All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-01-2009, 04:52 PM

colonel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchstick View Post
Out of curiosity Colonel, what network's SIM did you use ?

As for slowing down the hit on their servers. V11 has been out now for almost two weeks, most people outside the UK who want to upgrade will have done so already AND in the UK the phone is only offically available from Nokia online and direct from a couple of nokia shops.

If the servers can't handle the load that will generate they have a serious problem.
O2 contract

Old 26-01-2009, 04:56 PM

matchstick is on a distinguished road
Damn I have 3, Vodafone, T-mobile and Orange sims to test with but not O2

Old 26-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
I read somewhere lots of rumours about this.

1. Each nokia has a unique number. Not sure if it uses IMEI or something else, but the update database checks your unique number or entitlements before it updates. Sometimes nokia takes time to update the upgrade database fully, especially when it has sold over 1m of these babies!
What you're talking about here is the phone's PRODUCT CODE (or SPN to use phone speak) - this is the 7 digit code (such as 0575581) which indicates which region (country) and network your phone was originally configured for.

It is *THIS* code that Nokia's Software Update program reads to decide whether there is an update available for your phone. It is also through this method that Nokia can make different firmwares available for different networks and countries.

Old 26-01-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuclark View Post
What you're talking about here is the phone's PRODUCT CODE (or SPN to use phone speak) - this is the 7 digit code (such as 0575581) which indicates which region (country) and network your phone was originally configured for.

It is *THIS* code that Nokia's Software Update program reads to decide whether there is an update available for your phone. It is also through this method that Nokia can make different firmwares available for different networks and countries.
thats the bugger.
so folk here should post their one to see what has been updated.
how do I find which mine is ?

Old 26-01-2009, 05:32 PM

williamsardar is on a distinguished road
It's written on the back of your phone under the battery.

Old 26-01-2009, 05:32 PM

CaptnSpaulding is on a distinguished road
Quote:
thats the bugger.
so folk here should post their one to see what has been updated.
how do I find which mine is ?
Take your battery out and it will be on the sticker underneath

Old 26-01-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchstick View Post
Damn I have 3, Vodafone, T-mobile and Orange sims to test with but not O2
I think O2 will give you a free PAYG chip if you speak to them nicely

but I really don't think this effects the update

Old 27-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think O2 will give you a free PAYG chip if you speak to them nicely

but I really don't think this effects the update
No, not at all. As said before, the update is dependent on the code hardwired into your phone.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:55 PM

darwin25275 is on a distinguished road
Red face Updated nokia 5800 asking for memory card password

Team - Good day to all and happy new year, I need your fruitful help for after updating my unit to v20. it is asking for memory card password. Do anyone from here knows how to crack it. I've tried 65000 and other numbers i 've read in this forum but to no avail. pls help me as per nokia care i need to format memorycard but i have a lot of stuff , important stuffs i need to recover first prior format. Kinly give some help. A million thanks to all. also for your time reading my post. Mine is Black version.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:45 PM

robmeik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin25275 View Post
Team - Good day to all and happy new year, I need your fruitful help for after updating my unit to v20. it is asking for memory card password. Do anyone from here knows how to crack it. I've tried 65000 and other numbers i 've read in this forum but to no avail. pls help me as per nokia care i need to format memorycard but i have a lot of stuff , important stuffs i need to recover first prior format. Kinly give some help. A million thanks to all. also for your time reading my post. Mine is Black version.
Maybe you can take card out and copy contents to your computer and then format card in phone, then copy contents from the computer to card? I did this when I bought a 16Gb card and wanted to copy the contents from the 8Gb card I had ... formatting the 16Gb in the phone first to check it was happy!!!

I never set passwords for my card or phone because I know (have read it here and inother places) the chaos it can cause with firmware updates!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 02:08 PM

darwin25275 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmeik View Post
Maybe you can take card out and copy contents to your computer and then format card in phone, then copy contents from the computer to card? I did this when I bought a 16Gb card and wanted to copy the contents from the 8Gb card I had ... formatting the 16Gb in the phone first to check it was happy!!!

I never set passwords for my card or phone because I know (have read it here and inother places) the chaos it can cause with firmware updates!!!
Hi Robmiek - I will try your suggestions. Thanks a million . . . . GOD Bless.

Old 31-03-2013, 07:13 PM

mechanix is on a distinguished road
you can update to a custom version... mine works like a charm... if you're interested, i can send you the links to the custom firmware and the tools needed for the installation of the latter
Ads

Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 AM

mechanix is on a distinguished road
the JAF emulator which you need for installing the custom anna 7.9 on your Nokia 5800. the procedure is really simple, and if you want, i will upload a video on youtube on how to do it. you will need both of these files i have provided in the links below:

http://cleanfiles.net/?u8H711q
http://cleanfiles.net/?aOY0p32

Last edited by mechanix; 12-04-2013 at 09:39 AM.