All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-01-2009, 10:23 AM

redshark313 is on a distinguished road
Select "Messaging", another menu will appear where you can then select "New SMS". That is how it works on mine anyway (RM-346 running 110.07.127)

Old 20-02-2009, 02:02 PM

baloopa is on a distinguished road
Tools, settings, general, personalisation, scroll down to one-touch keys and select it. Select messaging key, Select long press, and then select Messaging, this will bring up various options, including New SMS. Select that one.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:37 PM

angleofdarkness is on a distinguished road
Hi, I've compiled and grouped some of the shortcuts from this post, and added a few of my own. I did not include some shortcuts listed previously that I could not get to work

NOTE:
Fn key = lower left key (gray)
Shift key = one key to the right of Fn key

Idle and Menu Screen
- Long press "M" (zero) = launch browser (or switch to browser)
- Long press left softkey at idle screen = unread text messages are read out loud
- In the menu screens (icon grid which is 4 columns by 3 rows), press any gray number key = launch the icon in the relative position (i.e. Click "1" = launch upper left icon, click "0" = launch lower right icon)

Messaging and File managment
- Hold Shift + Click Navi (or Return key) = mark/unmark a single item (in mail, file manager, gallery etc)
- Hold Shift + scroll Navi up or down = mark/unmark multiple items
**- Hold Shift + Click Navi (to mark a file(s)), then Fn + Click Navi to bring up Shortcut menu (File Manger shortcuts are: Move, Copy, Mark; Messaging shortcuts are: Listen, Reply, Delete, Move, Mark)
- Hold Shift + Backspace = Standard Delete key function (delete chars to the right of cursor position)
- Hold Fn + Spacebar = Shortcut menu in Notes and Messaging (i.e. turn on/off predictive text, settings, writing language, input method)
- Hold Ctrl + any vowel = scrolls through vowel accent options

Image Gallery:
- press Fn + * = toggle fullscreen
- press Fn + 5 = zoom in
- press Fn + 0 = zoom out
- press Fn + 3 = rotate right
- press Fn + 1 = rotate left

Nokia Maps
- Shift = zoom in
- Backspace = zoom out
- Space bar = current position

Browser
- 1 = Bookmarks
- 0 = Homepage
- 9 = Enter web address
- 2 = Find on page
- * = Zoom In
- # = Zoom Out
- 8 = Page Overview
- 5 = Tab display (like firefox, with multiple windows open you can switch windows, close, close all others)
- Backspace = Close current window (when more then one window open)

** this is my favorite shortcut, if you are doing a lot of file moving or organizing, it's very quick going through a list using "Shift Navi + Fn Navi" to move files

Old 19-03-2009, 09:21 AM

weym is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone! I canīt get that Page up/Page down shortcut (ctrl+up/ctrl+down) to work in the browser. Is there some additional shortcut for that? Itīs really pain to scroll up and down long pages, even with overview-function.

Old 29-03-2009, 10:09 AM

bored&agitated is on a distinguished road
if you press and hold the d-pad button (the middle one), the form for a new sms message comes up.

Old 23-04-2009, 02:34 PM

John.Guzman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
Does anyone know how to get a new text message be the default thing opened when you press the mail key for a long period of time? Right now it seems that the default action is to open up a new email....
You can change this in the settings....I have it set up like this.

Menu>tools>settings>General>Personalisation>On-Touch Keys>Messaging Key>Long Press>Messaging>New SMS

Old 24-04-2009, 02:31 PM

John.Guzman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3gsm View Post
I can't see a setting to change the long press to new SMS, I just have a list of applications I can set to it. Shame, on the E51 new SMS could be saved to that key.
Trust me you can.....just selct messaging, and it will outomatically go to a new menu where you can select new sms.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:18 PM

tissage is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
Copy and paste can, in some situations be done with Ctrl+C (but you need to hold down Func+Chr+C to get this on the keyboard). You can highlight text (in edit situations) by holidng the shift key and moving the direction pad. Copy will appear as on of the softkey labels.

Page up and page down are Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down. Again you access control by pressing the function key first (so Fn+Chr+Up on the keyboard. Doing this directly is awkward. You can press Fn then Ctrl+Up. If you doble tap the function key it becomes sticky (i.e. like cap locks and as tim describes above) and you can then do multiple page up and page downs eaily.

Also handy are the usual silent and Bluetooth keys. From the idle screen hold down # to switch between silent and general profiles. Press and hold down * to switch bluetooth on and off.

I have stickied this thread as I suspect it could be very handy for new users. Please feel free to add your own tips, shortcut and other such things. I may try and keep things consolidated if it gets confusing.

Am I an idiot? This doesn't work for me. I've had an E71 since November 2008 and I can't figure out how to cut and paste. This is particularly frustrating with urls. For example: even with Gravity that has an option to copy links to the clipboard, how do I paste them into my favourite browser?

Old 12-06-2009, 11:09 AM

akafudge is on a distinguished road
Long press on shift key does not toggle profiles

Hi all, on my E51, I sould be able to press and hold the # key to switch between General and Silent profiles.

It does not seem to work.

Is it me or a known bug?

Cheers

Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 AM

shilpi is on a distinguished road
Smart Search Of Mobile Phones

just select messaging, and it will automatically go to a new menu where you can select new sms.

Last edited by shilpi; 07-07-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Old 17-07-2009, 06:53 AM

ilikee71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
I want to know about page up and page down, also cut, copy and paste. Any ideas?
Why you not try to read the e71 user guide to get the answer, I think all the keys are presented. it is at http://www.phonesir.com/Nokia_E71_user-guides.html

Old 17-07-2009, 04:31 PM

Jay3gsm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Guzman View Post
Trust me you can.....just selct messaging, and it will outomatically go to a new menu where you can select new sms.
Been a while since I used the E71, back on it now, and that works fine

Old 20-01-2010, 12:48 PM

sibabar is on a distinguished road
save attachements from sms

Hi. We receive attachments such as images/videos in sms inbox from any other phone via bluetooth. Is there any way to save all the attachments in one go. Like we receive 5 images in sms inbox and in order to save them in memory, we have to save them one by one. How to avoid saving one by one?

thnx
SIBabar

Old 05-02-2010, 07:06 AM

porkchop is on a distinguished road
is there any shortcut keys that sets the home screen to active and basic at a click of button??

note I am not changing between personal and business....i am changing between active and basic

Old 27-08-2012, 09:32 AM

miraaa is on a distinguished road
Well this is good information i was waiting to know this process.