All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-11-2008, 04:03 PM

igb is on a distinguished road
Alternative Music Players for N95 8GB?

Are there any alternative mp3 players for the N95? I am totally fed up with the built in one. I mainly listen to audibooks and podcasts. I have less than 200 tracks loaded. The built in player has the following annoyances:

Takes at least 1 minute to start.
Is unable to sort tracks from multi CD books correctly. I get:

track1 CD1
track1 CD2
track1 CD3

in the playing order. My other mp3 devices cope with this correctly and play all CD1 first, followed by CD2, etc.

Keeps ghost entries for things I deleted. I know I once listened to "Roadkill" by Norbert Volestrangler and the Frog Puke Sisters, but it was crap so I deleted it. I don't want to keep being reminded about it!

Takes for ever to load after adding new tracks while it fails to rebuild its index. I always have to go to Refresh, which in itself takes for ever.

Ian.
[Feeling very grumpy this afternoon.]

Old 19-11-2008, 01:11 PM

boogieindubai is on a distinguished road
try oggplay.

check your inbox for the program
Ads

Old 19-11-2008, 01:27 PM

Burcrim is on a distinguished road
Try Lonely Cat Jukebox.

Or change your MP3 file name/attributes so that they are better organized and display in the default player.

Old 20-11-2008, 09:24 AM

Thanks, I'll take a look at oggplay. My only problem with ogg is quite a few of the devices in our house don't support ogg. Whilst I actually prefer ogg, it's an extra hassle having to maintain mp3 and ogg files of some recordings.

I *could* fiddle with my mp3 tags. However, tracks sort correctly on the three other mp3 devices around here, so I don't see why I should have to make extra effort to fix Nokia's broken code

Edit.

I see it does play mp3 files. It seems OK. However, I have a few issues I need to sort out:

I can't get it to recognise the hotkeys on my N95 8GB.
Volume doesn't work, even using the default numeric keys.
Can't get any S60 V3 skins to install.

Ian.

Last edited by igb; 20-11-2008 at 10:00 AM.

Old 20-11-2008, 06:33 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Where Oggplay lives:

http://symbianoggplay.sourceforge.net/index.html

The N95 music player keys are not available through regular S60 APIs. That's why few applications can detect/use them, besides those written by Nokia.

Old 23-11-2008, 10:41 AM

boogieindubai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by igb View Post
Thanks, I'll take a look at oggplay. My only problem with ogg is quite a few of the devices in our house don't support ogg. Whilst I actually prefer ogg, it's an extra hassle having to maintain mp3 and ogg files of some recordings.

I *could* fiddle with my mp3 tags. However, tracks sort correctly on the three other mp3 devices around here, so I don't see why I should have to make extra effort to fix Nokia's broken code

Edit.

I see it does play mp3 files. It seems OK. However, I have a few issues I need to sort out:

I can't get it to recognise the hotkeys on my N95 8GB.
Volume doesn't work, even using the default numeric keys.
Can't get any S60 V3 skins to install.

Ian.
the hotkeys work fine on my n95 "options>settings>hotkeys", and then just press the button you want to use for the various hotkeys. should work on your n95 also. do note that the volume keys on the side of the n95 will not work with the player and also the multimedia keys on the n95(the 4 buttons that can be accessed by sliding the display to the right in landscape mode) will not work!

btw the player not only plays ogg and mp3 but also wma

the only thing that doesnt work is the "volume boost" feature, but i was able to use it on my sendo x a few years ago and didnt find the feature that great anyways since it distorted the sound.

Old 24-11-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieindubai View Post
t
the only thing that doesnt work is the "volume boost" feature, but i was able to use it on my sendo x a few years ago and didnt find the feature that great anyways since it distorted the sound.
Thanks, I assumed Volume Boost meant "normal" volume. The left and right D key works fine for volume and the other hotkeys can be set as you described. It's much, much faster than the built in player.

Ian.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:39 AM

dodged is on a distinguished road
which version needed for n95 8gb?