All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-02-2003, 12:41 PM

Danimal is on a distinguished road
Sending Pop3 ok-Smtp not

Hi.
Just would like to inform you, that not every Smtp mailer seems to work with our P800s. Made some tests recently and found out, that even connected to the Smtp port, nothing seems to work. But with other implementations no problemo. (actually I saw the device connecting in the mailers log, so no resolvement issue here).
I haven't done a trace to find out why, but I am sure that's not the mailers problem at least.
Regards
Danny

Old 08-02-2003, 01:25 PM

thewolff4u is on a distinguished road
Re: Sending Pop3 ok-Smtp not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
Hi.
Just would like to inform you, that not every Smtp mailer seems to work with our P800s. Made some tests recently and found out, that even connected to the Smtp port, nothing seems to work. But with other implementations no problemo. (actually I saw the device connecting in the mailers log, so no resolvement issue here).
I haven't done a trace to find out why, but I am sure that's not the mailers problem at least.
Regards
Danny
I have the same problem, my p800 wil not connect to the smtp port??

Old 09-02-2003, 04:10 PM

blueside is on a distinguished road
I got 2 accounts & can't send mails on both of them (popping mails is ok though).

The error says: "DND report: bad name"

Did you guys get the same error ?

:roll:

Old 10-02-2003, 07:09 PM

Yogi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueside
The error says: "DND report: bad name"

Did you guys get the same error ?

:roll:
Hello Blueside. I got the same error.
Then I deleted the email account.
Restarted the device and sat up a new account.
Then it worked. Don't know why, but it did

Old 11-02-2003, 09:52 PM

t0me is on a distinguished road
I tried deleting my account with no luck. I have set up several and tried with ip and mail server names and still no luck. It just doesn't connect to them. Even tried with the auto cofigurator from SE's site. I wrote to SE, and they gave me the UK helpline, but the guy at SE-UK didn't have a clue about the phone.

The phone allows for DNS settings and I think that might help but there are none for Vodaphone UK GPRS.

Is there any tools out there I can test the connection with (it would be nice to ping or tracert)?

Browsing works, but no pop or smtp for me :-(

I'm also getting problems with java pages but thats another story.

Software version R1B if anyone has any clues......

Old 22-03-2003, 05:16 PM

Same problem for me

I have the same problem.
Browsing web sites works fine with built-in browser and GPRS account.
I get a "DNS error" message when trying to connect to my POP3 account.
POP3 account works fine with Outlook and can be accessed from any IP.
Any solution?

Old 23-03-2003, 12:32 AM

Muzikfreakah is on a distinguished road
I think the reason why SMTP is not working is because of youre email service provider. Are you using and HTML based provider like Hotmail or yahoo? Or a private service provider company?

If your using the second one then the problem would be their system. They will not allow you to send email if you are not using there connection account. For example me: I am connected with PLDT dsl here. I can send and recieve email from my connection but on someone elses connection I can only recieve and not send.

For HTML based emailse there should be no problem!

Old 23-03-2003, 11:33 AM

It is not HTML based. It is a regular POP3 account that can be accessed
by any POP3 client (apart from my mobile :(). I know that I cannot send mails from other connection accounts but I can retrieve my emails from any IP and connection. For example, from my laptop at home, I can dowload my emails from this POP3 account but I use the SMPT service
of the ISP to send the emails.

With my P800 although I can browse HTTP pages without any problem
I have this "DNS error" problem either when trying to retrieve or send
emails :(

Thanks for the help anyway!

Old 24-03-2003, 04:43 PM

Might be worth trying to send ALL mail via your service providers SMTP account ? (e.g. SMTP.ORANGE.NET)

SMTP doesn't care who posts to it (rather like an ordinary post box) and justs acts as a delivery mechanism. I have multiple email accounts working like that, POP3 collection from the email Service Provider, SMTP delivery via Orange on each account.
Ads

Old 24-03-2003, 11:46 PM

Ok ive been trying to configure these myself also. When Using my DSL email accoound provided my my DSL provider I can Recieve all my email without a problem but I cant send, I just get a "Problem sending message: disconnected" er" error.

When I use our company email account which is based from our website account www.arctech-pc.com, I cant send or recieve email. When sending message the satatus bar goes to about 50% then stops, then I get this message "Email "to" or "CC" or "BCC." I've checked, changed & repostioned the email address that I put in there, I didnt even put anything on the CC and BCC but still it wont work :( As for the sending part, all I do get is failed to connect :(

Still trying to figure out the right configs..[/list]

Old 25-03-2003, 05:23 PM

woozle is on a distinguished road
what details are you using?

There's another thread on here about setting mail up.

If you're using GPRS, you'll almost certainly have to send mail via the SMTP server of your GPRS provider - which is probably not the same as the people you get your POP3/IMAP mail through.

If you can't do that for some reason, you'll need to have a server that allows you to send mail regardless of where you're connecting from - which is pretty unusual these days and almost entirely limited to ones that you have to use a username and password with...

Old 25-03-2003, 05:48 PM

B@CO is on a distinguished road
Exactly

What i also did was my company's POP3 account including User&Pass for receiving email.

And i am using my Wifes Email account
(@Home,Netherlands; mail.home.nl) including her User&Pass for the SMTP

Works like a charm..

Old 25-03-2003, 06:15 PM

i-ball is on a distinguished road
Since this thread has gone on for so long I thought I'd make it that little bit longer.

Here's my experience: pop e-mail should work with any pop server so long as you have access. eg. pop.freeserve.com for freeserve.

as for smtp server to send out e-mail, this setting will depend on the smtp server you are using. many smtp server denies e-mail submission if you are not in the same network. for example my P800 is connected to o2 so therefore i cannot use smtp.freeserve.com. some smtp server allows submission when you authenticate with it.

the easiest solution is to use the smtp server that your network has, for example, o2's smtp is mail.o2.co.uk so when i send e-mail fromthe p800 it goes to this server.

Old 25-03-2003, 08:02 PM

t0me is on a distinguished road
I tried all of the above when I first got the phone, yes called, yes tried many smtp, ones I know work regardless of where you are coming from, or what you are doing, even made my own (mail server - e2k) and can't send by that. Delete all accounts and reboot it and it may tease you and do it once but then won't do it again. Pain in the A.

I did find some info that might help. If you use dialup internet connection I think you will have more success. If you use Wap over GPRS then I suspect thats the problem. Even proper GPRS there seems to be different standards. I think some of them won't allow communication over port 110 (SMTP). I think there is a telnet app for the phone, if there is I will have a go at some diags with that.

I plan to try again, but like I said, its a pain in the A

Old 25-03-2003, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0me
I tried all of the above when I first got the phone, yes called, yes tried many smtp, ones I know work regardless of where you are coming from, or what you are doing, even made my own (mail server - e2k) and can't send by that. Delete all accounts and reboot it and it may tease you and do it once but then won't do it again. Pain in the A.

I did find some info that might help. If you use dialup internet connection I think you will have more success. If you use Wap over GPRS then I suspect thats the problem. Even proper GPRS there seems to be different standards. I think some of them won't allow communication over port 110 (SMTP). I think there is a telnet app for the phone, if there is I will have a go at some diags with that.

I plan to try again, but like I said, its a pain in the A
Ive tried using both connections and smtp still doesnt work :(