All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 13-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia E63 reviewed - hardware and email

The Nokia E63, at £200 (SIM-free), is one of the cheapest S60 phones (at RRP) on the market. With its QWERTY form factor it looks, at first glance, very similar to the popular, but more expensive, Nokia E71. In the first part of his Nokia E63 review Steve look at hardware and explains the differences between the two 'sister' devices, looks at the basic email experience and discusses the on board applications.

Read on in the full article.

Old 13-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
It's interesting to see how Nokia is positioning the Eseries range after they merged their three devices divisions into one.

Eseries used to be squarely aimed at "corporate" users, but the E63 (with a very low launch price, 3.5mm audio jack, and bright casing colours) seems more likely to be bought by students or self-employed people.

Maybe Eseries is now for serious users in general rather than just businesses?
Ads

Old 14-01-2009, 03:33 AM
Unregistered

I'm really tempted to get this. It would make an excellent 2nd phone for me. I've never really liked qwerty devices enough to own one. But this, at this price point, with that huge battery, and wifi, is just perfect. To all those who doubt Nokia's future in the smartphone world, seriously, are there anything out there that can match this at this price?

Old 14-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Unregistered

This phone is expensive in Australia. The E71 is now $550AUD while the E63 is $450AUD. Why would you bother. This whole 3.5 stereo input line is lame, haven't people heard of bluetooth headphones?

Old 14-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
I dont like messing about with BT headphones. I do however hate 2.5mm jacks, which anything bar this phone and N series seem to have (ok, and the tube).

When will Nokia realise there is many people who want the E series to have a phone or 2 that has a camera to match the N series phones?

They made some interesting hardware choices on this, some I dont understand.

Old 14-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Pilotpaul

I want one of these, as in three months ago to replace a rubbish s40 slide 6500!

Well I have already ordered mine last thursday (the 8th Jan) an I still haven't recieved a shipping email, they still haven't taken any money or sent an order dispatch despite sending an automated email saying they received the order.

I expect they will drag their feet on this one, 3-5 days shipping was the option with no notice of back order, if they take too long I may moan about the shipping fee!

Does anyone actually have any idea when they plan on supplying them, end of the month? I noticed expansys quotes a date of the 30th Jan

Paul.

Old 14-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Williamoni is on a distinguished road
Good job Steve.

Loved the way you described the battery as powering the device for eternity and in the next sentence defined that as 'easily two working days'.

Old 14-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
@Willamoni: 8-) Well, by modern (iPhone/G1/N95) standards, 2 working days IS an eternity!

Old 14-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Pilotpaul, which shop did you order from? You mentioned Expansys but wasn't sure if you'd actually used them.

Old 14-01-2009, 09:54 PM
PilotPaul

I ordered from the nokia uk store, will be my first contract free unbranded handset. I am chuffed it's 200 retail in the uk, we usually get stung.

Old 15-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Administrator

I would contact them just to make sure they have your order, can't hurt to get a confirmation.

Old 15-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Pilotpaul

Talking

Thank you Tzer2 that was a good idea, I just fired off a quick email to nokia querying the non-shipment status. I was pilot but thought I would be a little cheeky an ask about the delivery charge based on the nokia uk shop still advertising the E63 as ready to ship.

As of today that is 1 week since I ordered, I will update when I receive my new toy!

Old 15-01-2009, 12:16 PM

mnf is on a distinguished road
Which theme?

Steve, which theme are you using in your review - the dark background one with the light text?

Old 16-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The E63 comes with a dark (business) and light (personal) theme. I switched between the two during the review etc,

Old 17-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Pilotpaul

Well I finally have my E63. Nice, very nice. Turns out aparently my card had been declined from the nokia shop, but they didnt contact me I had to email them, they really didnt want to sell me this phone!

I actually took advantage of the expansys offer yesterday an had next day, plus I got a the blue one, actually I ordered 2, but dont tell my dad its not his birthday for another month yet!

I better go to work an take my new toy with me to play with!