All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-02-2003, 07:37 AM

[D]J is on a distinguished road
[NEW BROWSER!] NetFront v3.0 for Series 60 released!

NetFront v3.0 has just been released, go here for details and download:

http://www.access-netfront.com

It's quite heavy (requires more than 1 meg of memory space) but looks like it's the best Browser available for Series 60 platform!

It has full JavaScript support, css support, dynamic html support, SSL support, animated gif support etc. Really interesting, this version is a beta and last 45 days. Enjoy! =)

Old 19-02-2003, 07:47 AM

wannyondeathrow is on a distinguished road
Checking it now.

Old 19-02-2003, 08:35 AM

Just tried it on my phone. Here's my small review:

I have no word to describe this Browser, I'm *SO IMPRESSED*, even if a beta this looks like a mini Internet Explorer and in my opinion is even better than Opera for the P800.

This Browser has simply everything you could only dream before, pages are displayed exactly as you see them on your Internet Explorer above all if you turn off the option "just fit" (then of course you'll have to scroll pages horizontally too... but I prefer this way than having the whole site displayed in one long vertical page. That smart fit option, like in Opera, changes the site's layout way too much making them look the most of times so ugly!).

There's really everything in this new Browser, from JavaScript to DHTML, background images, animated gifs, tables (even with backgrounds!), CSS and lots more! This beta version only lacks frames support but it's not a big deal for me...

The only downside of this new Browser is that you need 1,3 megs of space on your phone to install it. But if you got that free space and/or if you use your phone to surf the Internet often and you want the best QUALITY, this is without a doubt a *MUST* install.

No kidding, it is *THAT* good, light years ahead to products like Webviewer or Doris Browser.

Old 19-02-2003, 08:51 AM

My fault, it even support frames if you enable them in the "Settings" ! =)

Old 19-02-2003, 09:10 AM

liverpool lad is on a distinguished road
What's the "real" memory usage, in practice? The readme file talks about needing 1.3mb to 1.5mb.

Looks like a great app, but I'm just a bit wary of overloading the memory

Paul

Old 19-02-2003, 09:47 AM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Better than Opera , ok your entitled to your own opinion 8)

Old 19-02-2003, 10:03 AM

Wow J2 long time no see you! Well.... maybe I've a bit exagerated saying that but in some ways I really prefer it to Opera (I found a lot of bugs in Opera on the P800) even if I have to admit Opera is still more complete than this one. But, let's give these people some time! This is the first beta of this new Browser and it already looks awesome and can do a lot of things. Can't imagine how this product will develop with further releases..... Cya!

Old 19-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Certainly has been a while

For me Opera *is* the complete browser, it has every conceveable option to change just about everything.

The 7650's screen is s a bit limiting with size also for browsing, but it is certainly viewable.

Old 19-02-2003, 10:34 AM

[D]J, do you think it's worthwhile using this new browser vs Doris/Webviewer? Webviewer is about 47k (Doris about 100k?), and I've got all sorts of apps I don't really want to uninstall...

How does it compare in terms of speed (over GPRS)?

How much will the memory use grow to if the history & cache fills up? Can u configure that?

Paul

Old 19-02-2003, 10:55 AM

Hi Paul.

well, Webviewer and Doris are fine if you just want basic Internet support, if you just want to read news and don't care about advanced stuff like SSL pages or site layouts. They are just "emergency Browser", they support only basic stuff and all pages are white with black text on it.

However, as every application, it depends by the use you do of it. Being a webmaster, I'm very excited by this new product and it is a must install on my phone. This new Browser allows me to see my sites (and of course not only those) in the exact way how I created them. I can access all the forums, I can store cookies, I can see animated gifs, I can chat with the browser using javascript chats and I can do a lot of things that other products don't allow me to do it.

But I understand that for some people Internet browsing is not that important and they can live finve with lighter products like webviewer or doris.

In terms of speed over GPRS I found this new Browser to be MUCH faster to render pages than Doris Browser. As for WebViewer we can't even compare because it has no direct connection to Internet but you connect to Requireless' servers for Browsing pages (that's way it is generally faster. But I don't like the fact that they know every page you visit.....).
Also, if a day Requireless' servers are down, your Webviewer will be down too with them. And, if ever Requireless will stop supporting WebViewer a day, you won't be able to use it anymore.
Buying Wwbviewer you depends from Requireless so I don't like Webviewer at all.

As for the cache, yes if you have low memory that can be a problem but as far as I know it is cleared up every time you change a site. I had only some problems with some sites and got an error saying "memory filled going back to the homepage". But my phone is REALLY filled up with everything and Ihave like 200kb available. It should be fine with more free memory.

[/quote]

Old 19-02-2003, 11:09 AM

OK [D]J , you convinced me! I guess my mobile browsing habits are around news (ie sports!) pages, but SSL support would be very useful for a lot of password-protected sites I need to view.

Yr right about Reqwireless, I do hope their server never goes down, but it is quick and effective for "emergency" browsing.

I'll just have to remove a few games & "play" with this a while

Paul

Old 19-02-2003, 12:01 PM

has anyone tried compressing it with stacker what would the size be them..damn ive been waiting for a new browser but 1 meg is too much
i guess this is for the 3650 rather then for the 7650...

Old 19-02-2003, 12:05 PM

andy55 is on a distinguished road
Compressed in stacker, it goes from 698K to 574K...

Old 19-02-2003, 12:09 PM

Marius is on a distinguished road
can it save images??

Old 19-02-2003, 12:46 PM

phew! compressed all "necessary" apps, removed bounce & rally (not ashamed to admit using them ) had 1800kb free (before loading the sis file) and it still complains about low memory!!!

Paul