All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
MOAP extends to Taiwan via F905i

Fujitsu and NTT DoCoMo today announced they had localised a FOMA handset for the Taiwanese market. The F905i runs MOAP on Symbian OS device and is the first such handset to be made available outside Japan. The phone will be available on Far EasTone Telecommunications' (FET) network. The F905i features a 3.2 inch WVGA screen, 3.2 megapixel camera and allows input via the Traditional Chinese character set.

Read on in the full article.

Old 15-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Have they ever made clear what will happen to MOAP after Symbian goes open source? Will they use the new unified S60 on Japanese phones?
Ads

Old 15-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The implication was that there would be a unified platform, but details were lacking when I asked about this.

Its possible that MOAO could continue (there's nothing to stop people putting another UI on top of Symbian).

Old 15-01-2009, 03:10 PM

Dynite is on a distinguished road
As far as I am aware MOAP is being submitted to the foundation as well as UIQ with the thought being that the best bits will be nicked and put into 'S60'.