All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-02-2009, 01:29 AM

skagen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlang View Post
many of the standard features of the SE phones simply blow Nokia out of the water (and I'm not going all nokiaphobic in saying that).....
.....Going back to the SE software:
- The addressbook is much quicker to use.
- T9 is massively better. And I mean really really better. It suggests words as you type (a la QuickWrite, but with T9 at the same time), it really does pick up the more commonly used words first, it doesn't stop half way through a word if what you're typing isn't in its dictionary.
- The calendar is better, as per the OP.
- The alarm clock is better - you can pick different sounds for different alarms, you can easily adjust alarms..
The Nokia E66 and E71 actually have all these features here. I think the T9 with suggestions is also now in phones with S60 3rd FP2 and S60 v5 ie not your old N95.

Dont get me wrong - I find that Nokia is too sloppy and random with how it treats the OS and features. It should be better thought out for a good user experience instead of just throwing various things out as they do. That is precisely why some phones I mentioned have these things, while others dont.

Worse yet, when something WORKS, you cant be sure that they will even keep it in the set going forward. Eg timed profiles was in S60 then dropped then came back, multi-alarms the same.

So Nokia has a lot of work to do. But to be fair those things you mentioned actually do exist on several other Nokia phones.

Last edited by skagen; 14-02-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Ads