All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-08-2008, 05:50 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia to set up a Movie Store?

You know AAS doesn't post device leaks and rumours. But this is something more off the wall - and yet, if not true, a terrific, terrific idea. James Burland is reporting that he's heard that Nokia is only months away from (maybe) launching a Movie Store. He even quotes the tech specs of the videos and has details on DVD ordering after watching. What do you think?

Read on in the full article.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Unregistered

Not sure

Don't know why we need a nokia branded everything.
Seems like a bad idea to me.
I think they should make some new decent phones.
Nokia is all over the place these days and I don't really see that any of the services they offer are that great.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:17 AM

nparayo is on a distinguished road
I think Nokia needs to work at what it has at the moment, work on the music store, work on the apps, firmware updates. Stick to those and make those solid, thats my view.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Some evidence for this which has been on ovi.com for a while now, the Ovi Sync screenshot has a television icon in the top row:

Also, I'm 95% sure a Nokia executive was asked about this many months ago and didn't deny it, though of course he didn't confirm it either.

Quote:
Don't know why we need a nokia branded everything.
Nokia needs a Nokia-branded everything. ;-)

The reason they're doing all these services is that they need something to fall back on when the phone market is no longer growing.

Europe has already reached saturation point, other regions will eventually also become saturated, and the prices are dropping all the time, so the potential for profits on mobile phones is going to gradually decrease over the next 10 or 20 years.

It's a bit like IBM with PCs, they got out of the hardware business when they saw that clone PCs were minimising profits, and reinvented themselves as a consulting company.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Another thing: if you register for Nokia Account through Nokia Chat, you get a username which is username@ovi.com.

Is Nokia going to launch a webmail service too?
Ads

Old 01-08-2008, 02:05 PM

brendan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
Nokia needs a Nokia-branded everything. ;-)

The reason they're doing all these services is that they need something to fall back on when the phone market is no longer growing.

Europe has already reached saturation point, other regions will eventually also become saturated, and the prices are dropping all the time, so the potential for profits on mobile phones is going to gradually decrease over the next 10 or 20 years.

It's a bit like IBM with PCs, they got out of the hardware business when they saw that clone PCs were minimising profits, and reinvented themselves as a consulting company.
mmm not really sure what to say to that.

No one has a clue what will be going on in 10-20 years - who ever they are!!!
IBM told Bill Gates to go away when he approached them with MS-DOS so I don't think IBM is the best company to follow. Dell & Apple seem to be making healthy profits.
Whilst the market maybe be not growing in Europe there certainly is profit to be had and the markets in India, China and other parts of the world are exploding.

What we don't need is another photo sharing website, another email address, another blog site, another music store another film rental / downloading site. Which is what Nokia appears to be doing. To succeed in this cut throat business you need to make things work well out of the box. Apple with the iPod & Itunes and now the iPhone & the App store are good examples - Nokia & N-Gage is not.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan View Post
What we don't need is another photo sharing website, another email address, another blog site, another music store another film rental / downloading site. Which is what Nokia appears to be doing.
Agreed, but what would be nice is if it was all wrapped up in one. *Eventually* thats what OVI should be. Of the above, the only thing I dont use is a blog site. All the rest I do, and I would be very nice to have a single login for all that, not to mention somehow have it nicely integrated into my phone.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
No one has a clue what will be going on in 10-20 years - who ever they are!!!
If you only did things you were sure about, you'd do nothing at all. :-)

People might not know 100% for sure, but there are definitely clues.

For example average phone sale prices are definitely dropping and have done for the past few years, so that's a clue that phones are getting less profitable.

At the same time, the amount of money spent on online services is going up, so that's a clue that it might be possible to make money from them.

Neither of those is a cast iron guarantee that Nokia should do this of course, but there is at least some logic to what they're doing.

Quote:
Whilst the market maybe be not growing in Europe there certainly is profit to be had and the markets in India, China and other parts of the world are exploding.
Indeed, and that's what Nokia are doing, India and China are their two biggest markets. But do you think India and China are going to carry on expanding at their current rate forever?

If the market can become saturated in Europe, it can become saturated anywhere, and when that happens it becomes much more difficult to expand your sales.

Quote:
What we don't need is another photo sharing website, another email address, another blog site, another music store another film rental / downloading site. Which is what Nokia appears to be doing.
As bartmanekul pointed out, it would be nice to have all those with a single login accessible from any device, which is the aim of Ovi.

It's often forgotten but Nokia emphasised when they launched Ovi that they didn't necessarily want to own or run every service, they just wanted to provide a single way to access lots of services. If they put Ovi on every Nokia handset, it's conceivable that they would have third party service providers joining the platform, the way third party game publishers may join a gaming platform.

Quote:
To succeed in this cut throat business you need to make things work well out of the box. Apple with the iPod & Itunes and now the iPhone & the App store are good examples - Nokia & N-Gage is not.
You're assuming that what's going on now is how things will always be.

Nokia Maps used to be a very unreliable bit of software, but Maps 2.0 has been a huge improvement, and hopefully Maps 3.0 will be even better.

You can't just look at a first attempt and write a company off forever. Apple's first computer wasn't the Macintosh, it was the Apple 1 and later Apple II, both of which are almost completely forgotten now except by enthusiasts.

And the original iPod sold as badly as the original N-Gage (literally the same first year sales figures), which is also forgotten by most people.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:40 PM

brendan is on a distinguished road
fair enough but I am not really sure Nokia has had any real successes with its online services? I mean big success like Apple had with the iTunes store?

Just because markets aren't growing does not mean there are no profits.

with regard to phone prices dropping. In some areas of the market yes but even then manufacturing costs are dropping as well. Again dropping prices do not necessarily drop in profits. But also some phones prices are increasing - take the iPhone 3G - its selling like hot cakes but in reality it is one of the most expensive phones ever.

The current N-Gage is Nokia's second attempt.

I just dont see how Nokia is going to compete and win against sites like the iTunes store - for music, Flickr for photos, World Press for blogging etc And as for selling movies that's just stupid imho it is not their market at all - they are going to compete with Sony (the PS 3) and Apple - itunes and Apple TV - they will loose.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:24 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan View Post
they are going to compete with Sony (the PS 3) and Apple - itunes and Apple TV - they will loose.
If you have a Nokia phone, but do not have an iPod or iPhone or PSP, how would you benefit from Sony or Apple selling whatever they sell for their devices (at least if you don't have or don't want to go through a PC)? Could a Nokia online shop be useful/valuable for such Nokia device owners? So, as long as Nokia is making and selling over 400 million devices a year (more than 1.2 million devices every day of the year), one could think that there's a market, or do you disagree? How many PSPs has Sony sold over the lifetime of it so far? How many movies have they sold to the PSP owners?

Last edited by N/A; 01-08-2008 at 06:29 PM.