All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-05-2009, 06:16 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Software for N97

Satisfying the need to have something to do while waiting for my pre-ordered N97 to arrive, let's discuss software for the N97...

On my Nokia 9300 I have some applications that I rely upon heavily and for which I'd like to have N97 counterparts:

1. Passwords (by Ian Chapple) - I have 170+ usernames/passwords on different systems (I tend to use a different password everywhere). This application provides high-level of encryption for them.

2. EasyCrypt - encrypts files and/or directories for secure emailing.

3. Smallbase - multi-purpose relational database that basically substitutes for notes in my Dayrunner. Also supports encrypted databases.

4. Picsel Viewer - view very large images (like maps) and pdf files.

5. MobiReader - my favorite e-reader application. According to Mobipocket they say that Symbian 60 rel 5 has to use their beta J2ME application. Any feedback on its functionality?

6. TomeRaider - handles very large documents like a local copy of Wikipedia (without pictures). Nothing beats carrying an encyclopedia in your pocket!

7. AED (Advanced English Dictionary) - I expect I shouldn't have a problem finding one for the N97, but I chose this one after extensively evaluating many others for functionality and completeness.

8. SmartMovie - it supports the DivX codec and has a PC-based converter which provides very high quality conversions with no aspect ratio distortion. I have not seen any reviews of the N97 built-in media player to know supported codecs.

9. SBASIC - write programs in Symbian Basic language. I hear that since S60r5 is "closed" that the hopes for being able to write your own programs is limited to J2ME code using the SDK from Nokia.

10. PDFPrinter - a printer drive that allows you to save in pdf format. A *MUST* if you do any work on your handheld (which I do!).

Any suggestions for replacements for the about in the S60r5 domain?

Old 24-05-2009, 07:14 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
That's a good idea rdcinhou. I've been hunting around for an official UK release date for the phone since I pre-ordered it yesterday, I need to focus on something else.

Am I right in thinking that the 5800 and N97 both have the same Symbian OS, so the same software would work on both of them? If so, maybe looking at existing 5800 software might lead you to find programs that'll do everything your current software does.

Non-Nokia software I tend to use on my N95 are as follows:

1) QuickOffice - It's been extremely useful for me and an N97 version would be fantastic! There's a QuickOffice viewer for the 5800 but I don't know if they've released an editor yet.

2) MoneyLite - I use this to help me keep on track of my expenses. I've love an N97 version.

3) Y-Browser - Thankfully, there's a version for the 5800

4) Profile Scheduler - Dr Yukka has done it again and has a version that supports v5 devices.

5) Shazam ID - Sadly there isn't a v5 version out yet.

I hope the missing apps from this list get sorted out soon.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open
Ads

Old 24-05-2009, 09:12 PM

Hooksym is on a distinguished road
No Quickoffice for S60 5th Edition yet, only the viewers. I use Mobisystems Office which is quite nice, but I haven't used Quickffice, so I can't compare.

Software development for S60v5 seems to have been slow, but I am hoping it will pick up with the release of the N97 and the OVI store.

Right now, there are a lot of things that were avaiable for S60v3 tha are not available for v5.

Old 24-05-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooksym View Post
Right now, there are a lot of things that were avaiable for S60v3 tha are not available for v5.
Yeah, if only there were some sort of backwards compatibility. Maybe someone could write an app that does that

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 24-05-2009, 11:36 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Any app for the 5800 works on the n97.

Old 28-05-2009, 05:58 AM

malbry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
2) MoneyLite - I use this to help me keep on track of my expenses. I've love an N97 version.
Is this from FlyingBird software? If so, there's a version for S60 5th edition. It crashes my 5800 but your mileage may vary. Alternatively there's my own personal finance software JabpLite which is freeware from www.freepoc.org. That definitely works, because I'm using it myself :-)

Best regards,
Malcolm

Old 21-06-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbry View Post
Is this from FlyingBird software? If so, there's a version for S60 5th edition. It crashes my 5800 but your mileage may vary. Alternatively there's my own personal finance software JabpLite which is freeware from www.freepoc.org. That definitely works, because I'm using it myself :-)

Best regards,
Malcolm
Sorry for not replying sooner. Yes it's by them. I can see there is now a money manager for S60 5th edition, but it's not the free version, called "MoneyLite".

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 21-06-2009, 10:09 PM

I really don't think you should state that all S60 3rd edition software, or anything written specifically for the 5800 will work perfectly on the N97.

Before I spend US$15-$45 for a program, I would like to know that ALL of the features are going to work properly on the N97.

I would like this thread to capture ACTUAL observations of performance and not generalizations.

Old 21-06-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
I really don't think you should state that all S60 3rd edition software, or anything written specifically for the 5800 will work perfectly on the N97.
As far as I can tell, no one here has said S60 3rd Ed software will work on the N97. I can understand how some 5800 software might not work the same on N97 though.

Quote:
Before I spend US$15-$45 for a program, I would like to know that ALL of the features are going to work properly on the N97.
Agreed

Quote:
I would like this thread to capture ACTUAL observations of performance and not generalizations.
Now that I've finally got round to installing applications on my N97, I can report that I've had no problems with the following 5800 software/themes so far:

Dr Jukka Y-Browser
Dr Jukka Profile Scheduler (Had to get it signed first, mind)
Lightsabre
Best Screensnap
nUnlock (Unlock phone like the iPhone. Just using the trial; I'm not paying for the full thing)
PiZero Blue Haze Lite theme

These were all free anyway so I wouldn't be out of pocket if I found they didn't work properly. The Blue Haze theme is really good though. It makes the slider bar down the right hand side thicker so it's easier to use.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 22-06-2009, 12:32 AM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
There is a Shazam ID out for the 5800/N97 now.

Old 22-06-2009, 12:40 AM

I just checked their website and the 5800 and N97 are not listed in the compatibility page:

http://www.shazam.com/music/web/pages/shazamid.html

Old 22-06-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I just checked their website and the 5800 and N97 are not listed in the compatibility page:

http://www.shazam.com/music/web/pages/shazamid.html
http://dailymobile.se/2009/06/02/sha...kia-n97-s60v5/

I've installed it on the girlfriends 5800. works just fine.

(apparently it's 4 on the OVI Store but i can't find it on there so click here)

here are some user/pass for that site.

actually, i can't even find it on the OVI Store, so just download it from that link anyway.

Last edited by munkiii; 22-06-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Old 22-06-2009, 09:06 AM

Is it wise to post something like that here?

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 22-06-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
Is it wise to post something like that here?
I don't quite know, but seeing as it's not on the OVI Store, and i can't find anywhere to actually buy the Shazam app, i'd think that it's free software?

Old 22-06-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkiii View Post
I don't quite know, but seeing as it's not on the OVI Store, and i can't find anywhere to actually buy the Shazam app, i'd think that it's free software?
Well, ok. It's just that, as far as I know, you normally have to pay for it. I've just looked at their site and it suggests that S60 devices have to pay (by mentioning a free 30-day trial). It costs for the iPhone too, and there's a paid version for Blackberry... but there is also a free one for Blackberry and it's free on Android devices too... so it's hard to call.

Another question, and I only ask because I'm curious: why not register to that site with your own details instead of using someone elses?

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk