All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 26-11-2008, 04:22 PM

djbriandowling is on a distinguished road
Great Review Rafe,

I realy wish it had a 5mp camera but i still want it, does anyone know the release date yet(even online). i really wanna get this phone soon. Cant wait to see what a flagship touchscreen nokia.

Old 26-11-2008, 05:34 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Question

1. There is "Images & Videos" in the Gallery and i guess this mean 5800 organize the images and video files in Albums like Nseries and its compatible with "Photos" PC application...am right?

am asking because i see images in thumbnails not like Nseries.

2. What about the "Photos" application in the device itself?...the one used in N78!!...or i will stuck to the Gallery?

3. Video Editor?

Old 26-11-2008, 06:49 PM
BoyBawang

camera speed

Hi Rafe
Quote:
Camera start up (3 ish seconds) and shot to shot (about the same), but see above.

How come you said in this review that camera-Startup-ime is just one second and then now you say 3seconds? which is true??

Old 26-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Unregistered

sorry for the muddle on the start up times. I tested this both times I wrote this and got different results. As you'll know shot to shot depends on auto four time and processing time. I would say it averages 2 seconds.

Camera start up - I mis typed in the forum answer - should have been 2. of course if the camera app is open it is quicker. Just done some more test. is faster after fresh boot. But I'd say 2 seconds to be safe. Will update review when on PC.

Its worth pointing out these number always change in release / later software.

Old 27-11-2008, 12:12 AM
BoyBawang

gallery

thank you Rafe for the camera-speed clarification. Now what remains to be seen is if the speed of the picture gallery to improve a bit. It's a common sense programming to load the previous and next picture in the background while you are viewing the current one so that they are immediately available when you flick left or right. That simple trick should have improved our overall experience.

Old 27-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Just to add clarity to camera times (I wrote that last post on the E71 on a train late at night). Done some more testing this morning and the times seem to vary a fair bit, but is generally quite quick (comparable with other devices).... but like I say its early software so.

I would say that if you are wanting a decent camera then wait for a future device. Coming down from an Nseries is going to disappoint.

I'm not hopeful about the performance of Gallery to be honest.

Old 27-11-2008, 03:14 PM

sbarts is on a distinguished road
Rafe, thanks for the review. I look forward to part 3.

I'm considering getting the 5800 when it appears with Vodafone in February, according to their website. I have the original N95 and Iím able to upgrade in April but donít know if itís worth waiting a bit longer for any N series touch screen phone. I do like touch screen devices, Iíve had many windows mobile and Pocket PCís so Iím slightly impatient about getting a phone with Nokiaís slant on the idea. Do you think itís worth me waiting? Will I have to wait very long???
Ads

Old 27-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Unregistered

Repsonse to Sbart

I was thinking the same. Is it worth waiting for the Nseries touch because I'll be coming from an n82 and the camera will surely feel like a downgrade. However, from that leaked product sheet the touch devices are only going to get a 5mp camera without xenon. 5mp camera compared to a 3.2mp camera, both without xenon in my eyes, is not a big difference. If the Nseries touch had Xenon I would no doubt wait for it. IMO the only thing the Nseries touch is going to offer thats different is maybe a slightly more attractive design, maybe a bigger screen and a very slightly better camera.

Old 27-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The Nseries touch products are likely to have oher advantages too.

Old 27-11-2008, 09:18 PM

dabotsonline is on a distinguished road
I've heard in the past that the reason the Japanese phones are so highly specced are because the operator (e.g. NTT DoCoMo) fund the development of the handsets in return for offering them exclusively on their network.

Is there any chance that something like the Casio EXILIM W63CA (3.1" WVGA OLED 480x800 with an 8.1 MPix camera - http://translate.google.com/translat...0081027/au.htm ) could be unveiled by Nokia next year as a touch-screen, S60v5 handset?

Old 28-11-2008, 03:22 AM
Unregistered

Smile Nokia viNe support in 5800

Hello Rafe!

Do you know if Nokia will support 5800 on its viNe application? Thanks!

Old 28-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Unregistered

Just 1 Important question!

We know that both variants of the N95 and N82 record their video with the embedded graphics chip, which is why coreplayer and other specced symbian phones such cant play them properly, but will they play on the 5800 as they do from their native devices?

cheers

The Tzar of ......................

Old 29-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Unregistered

I read on this site dat d guitar game u mentioned above is actually part of the first ngage titles to cum to d nokia 5800. Can u confirm dis please?

Old 29-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Unregistered

where is it??

Hey this item was posted on 25th nov..... 2day its 29th nov.... where's part 3???

Thx!

Old 29-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Founder / Chief

You can see part 3 in the reviews section (just haven't made the post on the front page yet).