All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 16-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia E66 - the big style update for business

It's done. Rafe's definitive review of the new Nokia E66. Part 1 covers the target market and design, plus connectivity and PIM applications, and is a must read. With a wealth of improvements over the E65, the E66 seems a worthy 2008 update for this surprisingly popular marque. Part 2 will cover business tools and multimedia.

Read on in the full article.

Old 16-07-2008, 06:19 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Red face Nice Review

I like the new Calendar and Modes..but i doubt if the calendar can replace Handy Calendar i use in my Phone.
I already download the Dictionary from Nokia official site (it said compatibility with E66 and E71) but it work on N95 and other phones too (why Nokia)....but this make me ambitious to dream ..what about Modes on the Nseries??...or its embedded in the firmware like Calendar?....

Old 16-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Good review, this phone looks exactly my thing, much more so than the 6220C.

Funds permitting (doubtful), I'll be swapping.

I assume those pictures are of a prototype, or early review model. All the ones for sale dont look like that.

Old 17-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Unregistered

Man, I don't understand how anyone could actually WANT a slider phone. With something like the N95 range you take slider cos thats the only form factor that it's available in, but, IM(not so)HO, anything less than the N95 has no chance! I can understand that it's a good design for having a larger screen but then a flip phone makes more sense cos at least the screen is protected in closed mode. Not that I like flip phones either. (",)

And yet you are right...I see E65s in womens hands all around me in the business disrict. Beats me, I swear!

Old 17-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Because it gives you a bigger screen?

I dont know what sliders you have used, but some are extremely good. The 6110 has a rock solid slider, its build quality is incrediable (same cannot be said for the lens cover).

Aside from that, theres many reasons why people like sliders.

For starters, you can easily unlock/lock the phone one handed. Yes you can do the same with candybars, but not as easy if its a good slider.

Second, some prefer it for answering/hanging up a call.

And some prefer it over clamshells (me included) because its a lot easier to open. I prefer the look too, and a hinge is a lot more flimsy.

Old 17-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Attila

?

this has probably already been asked, but is it possible that the other E series (E61, E70, E90 etc) phones will get these fancy new Modes and Calendar?

Old 17-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Definitely not for E61 / E70. Its possible for E51 and E90, but I doubt it.

Old 17-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Bartmanekul is right, sliders let you have a bigger screen without making the keypad tiny or the phone huge. Steve Jobs' infamous comment about "too much plastic" took no account of sliders, which let you have the best of both worlds.

And it is quite fun and intuitive handling calls with a slider, you slide it open to answer and closed to end the call. You don't even need to look at the phone to do this.

And yes, the 6110 slider is indeed excellent, totally rock solid both when open and closed, and better than the N95's.

However, the N95's slider is rather unusual as it goes in two directions, which may explain why it's slightly looser than normal single slider phones.

Old 19-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Unregistered

My problem with sliders is that they aren't very pocket friendly. My N95 answers calls by itself when I would much rather see who's calling before I answer. also it would be nice if the keypad could remain locked when its opened. I have little kids...need I say more!

Old 19-07-2008, 08:01 AM

Sizzers is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I had been considering replacing my E51 with an N78 but I had also been considering this device as well, and your review as gone some way to convincing me! I'm not a fan of either flip or slider phones but this does look rather special, and the build quality of E- Series is so much better which is VERY important to me (most N-series just seem too plasticky and creaky for my taste). Feature wise it's pretty impressive too and looks a well worthwhile upgrade. Just got to wait for the white steel version now!

Old 19-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My problem with sliders is that they aren't very pocket friendly. My N95 answers calls by itself when I would much rather see who's calling before I answer.
Erm... you must have weird pockets. :-)

I've got my N95 here and I cannot get it to unlock except by sliding it open completely. I've never ever had a slider phone open completely in a pocket or bag.

However, even if the N95 is causing you problems, most modern sliders let you switch off the "answer when opened" option, so you can avoid this issue altogether if it's happening.

Old 20-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Unregistered

I wonder if it'll be as successful as the E65 because that worked out so well for Nokia.... </sarcasm>

Seriously though, I phone they actually support this phone unlike the E65 where they ditched it for months on end.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Skodaboy

So confused..!

Once again, another fantastic review. In my opinion, the best on the internet. Well done..!

I bought the 6210 after reading your reviews, and haven't regretted it one bit. Best phone I've had.

But now Im undecided between the nokia 6220, e66 and e71, possibley like many other users. Could you please state which one does it for you guys and why? How would you compare/contrast it with 6210?

Much appreciated, thanks

Old 08-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Heres a good one.

Does the E66 still retain the voice tag method?

I heard they were moving back to being able to record your own, rather than the newly implimented 'learning' feature.

Everyone I know much prefers the old method.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Unregistered

smart dialler on E66

ok dumb question.

i cant seem to figure out how to activate the smart dialler. help!
Ads