All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-02-2003, 05:14 PM

Yazmon is on a distinguished road
7650 and Bluetooth with a 'Gigabyte' USB dongle (w\ Widcomm)

Arg.

Just bought a couple of Gigabyte USB dongles, which comes with Widcomm's stack. (v1.2.2.29) I installed that, and could see the phone, connect to the FAX and the Dialup, but NOT the serial port. (necessary for Nokia's software) Problem.

So I searched the internet and found this : http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3075&highlight=bluetooth

Which sudjests changing a setting in the registry. (AllowAny) Now my version of Widcomms stack didnt have this feature, so I downloaded the version on the thread and upgraded. Patched the .inf file with what I had in my original wcmusb.inf so WinNT2k would recognise it. Great so Im now on the latest version, and it does indead have the registry key. So I change all instances in the registry, reboot. Nothing. I can see the phone, but I can no longer connect to the Fax or Dialup, let alone the serial port. (the software now says it connects on COM0 (!) but then immedialty says the phone has disconnected. (Which doesnt seem right as the phone still says its connected.)

So does anyone have any ideas? No matter what I cannot seem to get the virtual serial ports working. Is it possible its a firmware issue? (how do I check why firmware I am using)

Any one have any ideas? I cant belive how bad this is working out. How can people release software \ hardware which blatently doesnt work! Arg!
Ads

Old 28-02-2003, 05:28 PM

Yazmon is on a distinguished road
Heh, ok figured out how to check my firmware ( *#0000# ) and it says

v3.16
15-08-022
NHL-2NA

Nothigns mentioned about Bluetooth in the later versions in the FAQ

Old 28-02-2003, 09:19 PM

petran is on a distinguished road
I believe it is expected to say it is disconnected after it connects (read this in the documnetation). But it actually stays connected. I have the same dongle, it displays the same message but it does stay connected. The phone displays the connection icon and on the windows tray area the icon turns green (which means it is connected).

Old 28-02-2003, 09:34 PM

MemphisX is on a distinguished road
It must be an incombatibility between the widcom drivers and the Symbian OS. The PC tries to establish a serial connection with the phone but the phone denies it. then the phone immediately tries the same thing and the computer accepts it. So you get the error message about the not connected but in the same time the phone makes a connection.
I think it is more related with the symbian OS because P800 users have the same problems...

In other words (as petran said) You may get this error message but the phone is connected.

Not everyone is meant to make a difference.
But for me the choice to live an ordinary life is no longer an option.

If there was no GOD it would be neccessary to invent him.