All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 24-10-2008, 05:00 AM

Melmotion is on a distinguished road
Smile It works it works now YaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmotion View Post
I also have N95 4 8gb on T Mobile USA and unable to receive sync settings. I contacted Ovi support and got this;

"apologize for the inconvenience caused. Please take note that your network provider does not support nor able to identify the origin of Ovi settings via 3-digit number sourced from Ovi server.

However, I would advise you to try the options given below:

1. Delete and re-add your device in “Sync device” to resend “Sync” settings to your device.

2. Try using SIM card from different network provider.

3. Contact your network provider regarding delivery support for Ovi “Sync” settings to your device.

For more information, please visit our website at the address below:

You may like to visit our website at http://www.ovi.com/services/support for more information and support on OVI.

Kind regards,"

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to get this working?

Is there an AT&T user who has received settings message from Ovi and willing to resend it to me?
I decided to try again today on T Mobile US and got the SMS in a few seconds. I'm all synced up but wish Ovi could sync messages as well. Now I'm 80% satisfied with my N95 8gb. This link has some settings info for T Mobile US.

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/T-Mobile_Data

Old 15-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Mdwrdam

Talking Ovi nolike IE8, or is it vice versa?

I've been, still am and likely will be frustrated for some time to come. Contrary to some of the posts I´ve read here, I had no problem whatsoever with activating and subsequent syncing to my N95 AND 6233.

I do miss a very important functionality though, a merge or de-duper functionality. Having two phones 2 sync (and my private Outlook with PC/suite, my employer´s Outlook via MS/Exchange, and my Outlook on my present projectlocation I do manually (only the veryvery important calendar - tasks items, contacts or the actual mails isn´t so much of an issue.) But having mutiple sync points I really want and need some simple yet effective tooling for cleaning up the inevitable inconsistencies. This "maintenance" is preferably done via a VERYVERY userfriendly interface, otherwise you won't do it (well, that's the kind of person I am, a bit on the chill side of life ;-)).

Guess what happens if you don't maintain consistency to an appropriate level? Exactly! A BIG MESS, which you'll sync to all the other sync points, creating something similar to a big oil spill. Believe me, even though it might sound funny, if you´re in that situation you won´t be enjoying it.

The strange thing is if you´ve got a person (well at the very least a name) with two seperate records in your phone, Ovi Sync will process without a glitch. However, once you try to edit one of the two, it´ll refuse to save to edit telling you this person already has an entry. (which in itself is a good thing, but It´ll envoke sort of like this reaction Vista provokes so professionally; `if you´re A.I. is such that you can tell me something is wrong, but you can´t offer a solution, or at the very least some assistance, then please don´t tell me anything. So merging or de-duping in Ovi Sync would be highly valued by me.

Another point which needs to be solved is the freaky behaviour of IE8. It seems to have some identity issues, it´ll only work with Share. All other area´s are unreachable ´cause IE8 will load the mobile site version, Sync isn´t in beta on .mobi! I know, more an issue for Bill G but still a nuisance. At first I thought I was at fault ´cause I also have multiple logins (tel #, email and username) fix this! (please)

Even though I understand the whole Ovi files infrastructure needs to be financed (and thus paid), I don´t think it´s a viable business model. There´s several free alternatives available. For me orb (orb.com) does the trick, it´ll basically upstream anything from my home PC to whereever I have connectivity, so no way that I´m gonna pay for that kind of a service, even though others are free to do as they please, ofcourse)

Old 05-12-2008, 04:30 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Fed up of this malarkey !

I had installed SWIM for auto sync with Ovi.com a few weeks back. And of course I have my Ovi.com account setup properly for my phone (verified it many times) - for syncing.

Initially the sync-ing was seemless. Now in the last week. I get an error when I am on EDGE/GPRS - "server not responding".

It seems to work ok on WiFi though its very slow. This has been going on for last 1 week. I am fed up. Adding to my disgust, many contacts on Ovi are not having their phone numbers, email addresses etc.

So I went ahead with termination. Good riddance I say !
Ads

Old 01-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Unregistered

Angry inconsistent performance

The syncs are incomplete. If I have home and work addresses they both do not sync. Sometimes they sync and create duplicate entries. Sometimes part of the address is dropped. I've tried it for 3 months now (June 09) and am giving up, my address book is all messed up.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:39 PM

N95 dude is on a distinguished road
I've been using it for about a month now with no problems at all with my N85. Actually that's a bit of a lie, I had a spot of bother to start with but that was down to Orange and the branding rather than Ovi and also my getting to know a new handset.
I use it between myself and my administrator to communicate appointments and meetings. It's not let us down yet.
The only original ball ache was remembering to sync manually however it has now become second nature to me to get into my car, put the phone in the holder, press sync, confirm connection and while I'm starting the car and fastening the seat belt, the sync completes.
A quick look at the active stanby screen tells me if anything has changed that day and voila. Job Jobbed.
I think it's ok if you learn to work with it rather than expecting everything to work straight away and have things spoon fed to you.
I thought part of the fun of being a little geeky is working out how stuff works

Old 19-07-2009, 01:06 PM

N95 dude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Rafe, thanks for posting the settings. However, using my Ovi username/password I get an incorrect username/password error.
I give up. It doesn't look like Ovi Sync brings anything that I couldn't do before with Google Calendar and ScheduleWorld, so I'll continue to use those.
I have the same issue now :(