All About N-Gage - Next Generation Ready

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > N-Gage Next Generation

Old 26-03-2009, 02:02 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
5000 N-Gage game activation codes being given away on Need For Speed website

If you go to the official Need For Speed Undercover N-Gage site, you'll see a competition section labelled "coming soon". Try clicking on the words "coming soon", and you'll see a contest which tells you how to get free activation codes for Pro Series Golf, Mile High Pinball or Reset Generation. According to the n-gage.com NFSU game page, the code you require is NE3D 4 5P33D, though the prank form says NE3D 4 S433D. (via mavilacivert on the Arena forums)

Read on in the full article.

Old 26-03-2009, 04:33 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
Hey Tzer2,

Thank you. I got it!!

Old 26-03-2009, 05:36 AM

avithe1 is on a distinguished road
Clicking on the "Penalty charge Notice" does the same

+Cheers

Old 26-03-2009, 06:43 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
Im confused, or not had enough coffee this morning, but I have completed the steps above, but can't find where my activation code is, or how to find it exactly, for example, where to put that code even that you mention.

Need more coffeed me thinks.

Old 26-03-2009, 08:47 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
The N-Gage game activation code can be entered manually in the dialog that pops up when you run the game, and the game asks you to continue the trial (if possible), buy a license or enter the activation code. Same way for every N-Gage game (not just Need for Speed).

Old 26-03-2009, 09:01 AM

barakrl is on a distinguished road
well, after the prank form, you should go to the competition again, and iy will ask you for the secret code.
enter NE3D 4 5P33D and that's it.

I'm checking the activation code I got right now...

--- update ---

it's working. activated Golf Pro.
I just wish they gave activation codes for NFS and not to old games I already have.

Last edited by barakrl; 26-03-2009 at 09:06 AM.

Old 26-03-2009, 09:16 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
itslooking for an 8 letter code.

cant see anything with 8!

:(

Old 26-03-2009, 09:51 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
I got it eventually. Thanks

Old 26-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator

It sounds like they've designed this rather poorly as so many people are failing to get the code...

Anyway, it does work for at least some people so I thought it was better to newspost about this offer than not. :-)

Old 26-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The whole system sucks. Even after going through hoops, I ended up typing my 'activation code' into one of the supported games and was told 'IMEI error'. Tried it twice.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: DRM sucks. The only software I now use is freeware or items so cheap that it's not a big deal (e.g. 3 or under) if I have to buy it again later. I just haven't got the patience to be dealing with expensive software items that require tortuous DRM-laden installs and activations, over and over again. And again. Life's too short.

Old 26-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I just haven't got the patience to be dealing with expensive software items that require tortuous DRM-laden installs and activations
Erm... this is a free game giveaway! Not expensive... :-)

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: DRM sucks.
It's the content publishers who want DRM, they're the ones you'd have to convince to give it up. Hardware manufacturers would love to give up DRM, it would make their life much easier and their products much more flexible and popular, but publishers generally refuse to give up DRM, especially on software.

If you look on the Ovi Publisher forum, it's full of publishers wanting to know what kind of DRM their content will be protected by.

And looking at it from their point of view, it IS deeply offensive when someone else steals your content and distributes it to others without permission. Even worse is when the thief passes it off as their own.

I did an article for AAS a couple of years back which was basically stolen by another major site, in fact it was a much larger very mainstream site which I'm not going to name, but you would know the name if I did say it. (I think it was you who brought it to my attention Steve?) Anyway, it was really annoying! I'd done all that work researching and writing the piece, I think it was something like 2000 or 3000 words, and this other site basically copied it, slightly rephrased a few bits and published it without any kind of credit or link to me. I tried contacting the supposed "author" of the piece but they refused to return my e-mails.

Thankfully the other site's editor agreed to remove it when I contacted them, but how easy is it usually to remove pirated content from the internet?

It was partly because of that incident, and a few others, that I ended up watermarking all my personal site's image and video content because I didn't want this to happen again. Before I watermarked people used to just use my images anywhere, in one case I saw them on Wikipedia labelled as public domain!

I'm not saying that makes DRM the answer, but equally some way has to be found to reassure content makers that their content-making effort isn't going to be for nothing. If you put a lot of effort into making something, there ought to be some kind of respect shown for that effort. At the very least there ought to be a means to trace the content's creator, to stop other people claiming credit for something they didn't do.

Old 26-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
'Free' - well, yes, in theory - except it didn't work for me (see above). So it wasn't free after all. I've already paid with my own money for Pro Series Golf on an older device, I had terrible hassle trying to bring the game with me onto the next phone and even here, with a 'free' code I couldn't get it working 8-(

You miss my point about DRM. If apps were priced at iPhone levels (e.g. $1, $2, $3) then there'd be no need for DRM whatsoever, as most users would find it more convenient to simply buy the app rather than fiddle around trying to pirate a copy. And, in my situation, I wouldn't contemplate going through a five stage process to try and get Nokia to change my reg code over for a new device - at, say $3 (2) I'd simply take the hit, i.e. buy it again and move on with my life.

At those price levels, i just don't believe piracy would be such an issue....

Old 26-03-2009, 02:58 PM

fyatwyrio is on a distinguished road
I think it has been taken down. The 'Coming Soon' link no longer works. Too bad as all I could get from it before it went down was an 'undefined' message.

Old 26-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
'Free' - well, yes, in theory - except it didn't work for me (see above). So it wasn't free after all.
Well you didn't pay anything for this particular code... surely that means it's free? :-)

Quote:
If apps were priced at iPhone levels (e.g. $1, $2, $3) then there'd be no need for DRM whatsoever, as most users would find it more convenient to simply buy the app rather than fiddle around trying to pirate a copy.
Totally agree that low pricing with high volumes would make more sense, not just for fighting piracy but for encouraging impulse purchases. But pricing too is ultimately in the hands the content publishers and they don't seem to understand this argument at all.

Actually, this topic is very interesting in general. It's absolutely amazing to read publisher forums and user forums and see the total "disconnect" caused by pricing and rights issues. Publishers and users seem totally unaware of each other's needs.

For example, I'm VERY much in favour of payments through phone bills, because they mean anyone can buy stuff at the touch of a button on their mobile. Even people without a credit card (such as myself) can use phone bill payments to buy apps, and they don't have to enter any kind of codes or registration numbers to do so. It's as easy to pay by phone bill as it is to make a call or send a text message.

You would think therefore that phone bill payments would be a good thing for app stores, because they would make it as easy as possible to pay for legitimate content. But if you read mobile publisher forums, they're very much against phone bill payments because it reduces their share of the price, as the phone networks take a higher cut than credit card companies. All they see is the bottom line, they don't see the higher volume, they don't see the bigger picture.

Some of the publishers on the Ovi Publisher forum want Nokia to give them the option of forcing people to pay through credit cards, which means a lot of people (including me!) wouldn't be able to buy their apps at all! They're effectively saying that only people with credit cards can buy their apps, which would exclude the vast majority of people who own a mobile phone. It's just insane. Thank goodness Nokia is offering phone bill payments anyway, at least in selected countries.

Would text messaging have taken off if people had to register a credit card to use the service? Almost certainly not. People are willing to pay for text messages, but only because it's SO easy to pay for them.
Ads

Old 26-03-2009, 07:31 PM

wampyre is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
'Free' - well, yes, in theory - except it didn't work for me (see above). So it wasn't free after all. I've already paid with my own money for Pro Series Golf on an older device, I had terrible hassle trying to bring the game with me onto the next phone and even here, with a 'free' code I couldn't get it working 8-(

You miss my point about DRM. If apps were priced at iPhone levels (e.g. $1, $2, $3) then there'd be no need for DRM whatsoever, as most users would find it more convenient to simply buy the app rather than fiddle around trying to pirate a copy. And, in my situation, I wouldn't contemplate going through a five stage process to try and get Nokia to change my reg code over for a new device - at, say $3 (2) I'd simply take the hit, i.e. buy it again and move on with my life.

At those price levels, i just don't believe piracy would be such an issue....
Wow, Mr. Steve it seems like you get it totally.
I had major issues with some of Psiloc's products and contacted them, the only thing they did was to advice med to install their product on my phone memory. I had previously installed it unto the memory card which got corrupted. I tried as they said but still it didn't work. It ended with my phone having to be formatted and I was left to square one.
Guess what now I have a mix of those applications I purchased and some other I've found.

And the price really is an issue, not all people who buys a smartphone are rich. Many like myself bought it out of interest and to enhance our devices with software costs a lot.

The same goes for N-gage games, one of the reasons I've tried "modified" games. Or I simply wait for the games to drop in price before buying + Read the reviews here on the site to see if a game really is worth buying.

Unfortunately I don't believe that software for Symbian phones will drop in price.
1. Symbian Signed cost a lot of money and the developers need to get that money back + getting payed for their work.
2. Symbian softwares are a bit more complexed than iPhone apps as there's probably more calls to the API,
while there is a smaller set for the iPhone where there are no real multitasking

1. I believe is about to change? I haven't read anything about this but I know that the Symbian Foundation is going to release
it's own OS.
2. Despite that it some products could be lowered dramatically when it comes to pricing.

Last edited by wampyre; 26-03-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Came with some more thoughts