All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 08-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
How to convert video files and DVDs to watch on the Nokia 5800

With its 3.2 inch screen, which has a 360 x 640 wide screen resolution, the Nokia 5800 has all the hardware it needs to be a great video playback device, but what about video content? In the latest in our series of Nokia 5800 beginner tutorials Tzer2 explains how to convert and watch video files and DVDs on the 5800 Xpress Music.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 09-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
There are actually a lot more new tutorials on there now, check out the index page:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...ips__Hints.php

I've tried to add stuff that isn't often talked about, for example the wallpaper tutorial explains how to do multiple-image slideshow wallpaper, and how to take pictures from the internet for use as wallpaper.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Unregistered

Good effort but the guide says a whole lot of nothing. Using the internet tablet video converter is not the ideal solution for those wanting top quality.

Surely you can discuss the ideal resolution, format, bit rate etc without breaking any laws?

What should be known is that the 5800 can smoothly playback videos that have been ripped from a dvd and converted into it's native resolution (640x360). At this quality it's like watching a HD movie and puts other phones to shame.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:42 AM

Al3xandr3 is on a distinguished road
Here's my findings about video converting this weekend.. It's great to convert divx into this little wonder that is 5800.

You can download a FREE software here: http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products...-Converter.htm

Yes, it says iPod converter but it can convert to 5800 too.
All you need to do is:

Open the program folder, than the Profiles folder. Once there you'll find a MP4 profile.xml file. Edit it in Note pad, and simply add this profile parameters:

<Profile>
<Name>5800xm Highest Quality (MPEG4, 30 fps, 640x360; AAC - 192KBit)</Name>
<Description></Description>
<Comment></Comment>
<VideoType></VideoType>
<FrameWidth>640</FrameWidth>
<FrameHeight>360</FrameHeight>
<FrameRate>30</FrameRate>
<VideoBitrate>2450000</VideoBitrate>
<AudioFormat>192000</AudioFormat>
<AudioChannels>2</AudioChannels>
<AudioFrequency>48000</AudioFrequency>
</Profile>

Then save the file with the same name. (You may experience some troubles in Windows vista with permissions control, but you can manage it by changing permissions in the main folder)

after this is done, just go to the program, choose the file and on the parameters, choose Mp4. You'll then be prompted with a Nokia 5800 profile.
The resultas are superb,. Really, really impressive. The video will play in Real player with much better results than the Batman trailer the phone is packed with. Believe me.

If only I could solve my problem with subtitles... And I'd be in heaven!!
Cheers.

PS: I got this tutorial from Dailymobile forum.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
It is worth noting that these guides are intended for beginners. We'll certainly consider do a advanced version of the same thing that goes into more details, but some of these things are very subjective!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Good effort but the guide says a whole lot of nothing. Using the internet tablet video converter is not the ideal solution for those wanting top quality.
The guide says several times that it isn't for people who want top quality.

The guide is for people who want the EASIEST possible way of putting video onto their 5800, i.e. shortest number of steps, least amount of knowledge required etc.

All they really have to know to use this guide is how to move icons around on their computer's desktop, it doesn't get much easier than that.

Quote:
Surely you can discuss the ideal resolution, format, bit rate etc without breaking any laws?
The legal talk is only in the section about DVD cracking, to explain why we aren't publishing instructions on how to break DVD copy protection.

The reason there is no discussion of resolution, bit rate etc is because it's pointless if you're trying to convert videos as easily as possible.

You don't actually need to know anything about video technology in order to use the Tablet Video Converter, all you need to do is drag-and-drop the video file icons.

Quote:
What should be known is that the 5800 can smoothly playback videos that have been ripped from a dvd and converted into it's native resolution (640x360). At this quality it's like watching a HD movie and puts other phones to shame.
How can someone do that without knowledge of bit rates, formats, codecs, resolutions? They can't.

What they CAN do is convert video into reasonable-quality files that work on the 5800 using the ITVC, and that's why I used it as the main converter in this article.

Videos converted on the ITVC are perfectly watchable. They might not be cutting edge maximum quality, but if you're just trying to watch a film on a 3 inch screen it doesn't have to be that high resolution.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Unregistered

Does one actually need to convert files at all?

I ask because on my N82, Coreplayer (1.2.0 - so not even latest) not only handles full size, full frame rate (i.e. PC res) movies (in DivX format), if I switch the video res. to medium (medium actually gives an improvement in quality as frame rate increases and screen res appears the same - i.e. high), but also plugging this into a full size TV I was unable to tell the difference between that and watching a DVD. Now THAT is impressive! There was very slight blurring on specific subjects in a scene when the scene lingered for a few seconds, but that is a codec problem, and might be fixed in the latest version.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It's a fair point, and I did try to discuss this in the guide before its section on conversion.

A lot of videos will play on the 5800 and other S60 devices without conversion, just whack them on the memory card and fire up the phone's video player.

However, some formats won't work (Xvid for example) and others may play but they would have a file size that is unnecessarily large (a direct rip of a DVD for example). Those are cases where conversion before would be sensible.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Unregistered

Smile ripping dvds

ripping dvds

on mac osx
handbrake

on winxp
a combination of dvd shrink and videora

and when you get a disk with deliberate bad sectors to foul up dvd ripping software. ripit4me which creates the dvd files on your hard drive without the errors.

i rip all my dvds. i also get downloaded shows which go straight to my ipod. as soon as the dvd is available i buy it. so they aren't losing a sale by my ripping dvds.

occasionaly i'll be handed a pirated movie. if i like it i will buy it. was given serenity and bought the dvd and firefly the tv series so piracy made 2 sales in that case.

i have viewed the files on the e71 and it works ok but the battery life is drained very fast when using it for video. i do rip files so that they are viewable on a full sized screen and that might be the cause as it shifts 150mb of data for a 30 minute tv show. love big bang theory. can't be arsed with having a small copy for my nokia and a large copy for my mac etc. the ipod handles them ok. it also handles that i rip for wide screen and it shows just a tv sized section of it.

of course i'm now looking at getting 2 tb drives for my storage as i've filled every hard disk at home and a few at work.

-moylan

Old 09-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Unregistered

Divx on 5800

Quote:

It is my understanding that yes you do. Both Coreplayer and Divx Mobile Player are not compatable with the 5800 at this time.

so as far as I know there is no way to play divx on the 5800.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:16 PM

macwhu is on a distinguished road
as I'm mac based I use turbo h.264 to make my .mp4s (but i have a power PC
which need the hardware conversion tool to speed up converting)

on intel macs i use either handbrake to go straight from DVD to mp4
or good old quicktime Pro.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:47 PM

kmrdeva is on a distinguished road
I am using MediaCoder 0.6.2.x now to encode my AVI video collection for playback on my phone. IMHO, AV quality and playback smoothness have both been and are still more than satisfactory with these settings saved into a custom preset:

1. Video quality - 738Kbps XviD format under HQ mode in an MP4 container
2. Audio quality - 112Kbps LC-AAC format, original sampling rate, original channel settings, 6dB gain
3. Video resolution - 512 x 288 pixels, 16:9 aspect ratio
4. Subtitles - enabled, embedded into resulting MP4 file if SRT or SUB file is available

Do give MC a try, just download the utility, and then copy and paste my settings below into an XML preset file if you want to try them.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<MediaCoderPrefs>
<node key="overall.generic.priority" value="Normal"/>
<node key="overall.generic.autoRevert" value="Always"/>
<node key="overall.ui.language" value="1"/>
<node key="overall.ui.browserMode" value="App Mode"/>
<node key="overall.ui.optionTab" value="1"/>
<node key="overall.ui.param" value="680,640,467,108"/>
<node key="overall.ui.noWelcome" value="4255"/>
<node key="overall.task.destdir" value="C:\"/>
<node key="overall.tagging.tag" value="false"/>
<node key="overall.tagging.formatting" value="true"/>
<node key="overall.tagging.fileNameFormat" value="$(SourceFileName)_transcoded"/>
<node key="overall.subtitle.slang" value="en"/>
<node key="overall.subtitle.font" value="C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\simhei.ttf"/>
<node key="overall.audio.channels" value="Original"/>
<node key="overall.audio.encoder" value="Nero Encoder"/>
<node key="overall.video.bitrate" value="738"/>
<node key="overall.video.dar" value="Custom"/>
<node key="overall.video.darw" value="16"/>
<node key="overall.video.darh" value="9"/>
<node key="overall.video.format" value="XviD"/>
<node key="overall.preview.render" value="false"/>
<node key="audioenc.nero.format" value="LC-AAC"/>
<node key="audioenc.nero.mode" value="Target Bitrate"/>
<node key="audioenc.nero.bitrate" value="112"/>
<node key="videoenc.xvid.profile" value="Advanced Simple Profile Level 5"/>
<node key="videoenc.x264.profile" value="Baseline"/>
<node key="audiofilter.volume.gain" value="6.000000"/>
<node key="videofilter.scale.enabled" value="true"/>
<node key="videofilter.scale.width" value="512"/>
<node key="videofilter.scale.height" value="288"/>
<node key="videofilter.scale.scaleDown" value="true"/>
</MediaCoderPrefs>

Last edited by kmrdeva; 11-02-2009 at 12:26 AM.

Old 21-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Johnrobat

Thumbs up Video Converter for Mac

hi!
Its nice feeling to work on Symbian platform but today Video Converter for Mac is very necessary to play video files on iPod, iPhone, BlackBerry, HTC, Nokia mobile or other mobile and portable devices. Convert all popular common video and HD video formats.

Old 22-02-2010, 09:53 AM

semiferger is on a distinguished road
Do you know.I am very sad to hear that 5800 can't play divx file.A very cheap MP4 player, no OS at all can play DIVX file, can output video to TV without the need of converting to the correct screen size.Nokia 5800, latest Powerful Symbian OS can't play.So disappointed.Just wait until there's more programs available for s60v5, they'll make a player that can run all divx files, I'm sure of it.. it just needs time

Old 04-02-2011, 06:10 AM

jellyguy is on a distinguished road
Useful info for Nokia users like me, thanx !