All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-10-2008, 09:43 AM

ninetysix is on a distinguished road
N96 Firmware Update to PR1.1

There are now quite many posts and questions about the firmware upgrade to PR1.1 for the N96, and I thought it might be useful to summarize them here.

1) What are PR1.0 and PR1.1?

PR1.0 is what the N96 originally shipped with.
PR1.1 is the first firmware upgrade, that became available about 4 weeks later.

The improvements in PR1.1 according to Nokia are:
  • Faster system-wide execution speed
  • Overall stability fixes to improve robustness
  • IHF speaker volume range increased for video and TV playback
  • Autofocus accuracy improved for still imaging
  • Improved media key control if multiple media apps are opened
  • 3D ringtone issue resolved
In my experience, upgrading is really worth it and the whole device runs much better after the upgrade.

PR1.0 = SW 10.065
PR1.1 = SW 11.018
PR1.11 = SW 11.101
Note: TThe last item is a minor update for PR1.1 for DVB-H markets. You may see this software update also. SW 11.101 is absolutely identical to 11.018, except for some small improvements in the DVB-H (mobile TV) area. If you use that feature, then you should upgrade to PR1.11, otherwise, it does not matter at all.

2) Is there a firmware upgrade for my phone?

You can find out what software your phone runs by typing *#0000# from the idle screen. You will get a screen with the device manager which tells you your software release. See above for the version numbers.

Whether there is a software update available for your phone depends on your hardware (RM-247 as global default variant, RM-297 for China, RM-472 for the Americas) and on the specific country and operator variant. Many posters in the forums report that they see the message "no upgrade available for your device". Most likely it is because your operator has not yet approved the new firmware. If you bought your N96 unbranded (not from an operator), then it could still take a few extra days until certain country specific variants are available for upgrade, but it is usually a lot faster than operator variants.
You can see whether an upgrade is available from this web site: www.nokia.com/softwareupdate >> then click on "Can I update?". There, you can enter the product code found on the type label sticker under the battery of your phone, and the site will tell you whether an update is available.

3) Backing up your data

The N96 does not lose the user data (installed software; settings; etc) when you perform an update, but as a precaution, you should make a backup just in case. It is also important to keep your N-Gage games activation codes, plus licenses for any downloadable software, music and video.

4) Option A: Update over the air with FOTA

The N96 supports Firmware Update Over The Air (FOTA), which means you can wirelessly download the update directly to the device, using your 3G connection or WLAN. I recommend WLAN to avoid operator charges, but some operators seem to waive any data charges for FOTA, especially when they "push" the update to you. I find this method of updating the software a whole lot more convenient than using the PC....

Before you start, make sure that you have enough battery charge, or plug the device into a charger. Then type *#0000# on the idle screen, and select (Left Softkey) Options --> Check for Update. From then on, follow the prompts. You can see the steps for everything here on Flickr.

5) Option B: Update using the PC with Nokia Software Updater

If you have an older version of Nokia Software Updater on your PC, uninstall it. Get the latest from www.nokia.com/softwareupdate.

Connect your N96 to the USB port of your PC. I am using the CA-126 cable that charges at the same time... otherwise plug it into a charger at the same time!

Start Nokia Software Updater. See here for a set of screenshots on Flickr.

Hope this helps!

Old 13-10-2008, 12:59 PM

macwhu is on a distinguished road
still no update for the one i bought sim free from nokia store...

shocking - its like the lost product code. i expected to be ahead of the game with the lastest updates - not last to the party...

Latest available software for Nokia N96, product code 0573063
Version: 10.065

Old 13-10-2008, 05:04 PM

VSG12777 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwhu View Post

shocking - its like the lost product code. i expected to be ahead of the game with the lastest updates - not last to the party...

Yup. Same with my N96 product code 0572321. It says the latest available is 10.065 (which is the one already on the phone). Maybe Nokia Care would still do it.

Old 27-10-2008, 11:38 AM

bubs999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwhu View Post

You may have bought it Sim free, but that product code is for O2. You will be waiting ages for a firmware update from them. When I had my old N73, O2 firmware was around 4 months or more behind the generic one.

Old 28-10-2008, 06:16 AM

master_yoda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetysix View Post
4) Option A: Update over the air with FOTA

The N96 supports Firmware Update Over The Air (FOTA), which means you can wirelessly download the update directly to the device, using your 3G connection or WLAN. I recommend WLAN to avoid operator charges, but some operators seem to waive any data charges for FOTA, especially when they "push" the update to you. I find this method of updating the software a whole lot more convenient than using the PC....

Before you start, make sure that you have enough battery charge, or plug the device into a charger. Then type *#0000# on the idle screen, and select (Left Softkey) Options --> Check for Update. From then on, follow the prompts. You can see the steps for everything here on Flickr.

Question about this over the air method of updating.

Does anyone know why when you update this way the new firmware download is only about 3 or 4 mb? When updating on the pc through nokia software updater the firmware update is 115mb.

Does this small update size mean the over the air method of updating only patches over parts of the old firmware rather than completley re-flashing over all of it. I dont understand how the size of both firmware update methods can be so different.

The reason why Im interested in knowing about this is because Im trying to make up my mind which way to update my own N96 :-)

Thanks

Old 28-10-2008, 04:22 PM

sunilnc is on a distinguished road
what i've found is...when I changed my product code from the T-Mobile one to the Euro one, I tried the over the air method of upgrading the firmware and found that it said there was no update available.

I then tried the PC Nokia Updater method and it found and update.

So you might want to try PC Suite method.

Old 29-10-2008, 09:03 AM

master_yoda is on a distinguished road
Ok thanks... I'll check.

Does anyone know why the firmware update is so small on the over the air method compared to the nokia software update version though? To me a firmware yupdate is either 115mb (NSU update) or 3mb (over the air update), the same firmware update cant be both????

Old 30-10-2008, 09:36 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
I guess that when you use OTA, you only really get sent the differences. Would be nice, of course, if that happened when using NSU, too, instead of getting "everything" over.

On the other hand, if the phone supports OTA, and if the data rates are not an issue, then you don't need to use NSU at all.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
I guess that when you use OTA, you only really get sent the differences. Would be nice, of course, if that happened when using NSU, too, instead of getting "everything" over.

On the other hand, if the phone supports OTA, and if the data rates are not an issue, then you don't need to use NSU at all.
Also remember that OTA (FOTA) works over WLAN, so then data rates are not an issue.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:08 AM

OK, i trolled through the various forums and checked for cases where people do not see an available software update to PR1.1 for the N96.

Here is the status of those posts I could find....

- 0572321 - India
- 0568238 - UK, Ireland (non-branded)
- 0572092 - Vodafone UK
- 0573139 - T-Mobile UK
- 0574486 - Germany E-Plus operator
- 0572877 - Hutch?
- 0572761 - Spain
- 0570955 - Germany
- 0573582 - Finland ?
- 0543713 - Euro1

Still no update available:

- 0573063 - O2 UK ???
- 0573802 - ???

If anyone has additional info, feel free to post it here.
Note that you can check here for the status of any product code:
http://europe.nokia.com/A4577224
Ads

Old 11-11-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetysix View Post
OK, i trolled through the various forums and checked for cases where people do not see an available software update to PR1.1 for the N96.

Here is the status of those posts I could find....

- 0572321 - India
- 0568238 - UK, Ireland (non-branded)
- 0572092 - Vodafone UK
- 0573139 - T-Mobile UK
- 0574486 - Germany E-Plus operator
- 0572877 - Hutch?
- 0572761 - Spain
- 0570955 - Germany
- 0573582 - Finland ?
- 0543713 - Euro1

Still no update available:

- 0573063 - O2 UK ???
- 0573802 - ???

If anyone has additional info, feel free to post it here.
Note that you can check here for the status of any product code:
http://europe.nokia.com/A4577224
0573063 is now available too. Quite many people were looking for it.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:42 AM

ccraig is on a distinguished road
0573063 is a UK sim free variant ,just thought i'd let you know b/c you have O2 next to it with a question mark
last week i had text and email saying there was an update but when i checked nokia site and NSU/FOTA it says no update
but from yesterday on nokia site it now says v11 is out but still NSU or OTA cant find the update
so i think nokia are slow updating all the various things togther there must be a breakdown in communication's between the various parts of nokia
well any way my guess is it will be available over next few day's

Last edited by ccraig; 11-11-2008 at 01:52 AM.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:38 AM

bubs999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig View Post
0573063 is a UK sim free variant ,just thought i'd let you know b/c you have O2 next to it with a question mark
last week i had text and email saying there was an update but when i checked nokia site and NSU/FOTA it says no update
but from yesterday on nokia site it now says v11 is out but still NSU or OTA cant find the update
so i think nokia are slow updating all the various things togther there must be a breakdown in communication's between the various parts of nokia
Mine is that product code and its definately from O2, which may be why the updates aren't going through for you.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:58 PM

ccraig is on a distinguished road
do you think there could be some kind of mess up b/c i bought it new sim free , no branding and using it on vodafone and thats the code under the battery
i'll check it on NSS and see what code that reads

if you read there another person as same code and hes is sim free also and he got it directly from nokia http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=76359

can some1 let me know another UK sim free version what as the feeds for itv ,sky etc so i can change i'm getting bored of waiting

Last edited by ccraig; 12-11-2008 at 02:28 PM.

Old 16-11-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig View Post
Can you please check again? The software for 0573063 should definitely be online now.