All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-11-2008, 10:29 PM

twinpeaked is on a distinguished road
Where to buy an N85?

Well more of a case of "is mobilephonesdirect.co.uk a trustworthy source?"

I'm really desperate to obtain the N85

Found a contract that will give me almost the contract I want (could do with a few more texts), 500 mins, 100 texts, and unlimited web on vodafone, 35PM.

Just got a few questions as I'm very tempted to click the buy button

Is this Vendor trustworthy and reliable, and is the communication with the telco good? (i.e. will the deal I am sold be what the telco gives me)

Is the device likely to be unlocked and unbranded?

Am I jumping the gun, do you think the telco's will officially stock it in 2008, maybe even in a couple of weeks time (I can wait that long)

looking forward to replies, sorry if this has been brought up before

twinpeaked

Old 27-11-2008, 08:17 AM

Biggzy is on a distinguished road
just be carful when buying n85, theres a topic over at howard forums and 1 on symbian freak about bad build quality, keys around the d-pad are just glued on and some have been lifting off and coming unglued, 1 guys keys came completly off

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

Old 27-11-2008, 08:34 AM

GordonShowers is on a distinguished road
Hi Twinpeaked.

From my personal experiences with them, they come highly recommended.

My wife upgraded to an N95 8GB earlier this year, and I upgraded to an N85 a short time ago. Both experiences were excellent, and it's next day delivery.

My N85 came with the wrong charger but they sent the correct one and it arrived at 8:30 the next morning! They are also very polite over the phone.

N85 is unlocked and unbranded. In fact, there isn't any branded firmware in existence at the moment cos no networks have taken the phone on yet. I personally don't hold out much hope for the networks taking the N85 on. And with Mobile Phones Direct it really doesn't matter. Not for me anyway, cos I wanted to stay with Vodafone.

Your contract will be entirely with Vodafone, and you deal directly with Vodafone for customer services, help etc. You can also sign up for their web service in the normal way.

If you weren't interested in Vodafone then there are other 3rd parties offering the N85 on other networks. phones4u.co.uk & dialaphone.co.uk offer it on Orange. I haven't dealt with them though.

Old 27-11-2008, 12:26 PM

pennas is on a distinguished road
+1 recommendation for mobilephonesdirect from me!

Got an N85 from them a couple of weeks ago on the 30/month 200 mins/100 texts/unlimited web Vodafone contract. Was very impressed with the communication (rang me to say it was dispatched, and that it would come in 2 packages..).

Phone was also unbranded/unlocked.

I don't see any networks getting it in the next few weeks TBH (it's not on any of the 'coming soon' pages that I can see)

Old 27-11-2008, 03:49 PM

twinpeaked is on a distinguished road
Thanks, well I like the phone, 2 possitive replies on the vendor and with me getting pretty sick of waiting, (been champing at the bit for months) seems very little to stop me from getting it. Will probably order it tonight.

Thanks guys
Ads

Old 27-11-2008, 04:21 PM

mamoo_51 is on a distinguished road
you can add me to the list of their satisfied customers!!

Delivered next day, extremely helpful customer service reps and a straight forward web site. Add to that the unbranded, unlocked phone and i'm very impressed