All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 17-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia to integrate Skype into S60 Contacts

Nokia and Skype have announced plans to fully integrate Skype into selected Nokia devices. Kicking off with the Nokia N97, Skype will be part of Contacts, enabling users to easily see when their Skype contacts are online, to call and to chat using a data connection. Other selected Nseries devices are also likely to come with integrated Skype functionality, through initial inclusion and through firmware upgrades.

Read on in the full article.

Old 17-02-2009, 12:47 PM

dougalzene is on a distinguished road
Good news, I hope. I haven't been able to make a reliable skype voice call using fring or nimbuzz. the fring test call always works fine.

Old 17-02-2009, 12:54 PM

fernando20 is on a distinguished road
I don't see a mention of skype out... that worries me.

Old 17-02-2009, 01:14 PM

TomJ is on a distinguished road
I hope the client becomes available for existing S60 3.x phones...

Old 17-02-2009, 01:22 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Will they be keeping native SIP? Last I heard you couldn't do native SIP on an N85 without a lot of faffing about. If that's the strategy, it's another reason to hang on to an N95.

Old 17-02-2009, 01:32 PM

Bosambo is on a distinguished road
All well and good...

...until our providers block the ports that let this work. T-Mobile UK is still blocking me from logging into N-Gage Arena.

Old 17-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...until our providers block the ports that let this work. T-Mobile UK is still blocking me from logging into N-Gage Arena.
They can't block you logging on through wi-fi.

Old 17-02-2009, 03:22 PM

Bosambo is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I could always do stuff over Wi-Fi, but that usually means I'm indoors and in reach of an actual PC, defeating the purpose of a mobile device. Anyone know of a service provider who isn't as evil as T-mobile?

Old 17-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Unregistered

Skype Into 5800 and E Series

Is there any mention that this will get added to Nokia 5800 Xpress as should have no problem working via a firmware upgrade, also E series such as 61i etc should be able to handle this

Any ideas ?

Old 17-02-2009, 04:08 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Why would you want Skype on an E61 device when you already (presumably) have a SIP client? Honestly, I don't understand why everybody seems to view this announcement as good news. Skype is a proprietary P2P PoS and any client is likely to be super-bloatware. I suspect that Nokia are getting into bed with them simply because everybody knows the name. The native SIP client is a far better idea but Nokia seem to be letting that slide in everything except the E-series.

Old 17-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins View Post
Why would you want Skype on an E61 device when you already (presumably) have a SIP client? Honestly, I don't understand why everybody seems to view this announcement as good news. Skype is a proprietary P2P PoS and any client is likely to be super-bloatware. I suspect that Nokia are getting into bed with them simply because everybody knows the name. The native SIP client is a far better idea but Nokia seem to be letting that slide in everything except the E-series.
Because if it ends up integrated well into contacts, I like the idea of being able to see if they are online or not. If so, I'll ring them via skype and save my free minutes.

The current client for S60 blows, in fact it's not even proper VOIP since it redirects to a number you have to pay for.

As for SIP, does that properly work with Skype contacts? I admit I haven't tried it.
Ads

Old 17-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins
it makes sense to have a Skype client on the non E-series phones, since these phones are generally marketed towards the consumer. why would a consumer want to have to mess around with configuring a SIP client? Skype, while being proprietary, is a method that works. as for having the Skype client installed on an E-series phone...some of us actually use Skype on a regular basis. Lets not forget that Skype is one of the most used methods to communicate by voice over the internet. So what if they're "getting into bed" with them because everyone knows their name? Fact of the matter is that Skype is a good way to keep in touch with people. I use it on a daily basis to keep in touch with my fiancee who lives in the US. without it, we just simply would not be able to communicate without outrageous call charges.

Old 17-02-2009, 09:29 PM
jcompagner

are we really getting skype to skype calls over data?
Until now skype itself doesnt even give us that for S60. I think only fring does it?

And would we also get build in chat? Because i almost never use skype for calls 99% of the time it is just text chat.

Old 17-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, I could always do stuff over Wi-Fi, but that usually means I'm indoors and in reach of an actual PC, defeating the purpose of a mobile device
Obviously I can't speak for you, but I do actually find Skype over wi-fi to be very useful on mobile devices.

I've got a Nokia N810 internet tablet which has a built-in official Skype client, and it is very handy to talk on around the house. For example I can leave it in standby mode for days at a time between charges while logged in, which lets people call me even when my PC is switched off.

It's also nice to be able to take calls in any room, or even at other people's houses through their routers. I stayed in a hotel recently with free wifi access and was able to use my tablet's Skype client there, which saved me money in phone calls.

Old 18-02-2009, 12:58 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Yahoo! voice Messenger

When will they integrate the Yahoo! Voice messenger? Its more popular in many countries. Anyway its nice move by Nokia & Skype & hope we see more services & applications from major services 'like the Facebook application' in the future.