All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-09-2008, 05:28 PM

123scottyb is on a distinguished road
location (GPS) based search?

Hi,

Can any one recommend a location based applications? the n95 been out a while now, and now the iphone 3G i was hoping there would be some decent location apps but can't seem to find any*. Nokia chat came about a month ago, which is great app but pretty unless as friends have to have a nokia phone, if it intergerated with MSN, gTalk then great.

The ideal GPA based app would be a restaurant / pub based search based on your current location. Something that's tied in with users reviews like YELP. So I can turn to my phone and ask it where a good place (above 3 stars) to eat within 10 mins walk of where i am.

Or where's the nearest ATM? 24hr shop?

I've used the search on google maps mobile but had some very dodgy searches come back and been burnt 3 times and now don't trust the searches.

Edit: *I should say I use the Nokia sports tracker daily it's a great GPS based app!

Cheers for comments

Scotty

Last edited by 123scottyb; 27-09-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: note about sports tracker

Old 29-09-2008, 01:13 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
well google maps really is extremely accurate for me, and its the only app that i know of that does what you are looking for. anything from "tire repair" to "pizza" brings up very accurate results for what is immediately around me. and since the phone has GPS, its always got the area right on. sorry i cant help you more.

Old 29-09-2008, 09:47 PM

argh is on a distinguished road
I don't think that he's knocking the accuracy of the search, just the quality of the restaurants that it's returning (if I understand correctly)

Old 29-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Pretty much all the satnavs do that, I know Garmin displays the star of the place if its available. Worth noting that it uses a new google search though, so how similar that is to the google earth one I dont know.

Of course, you have to pay for all the satnav solutions.

You could try Nokia maps, that has a search of resturants etc. However, it does not seem to give many details, especially any star ratings.

IMO points of interest are always hit and miss, I would have thought google has the best results out of any search, since its at least not some outdated POI file.

Only thing I can think of which might be better is a directory type thing, but Im pretty sure theres no GPS based one out.

Old 30-09-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by argh View Post
I don't think that he's knocking the accuracy of the search, just the quality of the restaurants that it's returning (if I understand correctly)
Yeah i was knocking the search ,

for example I've searched for travel lodge in Pen Coed in Wales and the first result "Travel Lodge, Pen Coed" but that took me to a housing estate, I searched again and further on down the list was the actual one. Had the same with PC world search where the pin point on the map was 1/2 mile off.
Ads

Old 30-09-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
Only thing I can think of which might be better is a directory type thing, but Im pretty sure theres no GPS based one out.
I could always create a mashup to convert current lat/long to postcode then pass current post code to an existing directory?

What directory would people recommend? that ideally has reviews, ratings and tags.

Although even with this you've still got to find the place, ideally you'd want a plugin to you mobile browser to say open location in google maps mobile.

Old 30-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Im not sure, I just figure that directories have much more uptodate and accurate information in them.

I dont know any available for Symbian either, though I remember some talk of yellow pages?