All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 PM

Huschke is on a distinguished road
I updated my 5800 blue useing OTA. UDP worked flawlessly. All my contacts, messages, etc. were still available after the update.
So much for the good news. The bad news is that nearly all of my self installed apps crashed or failed to work at some point. I tried getting rid of my issues by doing a soft reset. At first it seemed to work fine, but after a while the strangest things started happening. My alarm clock reminder froze by the time I snoozed my alarm, my phone required me to set date and time every time I turned it on, etc.
Finally I decided to hard reset my phone, which suprisingly made it even worse.

After hours of fiddling, formating the memory card and another hard reset I finally got my phone working again.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:23 PM

bluppfisk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuclark View Post
For those of you having the lock code issue (this worked for me, but is not an official fix) - try re-flashing your phone using NSU. I did this and the update correctly reset my lock code to 12345
Hero! This does indeed fix my problem - even keeping my files. For whatever that's worth because the System error upon trying "search" still necessitates a hard reset, but hey

Thanks!

More new functions for your list:

+ "use secondary camera" option in camera's menu, probably to use the front-side camera
+ multimedia bar is now skinnable
+ the theme effects are much more supple now. Menus don't flicker after opening any more. Still slowing the phone down though.
+ Skype now does not crash after opening (still not running fine though)
+ file browser is much faster
+ I can now connect to my own WLAN (before I could only use the neighbours' WLAN, even though it would see my own WLAN)
+ touchscreen is less sensitive, a little too insensitive tbh. There should be a way to adjust this.

? less interrupted connections when using the native browser over WLAN (might not be true)

Old 09-02-2009, 11:50 PM

Heh. so now it asks me for a password for my memory card? I don't know it, I never set one?

Old 10-02-2009, 12:22 AM

samhill is on a distinguished road
i hope this helps, how i solve my 5800 v20 problems

Hi all,

new to this forum thing but some stuff hear helped me so... wat goes around comes around .

Anywho i installed the v20 update and i had a few problems.

1. Asked me for my unlock code, i typed my one in but it would not accept it.

2. The search feature in home menu was giving me an error message when i tried to access it.

3. I didn't have the app.update thing or the dictionary applications.

To resolve (for me anyway!!!)

1. reinstall the update
2. hard reset your phone using *#7370*

What happened.

1. my unlock code reset to 12345
2. all updated stuff listed appeared and works
3. the search feature works.

I hope this helps and works for you guys.
Ads

Old 10-02-2009, 08:41 AM

Peter Galbavy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuclark View Post
- Blasted "screen randomly changing hue" bug is back. I saw this in V10 but it was ok in V11. What happens is the buttons, images, basically everything on the screen takes on a purple / green / red tinge, like there's a screen malfunction, except the network and battery indicators remain perfectly white. It comes and goes on its own... damned annoying! :( :( :(
Glad I am not the only one, I have had this on my v11 phone since day one. Like a good boy I reported it to Nokia "Advanced Support Team" who did the classic call-centre "Oh! That's something new, never heard of that ever ever Sir!"

Checked the forums here and didn't see anything either. Partly glad to know it's a general prob and not my hardware.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:27 AM

I just came across a new feature! Upon changing the writing language (e.g. when using the full qwerty keyboard) the keyboard layout changes giving you e.g. a full qwertz german leyboard layout. Way to go Nokia!

Old 10-02-2009, 11:42 AM

+ multimedia bar now shows that a program is active, even if the program was not started over the bar itself
+ music player now reacts much quicker to remote control keypresses and it's become to adjust volume through the remote control

- camera displays "unexpected error. restart phone" after using it once. Could have sth to do with my memory card being locked since the update.
- cannot delete Marble Revolution 2 game downloaded from Nokia
- cannot find Google Maps (even though when I try to install it, it says it's already present on the phone. It can also not be deleted or upgraded).

any ideas on what to do with that?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Galbavy View Post
Glad I am not the only one, I have had this on my v11 phone since day one. Like a good boy I reported it to Nokia "Advanced Support Team" who did the classic call-centre "Oh! That's something new, never heard of that ever ever Sir!"

Checked the forums here and didn't see anything either. Partly glad to know it's a general prob and not my hardware.
Nokia either have a major manufacturing issue on their hands, or this is a major bug!

I've had 2 handsets that do this now, so with yours that's at least 3... and I know my two came from different production batches, so they can't even blame a simple "batch issue"

Old 10-02-2009, 04:58 PM

I'm wondering, why is there an option to add birthdays to your contacts if they don't automatically show up in the calendar?

Also, the 'add anniversary' option in the calendar does not really offer an alternative, since it does not tell me how old the person in question is. Any workarounds?

Old 10-02-2009, 05:46 PM

After the firmware update my 5800 doesn't dimm the screen anymore when I'm calling someone and the phone is near my ear. I loved this feature as it saved a lot of power for callaholics like me

Old 10-02-2009, 08:36 PM

List of annoyances (kept updated) on http://sanderstruck.blogspot.com/200...nnoyances.html

and changelog (kept updated) on http://sanderstruck.blogspot.com/200...changelog.html

Old 11-02-2009, 09:29 PM

erahman is on a distinguished road
problem after the update.

ive done the firmware update and all the hard resets as mentioned in my earlier post and all good.

but the annoying thing is, for example on touch piano i dont get full scren.

I get an annoying virtual d pad(keypad)/ on screen key pad.
I cant get rid of it. help!!

I get this on: touch piano, touch guitar, touch manouver, opera mini 4.2, touch popper, touch card.

all these apps were full screen with the v11 firmware, after upgrade to v20 ive got this problem.

am i the only one?????
has any one got this problem? if so have you fixed it.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:41 PM

mafty is on a distinguished road
@ erahman

Not sure if this will work, but on some programs that use the D pad, if you select SETTINGS/APPLICATION MGR./INSTALLED APPS/ then single click the program you are having problems with and press options you should get an option that says SUITE SETTINGS. Select this and there is an option called ON SCREEN KEYBOARD.
Here you can select 3 options, one of which is off.

Like I said, may not work for the programs you're having trouble with but definitely works with some.

My spec is as follows so v20 may be different...

F/W version 11.0.009
UK Red 5800XM

Old 12-02-2009, 06:44 PM

nolimit966 is on a distinguished road
u can now also take photos with the front camera, you couldnt with the 08 version i had on my voda 5800

Old 12-02-2009, 10:09 PM

erahman is on a distinguished road
@ Mafty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafty View Post
Not sure if this will work, but on some programs that use the D pad, if you select SETTINGS/APPLICATION MGR./INSTALLED APPS/ then single click the program you are having problems with and press options you should get an option that says SUITE SETTINGS. Select this and there is an option called ON SCREEN KEYBOARD.
Here you can select 3 options, one of which is off.

Like I said, may not work for the programs you're having trouble with but definitely works with some.

My spec is as follows so v20 may be different...

F/W version 11.0.009
UK Red 5800XM
cheers for that mafty, it worked on opera mini, others dont have that option...
why did i upgrade to the new v20?? why?????