All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-07-2008, 05:01 PM

Speedbird1192 is on a distinguished road
Problems with 6220 and Garmin XT

Hello, first of all apologies for maybe posting in the wrong forum but i couldn`t find any forum for the 6220. I recently bought the new 6220 and tried my Garmin mobile xt card in it but it wouldn`t start. Nothing happens when i press the start button but something is definitely happening as several of the buttons stop working and a phone reboot becomes necessary. Both the phone and XT are the latest software versions. (XT ver. 4.10.80). I also had to install XT manually via the .sis file so it should be installed correctly. I really hope there is a workaround for this as i really dont want to use the Nokia Maps app, the phone alone was expensive enough. I don`t want to pay fees and stay online in order to navigate with that (excuse my french) crap.

rgds

Old 02-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Hmm, Im due a 6220C this week, and I want to install garmin on it as well.

Not quite sure what point your at though, you say the phone stopped responding when you put the card in? but you say you installed it manually with the sis file?

If it doesnt work, then I can ask Garmin about what they are doing for feature pack 2 compatibility (I assume FP2 is the problem, although I suppose it could be hardware).

Garmin do issue updates for problems, .60 and .80 sorted out some.

If it is a problem with new devices, I wonder how long it will take for them to fix it. I really dont want to rely on nokia maps either.

Just out of interest, how are you finding your 6220?

Old 02-07-2008, 05:31 PM

Sorry, i should have been more clear. What i meant was that the phone stopped responding after inserting the card, installing the .sis file and starting the program from the "My programs" folder.

I tried contacting Garmin here in Norway (I`m a dealer) but they didn`t know too much about the XT version yet as they haven`t sold many units.

Other than that the phone is great! It`s much thinner than my previous 6110, seems to work faster than it too and the camera is way better! Only issues i`ve found is the keyboard that need some getting used too since the menu and clear buttons are sqeezed in between the softkeys and deny\receive calls buttons. This has caused me sending messages a bit prematurely resulting in friends receiving senseless messages
This is only a matter of getting used to the layout and size of the buttons so i guess after a couple of weeks it will get better.
Also the display seems to be very prone to scratches as it isn`t recessed into the chassis of the phone as it were on the 6110 and it`s very easy to open the camera lens inadvertedly when putting the phone in your pocket etc. Oh and of course, the annoying Microsoft-way-of-making-money-style navigation software that comes with the phone.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Might seem silly, but have you tried leaving it for an age? Sometimes things just seem to hang like they are doing nothing, then come to life ages after.

When you said Garmin havent sold many XT units, what did you mean? I thought they sold loads, as its been on sale for ages. Or did you mean not many in use with the new models?

Id hate to have to sell my Garmin XT, its my favourite one out of the lot.

Btw, didnt you get 90 days free nokia maps use?

Not that its great, but at least it might tide you over till they sort out a fix.

Thanks for the info about the phone, looking forward to getting it, though I am worried about the screen.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 PM

They have sold a few here but it sounded like most of them were sold online and therefore were supported elsewhere, however the units they have sold have worked flawlessly. I don`t remember when it became available from our distributor but i belive it was early this year. I`m not certain tho as i deal mostly with marine electronics.

I did try to leave it overnight but to no avail, it almost looks as if it only loads part of the program since the phone won`t work properly again until i restart it.

I did receive 90 days for free but what bugs me is the continuous connection when i use it, i`d better transfer some maps to it to keep the cost down until Garmin comes up with a solution but not a split second more!

As for the screen i`m going to get some display foil tomorrow and see if i can make a neat cover of the screen and front lens. If that doesn`t work we always have Displex
I`m looking forward to hear how your phone handles XT!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Ah, gotcha. I wondered if you had got the new version early.

I really cant see my handset being any different, unless some software you have interfears with it. And I doubt that as you must have got it very recently.

I hope I dont have to get a cover, as its usually in a pocket with nothing else (keys are always put in the other pocket from expirence).

I get my handset Friday, so I'll let you know as soon as I try it (Garmin will be the first thing on there).

And download the map for your country! Otherwise it will cost you horrid amounts.

Last edited by bartmanekul; 02-07-2008 at 09:04 PM.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 PM

I use the same pocket strategy but somehow the displays always get scratched and matte after a while but most of the marks can be polished away with displex.

I`ll make another call to the Garmin guys tomorrow and hear if they can get in touch with either Garmin UK or directly to the US, they have done miracles before so maybe i`m lucky this time too! Garmin has always had great support.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:34 AM

Just finished a call to Garmin and they would report the problem to the XT team.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Good job. I imagine they will start on a fix soon, as its likely to affect all new models (same processor, OS, etc).

Quick question - does it have the compass? Im afraid you have to start nokia maps for that (sorry!).

Its just I read a press release yesterday, and it said it had it in, but I thought that was just the new navigator.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
This is probably down to the fact that the 6220 is a S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 handset. In theory this is compatiable with S60 3.1, but there are sometimes problems, especially if an application is doing something a bit out of the norm.

Hopefully it will a fairly simple fix for Garmin.

I'll create a 6220 forum shortly - it also be the 6210 forum.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
Quick question - does it have the compass? Im afraid you have to start nokia maps for that (sorry!).
Lol! I haven`t seen a compass in Nokia Maps yet. Atleast nothing like the one in the XT unfortunately. It was a real pain to have to start nokia maps again but man it felt good shutting it down afterwards

Old 04-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Well, its not you alone. I have just installed Garmin on my 6220 classic, and it does exactly the same. I hope Garmin come up with something soon.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:05 PM

I`m sorry to hear that but also relieved! Now we have confirmed the issue with the newer version of S60. I am confident Garmin will sort this out quickly!

Old 15-07-2008, 06:09 AM

I noticed Garmin published a new version of XT and tried it but it didn`t seem to have any effect. Read more here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3939

Old 15-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I already tried it. Locks up just like before.