an app is being offered as 'free' as long as it is genuinly useful. Not so crippled as to be pointless without spending.

Otherwise it should clearly be marked as Demo or something. Otherwise it is just spam and I go out of my way to make sure I find/buy an alternative product.

I find it offensive that a developer feels they can 'Con' me into wasteing my time installing their App only to find it's not really free and then actually think that I'm going to reward them by spending my money with them.

I sometimes think a special exception should be made for such software with hacked versions readily made available to offer the free functionality they 'pretended' to offer

Sorry, Rant over...

Zuber

Old 31-05-2009, 12:04 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Which apps are there labeled as free, but which really are some kind of trialware?

Note also that on the description page of each item on the Ovi Store app, there is a "Report issue" button at the bottom.

Old 31-05-2009, 03:48 PM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
If anyone else, like me, can't get the Ovi Store Mobile client for your FP1 device, I have managed to fine it. You can download it from here..

http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/down...sx-inside.html

Old 31-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Main thing for me is for them to add content. Especially lots of free stuff.
Well, Nokia aren't the ones who make the content though, it's practically all third party stuff.

I agree they could do a bit more to make life easier for freeware authors though, like giving freeware a free signing process or something like that.

Quote:
And make a clear distinction between what is really free, what is just trialware etc.
Most of the free stuff I've tried so far has been genuinely free, but I agree they need to find some way to offer the demo and the full version from the same listing. At the moment the only way publishers can offer demo versions is by having two listings for the same product.

Quote:
Not played with it too much yet, but a more comprehensive filtering (catagories) would be good.
There are categories but they're a bit difficult to find. If you go to a particular section (eg. Applications) and select Options, one of the items in the options menu is "categories". It's right near the bottom of the menu.

They ought to make this a lot more visible though as it took me a long time to notice it and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Quote:
I find it offensive that a developer feels they can 'Con' me into wasteing my time installing their App only to find it's not really free and then actually think that I'm going to reward them by spending my money with them.
I think most of the time it's just that Nokia hasn't included any way for them to offer the demo next to the full version, so they're forced to list a demo as if it's a free app.

But even so, publishers should clearly say "DEMO" or "TRIAL" in the description if it is a demo.

Old 31-05-2009, 04:42 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Ovi MegaBytes

Thank you Micky! for the link ! I consider this a lot of Megabytes : 2.9 . Next is to find out if the client works better than the WebBrowser . In the Web http://store.ovi.mobi/ , works like Nokia Mosh .
Anyway thanks again , since Download! doesn't display Ovi Store yet .

Regards jApi NL

Old 31-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Administrator

jApi NL, you don't have to use Download to get the app. As the article says, the Store app should also be available from store.ovi.com on your phone's web browser.
Ads

Old 31-05-2009, 09:09 PM

capitaine is on a distinguished road
where are these 20,000 pieces of content? Browsing through the store, I've only come across a hundred or so before I got bored with what I was seeing - a lot of mundane, not always exciting stuff. I've downloaded a few apps and stuff, but that's it. And 3 for some of the stuff I saw? Jeez. If it continues at these price points, this thing is gonna flop.