All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-03-2009, 04:55 PM

kits is on a distinguished road
Icons to identify contact number type

I just got N85 and I am already scratching my head for not being able to do some basic features found on almost all other phones.

For a contact I have usually 3 numbers. Home, Work, Cell. For cell I am able to get the 'cellphone' icon but for Home and Work all I see is a green phone icon. Doesn't it have a 'Home' icon for Home and 'buildings or factory' icon for Office?

I am so dependent on these icons when I dial from call logs. Because of the lack of different icons I can't figure which is Home or Office from logs. In fact, all icons in logs show up with same cell phone icon which is plain dumb for a smartphone. I have to open the contacts to dial to that person again. Talking about this another irritating feature I see lacking is from 'call log' I don't see an option to view more details about that contact so I can dial to another number he has. This is the second most frustrating feature I don't see in Nseries.

Are those features not there or am I doing something wrong to not able to see them? Thanks.

Last edited by kits; 19-03-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Old 19-03-2009, 10:41 PM

car_guy143 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kits View Post
I just got N85 and I am already scratching my head for not being able to do some basic features found on almost all other phones.

For a contact I have usually 3 numbers. Home, Work, Cell. For cell I am able to get the 'cellphone' icon but for Home and Work all I see is a green phone icon. Doesn't it have a 'Home' icon for Home and 'buildings or factory' icon for Office?

I am so dependent on these icons when I dial from call logs. Because of the lack of different icons I can't figure which is Home or Office from logs. In fact, all icons in logs show up with same cell phone icon which is plain dumb for a smartphone. I have to open the contacts to dial to that person again. Talking about this another irritating feature I see lacking is from 'call log' I don't see an option to view more details about that contact so I can dial to another number he has. This is the second most frustrating feature I don't see in Nseries.

Are those features not there or am I doing something wrong to not able to see them? Thanks.
You're not doing anything wrong. The phone log you're talking about is a firmware issue where all numbers show up with the cellphone icon. It is really confusing as i can't remember whether i called, say "Dave" on his cellphone or landline and this means i have to redial his number from the phonebook in order to make sure i am calling him on the correct number.

For this and other quality n85 firmware bugs please see http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discu...read.id=119105 thanks

Old 20-03-2009, 01:40 AM

kits is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the information. I am returning this otherwise cool phone. I wish I knew before so I didn't waste my time. I heard even the Nokia 5800 has the same problem. I am getting one of these as well but might return as I just can't take something that bothers me every single time I use the phone as I do most of my dialing from call logs.

I am surprised people are buying N series phones like crazy even with a basic problem like this which is VERY easy for Nokia to fix and they haven't fixed it for years from what I read on the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy143 View Post
You're not doing anything wrong. The phone log you're talking about is a firmware issue where all numbers show up with the cellphone icon. It is really confusing as i can't remember whether i called, say "Dave" on his cellphone or landline and this means i have to redial his number from the phonebook in order to make sure i am calling him on the correct number.

For this and other quality n85 firmware bugs please see http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discu...read.id=119105 thanks

Old 21-03-2009, 12:47 PM

mrochester is on a distinguished road
Just so you know, this isn't a fault or a problem, it's the way the software has been designed. When the icon is a mobile it means you missed a network call. The icon would be different if you missed a voip call. The icon isn't there to tell you which type of number you missed.
Ads