I'm waiting for my new Nokia 5800 XM to be shipped and I am starting to look for software. I will spend awhile just using and learning the stock software and, in many cases, it may be good enough. But I find software I think I would like, I will post links here, partly to help other folks new to the 5800, but also so wiser folks can say "Oh, no, you don't want to put THAT on a 5800."
My main concern is how do I know the software is compatible with the Nokia 5800 XM with Symbian S60 5.0? Can I assume that if it is compatible for 3.0, it is ok for 5.0? Does software that has not been adapted for the touchscreen stll work ok? Or should I not trust anything that doesn't explicitly say compatible with the 5800/ S60 5.0? Any help with this version compatiblity stuff would be greatly appreciated.
Here are the categories of apps I will be looking for (in no particular order). Any suggestions are welcome. Freeware or payware, doesn't matter. If the program is good, I'm more than happy to pay for it.
1. PIMS. This is probably taken care of, my needs are not very complex. I would like to sync with Outlook, though if there is a good alternative I will consider it. Coming from a Palm, I will be interested in Pimlico Java version of Datebk6, Pimlical, if it is ever adapted for Symbian.
2. Password keeper. I use SplashID. There is a Symbian version, but it doesn't work with the touchscreen interface of the 5800. I have requested they make a compatible version. I may just wait and see if they do. Whatever I get to replace it, I would like a desktop component as well, if possible.
3. Office applications. Right now I'm assuming Quick Office, but would be openn to other suggestions.
4. Music. One might assume on a phone called XpressMusic, what it has on it will be sufficient, but one never knows. Playback is not hard, but I do want plenty of control: playlists, equalizer, screen off while playing as an option, crossfade would be nice, shuffle. Being able to work with a desktop music library and management tool like iTunes would b nice (I love iTunes even though I haven't ever owned an iPod and I don't buy from the iTunes store). However, any other desktop is fine. I will not use Real Player.
5. Video. I would like to encode my own video from DVD and have it play back in landscape mode on my 5800.
6. Good utilities to make life easier and get the most out of the device. This can be and edless category, but the most important functions are file manger and backup program.
7. eBooks. Are there any good ebook programs for the 5800. I don't know if ereader for Symbian works on the 5800. If it did, I would be very happy.
That's good for starters. Feel free to suggest other categories.