All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-03-2009, 06:13 PM

amitkumar.india is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Lost some of the preinstalled softwares after factory restore

My N85 was giving me some problems so I took a backup of my contacts on ovi and restored the phone to the factory settings (using *#7370#). After that I found that some of the preinstalled softwares like oxford dictionary, mobiola screen capture etc. had vanished. I was expecting that a factory restore would restore all the applications which came with the phone :-(. Now I am unable to restore these apps. The CD which came with my phone didn't have these softwares nor did the nokia site. I do not have the backup nbu file. I talked to the Nokia care guy on phone and he said that it may not be possible to restore them.
I just loved the oxford dictionary on my phone :-(. Would I need to purchase this from oxford's site?
Could someone please suggest how can I restore my preinstalled softwares back?

Thanks in advance,
Amit

Old 16-03-2009, 06:46 AM

cricfancy is on a distinguished road
Hi Amit,

Since you have did factory restore settings on your phone, its not possible to get back those software application on your phone, you have to get it again :(

Old 16-03-2009, 03:23 PM

Thanks cricfancy.
I had not installed these application separately. They were already on my mobile phone so I am not sure why factory restore removed these.

Old 16-03-2009, 07:22 PM

car_guy143 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkumar.india View Post
Thanks cricfancy.
I had not installed these application separately. They were already on my mobile phone so I am not sure why factory restore removed these.
Certain applications are installed after the firmware was installed on your phone, before shipping. For example, BBC iPlayer comes on the UK n85, but doesn't come on the European versions as iPlayer is only available in the UK. The UK and European phones can have the same product code in some cases though.

Just re download the applications to your phone and you'll be fine. If you do a backup before a format, the applications will be reinstalled when you restore the backup.

Old 20-03-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy143 View Post
Certain applications are installed after the firmware was installed on your phone, before shipping.
Yes I learned this the hard way. I think I have permanently lost those bundled commercial application. I can't just download them because they are paid apps, not free. I went to the Nokia care center and argued with the engineer there but he couldn't provide any help.

This wasn't a very good experience but on a positive side at least I didn't loose QuickOffice, Photos, Adobe reader, Notes, Real player, Camera app and the web browser.

Old 26-03-2009, 07:44 AM

VSG12777 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkumar.india View Post
Yes I learned this the hard way. I think I have permanently lost those bundled commercial application. I can't just download them because they are paid apps, not free. I went to the Nokia care center and argued with the engineer there but he couldn't provide any help.

This wasn't a very good experience but on a positive side at least I didn't loose QuickOffice, Photos, Adobe reader, Notes, Real player, Camera app and the web browser.

Hi Amit

Sorry to know you've lost many of your preinstalled applications on your new N85. Using the 7370 is a hard reset and pretty much wipes out everything, including the keys for your preinstalled videos, mp3s, etc. I live in Chennai and own an N96 purchased in October 2008.

It's a big lesson learnt and please make sure you come to this forum to find out what the particular code would really do to the phone before going ahead.

I would like to mention here, that all those preinstalled things CAN be restored, but only at a Nokia Care centre. They would have the original what should I say, "images" of the various models. So just backup your contacts, messages, photos and videos, delete them and then deal with the Nokia Care centre to restore the entire image on the phone, which would make it brand new, like when you bought it from the shop.

One of my friends had this done for his N96 too, since he had wiped out many of the apps by using *#7370#. So I would suggest that you try this. If you are unable to convince the Nokia Care people on this, try going through the showroom where you bought the phone and direct it to the Nokia Care guys.

Point is, this CAN be done. It's not impossible like the Nokia guys are telling you. Hope that helps. Best of luck and please do keep us posted on how it goes.

Warm regards,
Venkat

Old 16-04-2009, 06:21 AM

rakholali is on a distinguished road
reply to and i will send u the oxford dictionary with activation key.