All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #61  
Old 06-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
You missed my point completely. What I was trying to say is that mobile phones in the near future will become more like a desktop computer. They will become the platform for a good variety of desktop applications.

My concerns with Symbian is that its roots were originally from EPOC32, a mobile platform that was not meant for desktop applications. Whereas OS X was derived from desktop platform which has much more capabilities.

It will be too difficult for Nokia to enhance the capabilities of Symbian to match that of OS X. For that reason, I feel that Nokia should put some of its effort on Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Blah blah blah balh blaaah....

iPhone OS (as Apple calls it) is cut down version of Mac OS X, which is based on NEXT which was a deriative of Berkeley Software Distribution which dates to 1970s (or 1960s if we wanna go trough it's whole UNIX roots).

Android is fork of LINUX, which was created by Linus Torvalds at University of Helsinki during early 90's.

Both systems are hardly "designed for desktop applications using the latest technologies". Both are mix and match of long code history of various desktop OS with bits left and and mixed with other sources. Stop believing all the crap you read. Not that there's anything wrong with roots of either Android or iPhone OS, but stop glorifying them like a Engadget/Gizmodo reading teenage geek who knows nothing about the stuff he writes about.

  #62  
Old 07-10-2008, 10:34 AM
bartmanekul bartmanekul is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,653
bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
But that makes no sense.

You could well say the opposite.

OS X was derived from desktop platform so will never be suitable for mobiles.

Symbian will probably scale very well, since mobile computing will continue to use low powered processors (compared to desktops) and other restrictions. I dont know what evidence there is of symbian not being able match.

  #63  
Old 07-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
If Symbian is so powerful and up to tasks, why did Nokia need to use Maemo (a Linux OS) to deliver its internet tablets? And why did Nokia need to acquire Trolltech (another Linux platform provider)? Can't Nokia just use Symbian for its internet tablets as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
But that makes no sense.

You could well say the opposite.

OS X was derived from desktop platform so will never be suitable for mobiles.

Symbian will probably scale very well, since mobile computing will continue to use low powered processors (compared to desktops) and other restrictions. I dont know what evidence there is of symbian not being able match.

  #64  
Old 07-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
@unregistered:
Because those are internet tablets, not phones.

  #65  
Old 07-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
That is funny. Isn't Symbian originated from EPOC32 for Psion, a PDA (just like a tablet and not a phone)??? So Symbian can be used for internet tablet but instead Nokia chose not to use it because of Symbian's limitations and/or Nokia wants to experiment with Linux as an alternative OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
@unregistered:
Because those are internet tablets, not phones.

  #66  
Old 07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If Symbian is so powerful and up to tasks, why did Nokia need to use Maemo (a Linux OS) to deliver its internet tablets? And why did Nokia need to acquire Trolltech (another Linux platform provider)? Can't Nokia just use Symbian for its internet tablets as well?
Guess you missed the point on Maemo and Trolltech.

Maemo was created by Nokia, based on a debian linux, to provide an alternative view on Mobile devices. It was R&D and from there came the Internet Tablets.

Trolltech, know as Qt since September 30th, doesn't provide "linux" software, it provides software development platforms and frameworks.

Maybe the reason Nokia bought Qt is that it provides Cross Platform application and UI framework.
Qt on windows, Qt on Mac, Qt on Linux...
How about Qt on Symbian?
Wouldn't that make sense?

I'd be surprised if that wouldn't bring quite a boost to Nokia's devices UI...

  #67  
Old 07-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
My question is why did Nokia wants to get into Linux at all if Symbian is so powerful? Aren't Linux and Symbian competiting OS for the mobile phones? Nokia could have focused on its Symbian Foundation to bring out an integrated and powerful OS for the future smartphones.

The truth is Nokia was forced to develop Maemo, an unrelated Linux distribution based on Debian, in order to deliver the company’s Internet Tablet simply because Symbian wasn’t up to the task!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Guess you missed the point on Maemo and Trolltech.

Maemo was created by Nokia, based on a debian linux, to provide an alternative view on Mobile devices. It was R&D and from there came the Internet Tablets.

Trolltech, know as Qt since September 30th, doesn't provide "linux" software, it provides software development platforms and frameworks.

Maybe the reason Nokia bought Qt is that it provides Cross Platform application and UI framework.
Qt on windows, Qt on Mac, Qt on Linux...
How about Qt on Symbian?
Wouldn't that make sense?

I'd be surprised if that wouldn't bring quite a boost to Nokia's devices UI...

  #68  
Old 07-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My question is why did Nokia wants to get into Linux at all if Symbian is so powerful? Aren't Linux and Symbian competiting OS for the mobile phones? Nokia could have focused on its Symbian Foundation to bring out an integrated and powerful OS for the future smartphones.

The truth is Nokia was forced to develop Maemo, an unrelated Linux distribution based on Debian, in order to deliver the company’s Internet Tablet simply because Symbian wasn’t up to the task!
I guess you know it all, therefore you probably know that Symbian comes from Epoc32 and that Epoc32 supported already "internet tablets", with Psion.

And by the way, the Symbian Foundation, that's only couple months old, compared to the N770 that released in 2005...

In the end, Symbian is far from dying and it's still a pretty good operating system

  #69  
Old 08-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
It is no doubt that Symbian works, it has a very long feature list, and it's probably even the best smartphone OS available. But that was in 2007. Now with OS X and Android, Symbian looks pathetic in comparison. It has about run its course...

It is daunting and expensive task for Nokia to merge S60, UIQ and MOAP into a cohesive platform running on top of Symbian and ship it for free next year. Even though Nokia has a slim chance of making Symbian Foundation successful but the underlying technology of the new Symbian will not be able to match that of Android or OS X. It may be better for Nokia to check out Android and leave Symbian as it is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I guess you know it all, therefore you probably know that Symbian comes from Epoc32 and that Epoc32 supported already "internet tablets", with Psion.

And by the way, the Symbian Foundation, that's only couple months old, compared to the N770 that released in 2005...

In the end, Symbian is far from dying and it's still a pretty good operating system

  #70  
Old 08-10-2008, 07:50 AM
bartmanekul bartmanekul is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,653
bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It is no doubt that Symbian works, it has a very long feature list, and it's probably even the best smartphone OS available. But that was in 2007. Now with OS X and Android, Symbian looks pathetic in comparison. It has about run its course...
So you have used Andriod a lot then? On what device was this, and where?

Your comments have absolutly nothing to support them other than your guesses. Its the most prevailent smartphone OS and its suddenly run its course because you dont think it can scale up?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It is daunting and expensive task for Nokia to merge S60, UIQ and MOAP into a cohesive platform running on top of Symbian and ship it for free next year. Even though Nokia has a slim chance of making Symbian Foundation successful but the underlying technology of the new Symbian will not be able to match that of Android or OS X. It may be better for Nokia to check out Android and leave Symbian as it is.
Duanting and expensive Nokia can do, they are a very large company with a lot of resources.

But your comparisions are laughable. How on earth can you say Symbian cannot match Android (which has not even been out in the wild for consumers yet) or OS X (which is only on one phone which has a LOT of features and functions missing)?

I think it would be wise to see what happens before making such sweeping, definate statements.
Ads

  #71  
Old 10-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
It is no doubt that Symbian market share has declined over the last few quarters. It is especially very weak in the North America market. Just google yourself and you'll find many reports about it.

A notable example is SE which has decided to dump symbian in favour of WM for its high end Xperia X1 smartphone. If symbian is so powerful, why did both SE and Nokia decide to use other OS for their X1 and N810 respectively. The latest news is that SE may going to use Android for the next version of X1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
So you have used Andriod a lot then? On what device was this, and where?

Your comments have absolutly nothing to support them other than your guesses. Its the most prevailent smartphone OS and its suddenly run its course because you dont think it can scale up?




Duanting and expensive Nokia can do, they are a very large company with a lot of resources.

But your comparisions are laughable. How on earth can you say Symbian cannot match Android (which has not even been out in the wild for consumers yet) or OS X (which is only on one phone which has a LOT of features and functions missing)?

I think it would be wise to see what happens before making such sweeping, definate statements.

  #72  
Old 10-10-2008, 09:24 AM
bartmanekul bartmanekul is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,653
bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Perhaps you could supply the figures?

All I can find is that the sale of Nokia handsets going up by a fair amount, and retaining a large amount of the marketshare.

  #73  
Old 11-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Here are 2 reports to convince you that Symbian's growth has started to slow:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ransition.html

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9113979

You can find more such reports if you take some initiative to google for yourself? Do you want me to show you how to google, the developer of Android?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
Perhaps you could supply the figures?

All I can find is that the sale of Nokia handsets going up by a fair amount, and retaining a large amount of the marketshare.

  #74  
Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 AM
bartmanekul bartmanekul is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,653
bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
So symbian is not in decline, like you made out.

It merely has less growth.

In the current climbate I would be impressed if the next result shows it still increasing on last years sales.

For someone to say that symbian has 'run its course' when its still improving on previous years sales, and has the market share is quite baffling.

As for googling, I feel that if someone makes up silly, off the cuff claims, its them who should do the googling.

And even the results you turned up give no backing to your 'run the course' claim.

  #75  
Old 11-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
You are still living in a state of denial. Why are you so protective of Symbian? If SE has abandoned Symbian for its highest end smartphone, what does this tell you?

Here is another more technical acticle about Symbian:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM...AF3BD8B30.html

No point to continue our debate, just wait for the next set of results from Symbian and you will know if Symbian's growth has really slowed or declined (whatever you call it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
So symbian is not in decline, like you made out.

It merely has less growth.

In the current climbate I would be impressed if the next result shows it still increasing on last years sales.

For someone to say that symbian has 'run its course' when its still improving on previous years sales, and has the market share is quite baffling.

As for googling, I feel that if someone makes up silly, off the cuff claims, its them who should do the googling.

And even the results you turned up give no backing to your 'run the course' claim.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
5th, edition, enablers, enriched, internet, multimedia, s60, sensor, touch

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:52 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy