All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In case you were wondering, an N-Gage client is absent, although I thishank it would make a lot of sense. I benchmarked the 6220 Classic using the processor-intensive game Oval Racer, and found games performance quite weak,
The reference hardware for N-Gage is the N73, that's what the games are written for. The 6220 Classic is easily powerful enough to run all N-Gage games.

The whole point of N-Gage is to run on as many S60 phones as possible, not just the technically advanced ones, because userbase is the key thing for a gaming platform, it trumps all other factors. If you have a large and active userbase, then your gaming platform will be successful no matter what technology you use.

The only reasons the 6220 Classic wouldn't have N-Gage is because Nokia haven't finished the FP2 version of the client yet, it will take three months for any finished client to enter firmware, and even then Nokia may stupidly decide not to release the client for all the models they could.

I just don't understand where this idea comes from that technically advanced games systems are the most successful, because it just isn't true. Compare rival games systems from virtually any period, and it's almost always the technically INFERIOR system that triumphs: the Atari 2600, the NES, the PS2, the Nintendo Wii, the entire Game Boy series etc. It's probably because cheaper systems can be bought by more people, so their userbase tends to grow more quickly, which then attracts more third party support so the initial success snowballs.
Ads

Old 11-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Unregistered

Some corrections...

"As with the N82 and N95 classic, sliding the mechanical lens protector across kick starts the Camera application, although the interface seems simplified a bit for this mass market phone, with all the fiddly exposure, ISO, sharpness (etc.) options removed. Probably just as well. Rafe says that this is because the 'full' camera application is Nseries-specific, the older Nseries camera app (which this is) has been passed back for inclusion in the baseline S60. "

The "fiddly" stuff are all present in the 6220c. Just go options-> customize toolbar. It wouldn't make sense to put a 5mp sensor and leave all settings to auto, correct?

Old 11-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Almost

Lets hope it does go down to 15 a month contract very soon otherwise it doesn't make much sense choosing this over their flagship n95 released 18 months ago (20/month).

I think this is where Nokia has missed the boat. So many N95 and to some extent n82 users are looking for an upgrade and Nokia doesn't release anything new. You may think it's only for the tech savy who are interested but I'm not so sure. The n95 is a popular device and even people who don't know too much about technology will know if a phone is better than what they currently have. I think even this group don't find anything appealing for example the n96. This is why I'm thinking of going elsewhere such as the Samsung Omnia or HTC Touch Pro/Raphael. I'm not a fan of WinMo but will give it a bash as they seem to be the ones moving forward. Nokia on the other hand have stagnated and sitting on their laurels. Why couldn't Nokia realease a true successor to the n95 and stay way ahead of the market? e.g. optical zoom, better optics, higher MP, widescreen / higher resolution just to name a few. What's wrong with selling bucket loads to the tech savy or for those seeking upgrades?

Nokia phones of late has been the same phone/features repackaged in a different casing.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Unregistered

""So what if Rafe and Steve don't buy a 6220 Classic? That's two more in the shops for the rest of humanity.""

Thought you guys got all your phones & software for free ;-)

Old 11-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost View Post
Lets hope it does go down to 15 a month contract very soon otherwise it doesn't make much sense choosing this over their flagship n95 released 18 months ago (20/month).

I think this is where Nokia has missed the boat. So many N95 and to some extent n82 users are looking for an upgrade and Nokia doesn't release anything new. You may think it's only for the tech savy who are interested but I'm not so sure. The n95 is a popular device and even people who don't know too much about technology will know if a phone is better than what they currently have. I think even this group don't find anything appealing for example the n96. This is why I'm thinking of going elsewhere such as the Samsung Omnia or HTC Touch Pro/Raphael. I'm not a fan of WinMo but will give it a bash as they seem to be the ones moving forward. Nokia on the other hand have stagnated and sitting on their laurels. Why couldn't Nokia realease a true successor to the n95 and stay way ahead of the market? e.g. optical zoom, better optics, higher MP, widescreen / higher resolution just to name a few. What's wrong with selling bucket loads to the tech savy or for those seeking upgrades?

Nokia phones of late has been the same phone/features repackaged in a different casing.
I agree to an extent, but the N95 in both versions is a big beast of a phone. I know quite a few who are wanting the same thing, in a smaller package.

I know of even more people that keep saying 'If only the 6220 had wifi'.

Personally, I think they should have done a version with the same form factor, but bigger screen (as Steve said it would fit) and wifi, and upped the cost accordingly. Call it the 6220 classic 'i'. Call it the the 6320. Either way, a lot of N95 users would have swapped.

And that the 6220 should have had an accelerometer, if need be sacrificing the TV out. ASR on the 6220 would get used a heck of a lot more than TV out I bet.

Myself, Im trying to get hold of a 6210N, and E66 to compare, since Im not convinced by the build quality of the 6220.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The "fiddly" stuff are all present in the 6220c. Just go options-> customize toolbar. It wouldn't make sense to put a 5mp sensor and leave all settings to auto, correct?
Nice spot - and thanks for the posting it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost View Post

I think there'll be upgrade options from Nokia before too long. The N82 has only been out 7 months or so at most so I suspect people will be waiting a little longer to upgrade. N95 people - yeah fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
""So what if Rafe and Steve don't buy a 6220 Classic? That's two more in the shops for the rest of humanity.""

Thought you guys got all your phones & software for free ;-)
Actually, despite what Steve wrote, I have bought myself an 6220 because I think it is a great phone and wanted to spend more time with it. We'll be using the one I bought to do more features over the next few months. If there's specific areas you want us to look at please let us know.

BTW for the majority of reviews we do these days I (well AAS) buys the phone in order to get it in a timely manner, although sometimes we do get loaned phones by PR (as such its quite unusual to get a free phone despite what people might think!).

Old 11-07-2008, 02:41 PM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Personally, I think they should have done a version with the same form factor, but bigger screen (as Steve said it would fit) and wifi, and upped the cost accordingly. Call it the 6220 classic 'i'. Call it the the 6320. Either way, a lot of N95 users would have swapped.
Nokia doesn't want N95ers to get 6220, 6220 is for the mass market, to break away people frustrated with their motorolas, shamesungs and pony bricksons. Nokia would bring more candy for N95ers (which, ofcourse, would cost a lot more money too) like the upcoming N96.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

True enough, I suppose we all think about what would best suit us.

The functionality of an N series, with the build quality of an E series, with the form factor of a 6xxx model....

Old 11-07-2008, 03:58 PM
PekkaR

Before potential users get to see the phone and price tag and become impressed, operators and retailers are buying the handsets from Nokia and setting the prices according to what they think people will pay. I really hope nobody (realistically, "as few people as possible") gives them money until the pricing comes down.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:49 PM
friedbrains

ATM, it is as expensive as the N82... so if you are buying a phone today, might want to look at the Black N82 1st...

wait a month, and this will be really cheap, specially when N96 is out!

Old 11-07-2008, 08:38 PM

SmartA$$ is on a distinguished road
I had this phone delivered on Monday, it was an upgrade on O2.

I really liked the size of the phone, the screen (though a little small for me) is really lovely, bright & clear. I also found the menu to be fast and intuitive. The camera was great too, loved the xenon flash.

However, I was really disappointed with the quality of the phone. I know the phone is built to a budget but for me I didn't feel like it would last 12 months. I know the phone tested in the review was not the final version but the one I had came direct from an operator. The sides of the phone creaked around the bottom third of the phone, around the kepad and the camera button. The back was also of disappointing quality, the battery cover didn't seem like it would last long if you regularily swap SIM's.

My 6220 is going back to O2, I know the phone is cheap and I don't mind a plasticky phone if its cheap. But I don't want a phone that is likely to crack on a small fall or in my pocket. I reckon it would take my 18 month old son about 10minutes to pull this phone apart.

My advice would be to get the N82 or N95 8GB if quality is important to you.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The build quality on mine is good. I've already dropped it once (quite good at doing this to phones) and it had no discernible damage (unlike metalics which often leave a mark). I guess these things can vary a lot.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

I think its deceiving. The 6220C really doesnt feel anything like quality, but I think the phone is actually a lot tougher than it looks.

Im still going to see about the E series build, but after having the 6220C for a week, I think its a lot tougher than most people think.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:20 PM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
The reference hardware for N-Gage is the N73, that's what the games are written for. The 6220 Classic is easily powerful enough to run all N-Gage games.

The whole point of N-Gage is to run on as many S60 phones as possible, not just the technically advanced ones, because userbase is the key thing for a gaming platform, it trumps all other factors. If you have a large and active userbase, then your gaming platform will be successful no matter what technology you use.
Totally agree with you there. I don't see why Nokia make an effort to release N-Gage for all the S60 phones that are powerful enough for it.

Sure hope we will see the N-Gage application for 6220c eventually.

Old 13-07-2008, 12:38 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
U K - P R I C E - U P D A T E

Expansys are silly expensive, with a pre-order list price of 354 (black) or 339 (purple).

HOWEVER, you can buy it SIM-free from Nokia Direct, for just 279 (black only for now).

Or even better yet, you can buy it from the Carphone Warehouse, SIM free/O2 PAYG, for just 249.95 when bought with a 10 top up, so 259.95, inclusive of 10 call credit.

As this is O2 PAYG the phone will be network unlocked at this price point, if not even a full network unbranded model anyway.

This is a great price, for a phone so feature packed. My only worry is the repeat mention of how cheap it allegedly feels.

So I will stay tuned for build quality updates, and in the meantime, the price is sure to fall even more!

Excellent.