All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 02-12-2008, 05:04 PM
radical24's Avatar
radical24 radical24 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 75
radical24 is on a distinguished road
Nokia Maps 3.0 beta not compatible with N96 yet !

Go figure, 3.0 is compatible with FP2 phones except for N96, they are working to rectify the situation however as it stands, flagship gets a shaft....what do you say ?
__________________
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me!
___________
N85, N95-3, N82, N73
___________
www.radical24.vox.com

  #2  
Old 02-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Flip95's Avatar
Flip95 Flip95 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 58
Flip95 is on a distinguished road
Beer Installed on my N96 no problem

Installed and working fine, still not a patch on TomTom tho!


Where did you get your info that it's not compatible?

  #3  
Old 02-12-2008, 05:08 PM
bartmanekul bartmanekul is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,653
bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
On beta labs, they recommend not putting on the N96 as it has some 'issues', though they dont say what.

  #4  
Old 02-12-2008, 05:20 PM
radical24's Avatar
radical24 radical24 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 75
radical24 is on a distinguished road
Maps 3.0Beta works with all Nokia devices based on S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 except N96, where we have still known compatibility issues. S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 support coming soon.

MapsBeta on Ovi works on IE6 (Windows XP), IE7, Firefox 2 and Firefox 3 (Windows XP or Vista). Give feedback


source: nokia betalabs site/compatability

so yes it may work with issues
__________________
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me!
___________
N85, N95-3, N82, N73
___________
www.radical24.vox.com
Ads

  #5  
Old 02-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Flip95's Avatar
Flip95 Flip95 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 58
Flip95 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by radical24 View Post
Maps 3.0Beta works with all Nokia devices based on S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 except N96, where we have still known compatibility issues. S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 support coming soon.

MapsBeta on Ovi works on IE6 (Windows XP), IE7, Firefox 2 and Firefox 3 (Windows XP or Vista). Give feedback


source: nokia betalabs site/compatability

so yes it may work with issues


Interesting.

45 mile drive home for me - I'll use Maps and let the forum know if I spot anything.

  #6  
Old 02-12-2008, 07:40 PM
munkiii munkiii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England
Posts: 267
munkiii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by radical24 View Post
Go figure, 3.0 is compatible with FP2 phones except for N96, they are working to rectify the situation however as it stands, flagship gets a shaft....what do you say ?
*cough* http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/02/n...hip-n97-phone/ *cough*

Nokia's got a new Flagship as of today.

  #7  
Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 PM
radical24's Avatar
radical24 radical24 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 75
radical24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkiii View Post
*cough* http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/02/n...hip-n97-phone/ *cough*

Nokia's got a new Flagship as of today.
technically yes, however because it has not been released and we might wait for another six months or so before it actually hits the streets, the N96 still remains a flagship at least on the 'street, hands on' level
__________________
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me!
___________
N85, N95-3, N82, N73
___________
www.radical24.vox.com

  #8  
Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 PM
seki's Avatar
seki seki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 971
seki is on a distinguished road
Beer I tried installing on my N85 ..

installed ok .. but failed to run .. kept crashing with a System Error! would be interested to know if anyone has got this working on N85.

Now I have no working Nokia Maps program on my N85 .. since I can't do a firmware flash to fix it.. :(

  #9  
Old 03-12-2008, 12:16 AM
radical24's Avatar
radical24 radical24 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 75
radical24 is on a distinguished road
yep works like a charm on mine so far, no issues, pretty fast load up and lock in position, will keep you posted but works great for now
__________________
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me!
___________
N85, N95-3, N82, N73
___________
www.radical24.vox.com

  #10  
Old 03-12-2008, 01:06 AM
seki's Avatar
seki seki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 971
seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Interesting ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by radical24 View Post
yep works like a charm on mine so far, no issues, pretty fast load up and lock in position, will keep you posted but works great for now
I have had nothing but problems with it .. and I hate OVI with a passion ..
No N85 support .. it doesn't know my time-zone .. it wrecked a healthy installation of PC Suite.

FFS Nokia hurry up with a damn Firmware for the N85 so I can at least flash it back to square one.

  #11  
Old 03-12-2008, 03:56 AM
radical24's Avatar
radical24 radical24 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 75
radical24 is on a distinguished road
yeah ovi does not work for me, its a headache, but i downloaded the maps it was all good for a moment, no really big changes and then it crashed with a passion, i thought that situation was hopeless but with hard reset restored my baby back to life....will take a step back from maps for a moment
__________________
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me!
___________
N85, N95-3, N82, N73
___________
www.radical24.vox.com

  #12  
Old 03-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Flip95's Avatar
Flip95 Flip95 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 58
Flip95 is on a distinguished road
Don't you just love beta software?

Like I said, i'd try driving with it for 45 miles last night. Failed miserably. Phone crashed, full reboot - and maps hasn't been stable or usable since.

Interestingly enough, it was working in the office before I started driving home. I had some great 3d pictures of the centre of Manchester (UK).


Re: Seki.

Just re-install nokia maps 2.0 - it appears to remove the beta.

  #13  
Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 PM
seki's Avatar
seki seki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 971
seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Yeah I did that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip95 View Post
Like I said, i'd try driving with it for 45 miles last night. Failed miserably. Phone crashed, full reboot - and maps hasn't been stable or usable since.

Interestingly enough, it was working in the office before I started driving home. I had some great 3d pictures of the centre of Manchester (UK).


Re: Seki.

Just re-install nokia maps 2.0 - it appears to remove the beta.
Maps 2.0 is installed but I still have the Smart2Go label on the app and the generic # icon .. instead of the Maps label and the globe icon.

Are you suggesting I re-reinstall 2.0 ??

  #14  
Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Flip95's Avatar
Flip95 Flip95 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 58
Flip95 is on a distinguished road
Beer I'm stupid ....

Sorry Seki, I was wrong.

The reinstall of v2.00 maps does not fix the problem.

I've tried reflashing my f/w - that didn't solve it either.

Anyone any bright ideas?

  #15  
Old 04-12-2008, 04:40 AM
seki's Avatar
seki seki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 971
seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Reflashing worked for me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip95 View Post
Sorry Seki, I was wrong.

The reinstall of v2.00 maps does not fix the problem.

I've tried reflashing my f/w - that didn't solve it either.

Anyone any bright ideas?
So try it again .. maybe ??
 

Bookmarks

Tags
beta, compatible, maps, n96, nokia

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[HOT][NEW] N80 RM-92 IE APAC PR v15.00 SW4.0632.0.38 juato4 Nokia N80 176 25-04-2007 03:19 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:48 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy