All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-08-2008, 09:27 PM

Jeth01 is on a distinguished road
E71 call log & todos

Hi there,

New here. I've had my E71 for a few weeks now. I made the switch from Palm OS (Treo) which I had for many years. So far I am really loving this phone. However, a couple issues which are driving me crazy, which I hope someone can help me with.

1) My call log doesn't pick up my contacts correctly. When I miss a call, and I go to the log, it just shows the numbers. At first I was wondering if it is because it does an exact match. (If so, thats pretty lame.) Like, if it is in my contacts as 1-312-360-1705, but the call shows up in the log as 3123601705. However, I took the number from the log and did an "add to contacts" to update the contact with that form of the number -- and it still doesn't work. What gives? Very annoying. I don't know everyone's phone number, I really need it to show the names.

2) I really, really miss the Todo list app I had on my Treo. The built-in one in S60 sucks. I have tried AquaCalendar and Papyrus. The problem is - I need a fusion of both of them. I like the category filtering in AquaCalender, but it doesn't have the views that Papyrus has for overdue, today, tomorrow, future, undated, etc. Please someone tell me there is another Todo app out there that has a) filter by category and b) views by due date (like I noted above). Or, is there a way in Papyrus to not show all the categories? I know you can collapse the ones you don't want to see, but I have a ton of categories and that still clutters up the screen having a bunch of collapsed categories. (And I have to do it each time.)

What I really want is to be able to just view my work tasks, or my school tasks, or my travel tasks, etc. Or see what travel tasks are overdue, or what work tasks are upcoming. This seems like these would be standard use cases for a todo app, but I can't find one so far that will do this.

As a side note - at first I was trying to find one that would sync the tasks with Outlook. But at this point, if there is one that works like I want but does not sync, maybe I could live with that. I do mostly look at this list only on my Palm. But I'd at least need to back it up or export it somehow in case my phone is lost. Is there anything like this?

Thanks much for any advice.

Old 13-08-2008, 04:29 AM

vbap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeth01 View Post
Hi there,

1) My call log doesn't pick up my contacts correctly. When I miss a call, and I go to the log, it just shows the numbers.
For me it works fine if caller ID is slightly different to contact's stored number (ie seems to strip out / insert IDD codes, country codes, leading zeros, etc).

The only time it doesn't match is if there is more than one contact with the same number. In Windows Mobile, it would show the first matching contact (which is helpful). With S60, it only shows number (which is not helpful)!
Ads

Old 13-08-2008, 01:17 PM

Ah! That's probably it! I do have multiple contacts because it took the ones from my Outlook contacts and my SIM phone book. I will clean that up so that there is only 1 for each person. Hope that works!

Thanks.

Old 13-08-2008, 03:46 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
yes the caller ID only showing numbers is because somewhere you have duplicate entries with the same number. either on the sim card, or phone book, or both. clean them up and it will be fixed

Old 13-08-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
...clean them up and it will be fixed
Nice in theory, but sometimes you need to have multiple contafcts with same number. Many companies send out their general reception phone number as caller ID, not the individual number / extension of the person calling. With Windows Mobile technique, at least I get to see the name of someone who works at that company, and I know then which company is calling. I even created some company entries in my contacts with a name that made them "first" on the list, so that when someone from that company called, the company contact entry would b foun first and displayed as Caller ID. It was really convenient...
But not anymore. Oh well, at least the E71 has the smart search for contacts from home screen...!

Old 14-08-2008, 04:15 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
wait a sec I'm confused. My company is set up the same way. My desk extension shows as the main lobby number when I call my cell from my desk. I have the main number stored as the company name so that shows up like normal. Now I have no way to have individual internal desk lines show up as anything other than the main number. So you list the main number as a second number for each individual contact so that incoming calls at least tell you what company is calling? I still don't follow totally how any name would show up other than the main number.

What I do is save each work contact with their direct desk line. So when they call me I just see the company name. But when I call them it shows their name like "frank's desk" etc.

I can't see any other way for any OS to handle this. If frank and tom are both stored in my phone book, which name would the OS display?

Old 14-08-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
(...)What I do is save each work contact with their direct desk line. So when they call me I just see the company name. But when I call them it shows their name like "frank's desk" etc.
(...)
I was describing what I used to do in windows Mobile, and it's exactly what you describe here, except I could still leave the company number against each individual contact (as well as their direct number). Then, for the separate Company contact entry, I would name the contact with a special leading character (eg *) to make it show up first in the contacts list. This would be the entry that WinMo would associate with caller ID when anyone from the company called.

I never actually thought of your method for S60 devices - by removing the company number from each individual contact, and just leaving a separate Company contact entry, it would work, so thanks for that.

(but that won't work for people's home numbers, although I don't get too many calls from domestic landlines anyway...)

Old 18-08-2008, 01:20 PM

Just a FYI, cleaning up my contacts seemed to work! After removing the extra entries, 2 of my calls showed up correctly as the names in the log. I'm assuming all others will, too.

Thanks!!
p.s. It doesn't seem to matter if the number is in the record multiple times. It was just that I had more than 1 contact record with that number. (One from my SIM book and one from contacts.)