All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia and Mac - working beautifully? - an update!

In a follow up to my popular series, from August 2008, investigating the practicalities of a S60 smartphone owner switching to an Apple Mac as the desktop counterpart, I report back after a couple of months of living the Mac life for real. What improvements have their been to the software available and does using a Mac and OS X now offer a more seamless smartphone experience than a PC and Windows?

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 25-03-2009, 09:27 AM

mattrad is on a distinguished road
Here's a little tip I can offer from my own days of getting Nokias to work with Macs. Make transferring .sis files a little easier via Bluetooth by:

1) Any old .sis file --> Get Info
2) Change "Open with:" to "Bluetooth File Exchange"
3) Enable this change for all .sis files

Now when you double-click a .sis, Bluetooth File Exchange will open automatically, ready to send the file.

Cheers
Matt

Old 25-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Nokia and Mac

I use every day Mac and Nokia (N95). I have no problems synching by Apple iSync and the nokia plugin works very well. Using Nokia Multimedia Transfer make your phone "like" iPod and synch foto (directly in iPhoto), video (iTunes and iPhoto), music (iTunes), Podcast (iTunes), Bookmarks (Safari), ecc. Hey, like iPod I not mean it's an iPod. iPod (and iPhone) it's another beast. Now Nokia release also Maps Uploader for Mac.
So, what's missing? You can't update your phone firmware and there's not Nokia PC Suite for Mac but I think integration with Apple Multimedia suite works very well so I don't care about it, further I absolutely don't want to use other different photo and music software only for the phone things while usually I use superb iPhoto and iTunes.
When I need to update my N95 I start Windows in Parallels (you can choose VMWare or the free VirtualBox) and launch windows version of Nokia software update and if you like Nokia PC Suite you can use it.

Old 25-03-2009, 10:08 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
@mattard

@mattard,

hey, I have a mac and Nokia N82. Tomorrow N86 comes along and I decide to change my phone. How do I save my installed apps on N82 to the Mac and then re-install them to my new phone?

Old 25-03-2009, 12:19 PM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
@ashu,

Not 100% what you mean about transfering the applications but if they are installed on the memory card then you can just take the card out of the N82 and put it in the N86 and the apps will be on the new phone. If they are installed on the phone directly, you will need to install them again. There is no PC Suite kind of app for the Mac. You do have the option to install Windows on your Mac if it is Intel based, or you can go another route with a PPC based Mac.

In short, there is no way that I know of to back up your apps from your phone to Mac OS X.

Old 25-03-2009, 12:33 PM

Hey Steve,

Have you looked at the following apps for Mac:

1. Bluephone Elite. (Best sms, call managment app for Mac OS X to date).
2. Salling Clicker. (Allows you to control your Mac from your phone).
3. Novamedia apps. (iSync plugins, Launch2Net tethering application)

These three apps are usually must have apps for the Mac.

Old 25-03-2009, 02:36 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
re iMovie09.

I wonder when you switched...could this be the reason why I can no longer watch your 'phones show' on my E71?? It worked just fine on previous shows, but not this very latest one...

Old 25-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Unregistered

I didn't know that with PC Suite you could save all your installed apps on one phone and restore them in another. How does that work with:
- Different internal memory size of the two phones?
- Different versions of S60 (e.g. the accelerometer API has changed between FP1 and FP2)?
- Commercial software, which is typically licensed to a specific IMEI #?

Old 26-03-2009, 06:39 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
@sapporobaby,

Thank you. Thats provides the comfort

@davidmaxwaterma,

I still get his shows in my podcasts and am able to download them also. Have made no changes whatsoever in my settings.

Old 26-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
@david: You're probably subscribed to the VGA version, which is Waaayyyy overkill for the E71, which can't keep up. Try the QVGA version instead? Or watch it in the YouTube mobile app? Oh, hang on, the E71 can't quite run that fast enough either 8-(((

Old 26-03-2009, 07:50 AM

You can also use the Swither application on your phone to treansfer data from one phone to another. It works as advertised.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:54 PM
deefree

Nokia N95 to new iMac

I'm trying to transfer video and photos from my N95 to the iMac. The video and photos from the memory card were recognized and transferred to iPhoto quickly, but for some reason, there are photos and video on the phone memory that are not getting transferred or even "seen" by the computer. what gives?